aberdeen-music

Musical Tastes

Brymon

After dishing out a fair bit of criticism to somebody elses corny ideas, I suppose it's only fair to chuck down what I'm listening to right now.

I've lately been in the mood for punk: mainly Refused, Fugazi, Million Dead, Capdown and very recently, Propagandhi.

Sometimes, I'll go for some rather classier post rock, along the lines of Explosions in the Sky & Silver Mt. Zion, or go the opposite direction with something less 'epic', like Ry Cooder (one of my high ranking favourites), Tom Waits, Django Reinhardt and Death Cab.

There are others, especially some electronic influences... but those are no where near as important to me as the above.

Edit: and of course Zappa and the Mothers. There's your fucking jazz.

I think in that sense I'm not a big fan of stuff which is like a melody a riff and a lyric because I find it childish like a nursery rhyme or something. I expect something deeper than that from music.

Can we assume from this that your constant vilification of all music in aberdeen is because it has childlike qualities, such as melody and lyrics?

I expect something deeper than that from music.

Boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss

meh meh meh meh

Boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss etc etc etc etc etc....................

I don't see why people are unwilling to accept that someone's backgrounds has a baring on their music taste. Ethnicity even has an obvious baring, this might also be due to differnet radio stations listened to in different areas where the make up of the population is quite differnet from another. That is still however an example of an enviromental factor having a baring on a group of people's music taste.

I never said the music in exodus or moshulu was good or anywhere else was bad. I just said that you get a different group of people in these places, partly because of social background, it isn't the only factor and I probably shouldn't have used it as an example becuase it is a weak one.

My point was that I thought enviromental factors have a large baring on people's attitude towards music. (what this topic is essentially about)

What a shower of namby pamby shite. You're entire theory is generalised for a start. You seem to be dreaming up some scenario involving toffs whipping the manservant to a spot of Stravinski' date=' and working class scallywags listening to Blur in their draughty slum. Class [b']does have a bearing huh? Says you and who's army?.

I did start off my first post talking about my own music tastes where I tried to explain my own thought process when listening to music, both concious and subconcious.

I used terms such as 'has some baring' and 'is a factor' to show that I accept many people go against the trend. Your attemped rubbishing actually isn't so far fetched, I suspect if you took information on those who bought Blur CD's you would have found that a large proportion came from a specific social backgound and age group. In the same way that you would find most of those who bought Westlife CD's were aged between 10 - 15, white, female and spend a lot of time watching TV. This would not account for all their fanbase, but would for a large proprotion and therefore it is fair to say enviromental factors have played a role in determining someone's music taste.

Enviromental factors do not decide everything but it has some baring, There already has been some research done into this area;

This guy has written a book about it http://www.le.ac.uk/psychology/acn5/spmconte.html published by Oxford University Press.

There is also strong evidence to say babies are effected by the music (and sounds) they hear while in the womb. http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/whatresearchwomb.asp

There is also evidence to say that music has an effect on the human body. http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/musicexercise.html

If anyone on here is involved with sociology, phycology or marketing, they probably know a lot more than I do about how products can be marketed to people of a specific background, the same is done with music. It is largely a negative thing but it would be foolish to deny it's existance.

Im really wanna know what people on this site look for in music.

Yet again, you keep havering away Hairyscarymark. The thread was not asking about society's effect on musical culture. It was asking for personal tastes. You are burying way too deep here bud.

Although I suppose if you see music as a way of impressing people through your apparent vast knowledge, then you could call your last few posts (which can frankly be described as boring essays) valid.

• Upvote 1

I don't see why people are unwilling to accept that someone's backgrounds has a baring on their music taste. Ethnicity even has an obvious baring' date=' this might also be due to differnet radio stations listened to in different areas where the make up of the population is quite differnet from another. That is still however an example of an enviromental factor having a baring on a group of people's music taste.

I never said the music in exodus or moshulu was good or anywhere else was bad. I just said that you get a different group of people in these places, partly because of social background, it isn't the only factor and I probably shouldn't have used it as an example becuase it is a weak one.

My point was that I thought enviromental factors have a large baring on people's attitude towards music. (what this topic is essentially about)

I did start off my first post talking about my own music tastes where I tried to explain my own thought process when listening to music, both concious and subconcious.

I used terms such as 'has some baring' and 'is a factor' to show that I accept many people go against the trend. Your attemped rubbishing actually isn't so far fetched, I suspect if you took information on those who bought Blur CD's you would have found that a large proportion came from a specific social backgound and age group. In the same way that you would find most of those who bought Westlife CD's were aged between 10 - 15, white, female and spend a lot of time watching TV. This would not account for all their fanbase, but would for a large proprotion and therefore it is fair to say enviromental factors have played a role in determining someone's music taste.

Enviromental factors do not decide everything but it has some baring, There already has been some research done into this area;

This guy has written a book about it [url']http://www.le.ac.uk/psychology/acn5/spmconte.html published by Oxford University Press.

There is also strong evidence to say babies are effected by the music (and sounds) they hear while in the womb. http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/whatresearchwomb.asp

There is also evidence to say that music has an effect on the human body. http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/musicexercise.html

If anyone on here is involved with sociology, phycology or marketing, they probably know a lot more than I do about how products can be marketed to people of a specific background, the same is done with music. It is largely a negative thing but it would be foolish to deny it's existance.

If you spend so long analysing it, when do you have time to enjoy it.

If your arguement was correct how come many siblings dont share the same taste despite a similar upbringing ?

I think you're forgetting the fact people have seperate tastes and minds of their own, regardless of what's marketed to whom it doesnt mean that other people wont pick up on it etc.

Cheers

Stuart

Yet again' date=' you keep havering away Hairyscarymark. The thread was not asking about society's effect on musical culture. It was asking for personal tastes. You are burying way too deep here bud.

Although I suppose if you see music as a way of impressing people through your apparent vast knowledge, then you could call your last few posts (which can frankly be described as boring essays) valid.[/quote']

Generaly the way a discussion works is that the topic eventually changes to another similar and related topic. I believe I wrote enough about my own music tastes in my first post. I then wrote what I believe causes some other people to listen to music. I am not the only one to do that to some degree on this topic.

"I view music as a way of impressing people?" wrong. This seems to be a frequent rhetoric used to attack dedicated musicians. It seems anyone who plays something which is fast is told they are wanking or it is 'too widdly' by people used to listening to slow music. I detect jealousy or insecurity. This is not even particularly relevant to this conversation. Musical expression is a skill which can be improved through education and practice.

If your arguement was correct how come many siblings dont share the same taste despite a similar upbringing ?

I never said that people were incapable of making decisions for themselves. I just said that enviromental factors play a role in determining what sort of music someone will enjoy listening to. It is not the only thing which is relevant to the thought process but it does make a difference.

I never said that people were incapable of making decisions for themselves. I just said that enviromental factors play a role in determining what sort of music someone will enjoy listening to.

Surely circumstance can only really define what exactly you are exposed to, not in fact, what you 'like'. Though this potentially brings up a fairly difficult concept in that, is it circumstance that defines musical taste and are all people capable of liking the same music depending on circumstance?

We are all surely, at least in the beginner stages of music listening, influenced by others. Take a good friend or sibling - could it be that, whatever music said person introduces you to is what defines your taste? We are all highly impressionable; blank canvasses that are merely influenced by others who were influenced by others etc etc etc?

Music Tastes...

Here's the top ten artistes in my CD collection:

Ben Folds

Jeff Buckley

Rufus Wainwright

Ginger of Wildhearts; Silver Ginger 5 and solo...

QOTSA

Deftones

Bellrays primarily just because Lisa Kekaula has the sexiest female voice in the world.

Beastie Boys

Bright Eyes

Therapy?

So pretty wide spanning. Though also like Dub War, Weezer, Divine Comedy, Ian Dury and The Blockheads, Burt Bacharach, George Gershwin, The Schitzophonics, Iggy Pop, Elton John, Billy Joel, Metallica, Led Zeppelin...oh and Simon and Garfunkel.

There you go, my musical taste partly summed up.

Dx

but that doesn't mean that the abstract is more meaningful' date=' just because less people get it.[/quote']

That's not what I was saying atall. I couldn't care less who does or doesn't "get it".

You don't understand mate. I'm not saying that you are wrong to like music which is more abstract' date=' just that you are wrong to think that it somehow has greater depth and meaning, because of this.[/quote']

No, you don't understand.

Can we assume from this that your constant vilification of all music in aberdeen is because it has childlike qualities' date=' such as melody and lyrics?[/quote']

No, as I've made clear in the other thread.

Boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom tss boom

It wouldn't be fair to have a go at you for this, since your age probably precludes you from having any understanding or appreciation atall of modern music.

That's not what I was saying atall. I couldn't care less who does or doesn't "get it".

No' date=' you don't understand.

No, as I've made clear in the other thread.

It wouldn't be fair to have a go at you for this, since your age probably precludes you from having any understanding or appreciation atall of modern music.[/quote']

Interesting how you have retorts to all our points, but no way of backing any of them up.

Interesting how you have retorts to all our points' date=' but no way of backing any of them up.[/quote']

I don't see you providing any evidence for your points so why should I? Yer wrong. Yer naive. It's that simple. I don't expect to be able to persuade you of this, or feel like I should make any effort to educate you.

It wouldn't be fair to have a go at you for this' date=' since your age probably precludes you from having any understanding or appreciation atall of modern music.[/quote']

I was taking the piss....Im quite partial to a bit of "modern" (I would call it dance)music and in fact have a very large (inherited) collection of bangin dance choons.....man!

G...

I don't see you providing any evidence for your points so why should I? Yer wrong. Yer naive. It's that simple. I don't expect to be able to persuade you of this' date=' or feel like I should make any effort to educate you.[/quote']

It's not evidence we're after really, just some discursive persuasion with a little more depth.

Guest bluesxman
It's not evidence we're after really' date=' just some discursive persuasion with a little more depth.[/quote']

I wouldn't hold your breath there, dismissing everyone else's taste in music, films, literature, art, etc as being beneath his level with no sound justification is what he does best.

I wouldn't hold your breath there' date=' dismissing everyone else's taste in music, films, literature, art, etc as being beneath his level with no sound justification is what he does best.[/quote']

Why are you being such a prick? Why do any of you think your opinion is worth anything more than anyone elses? It's only because you are content with pulling each others cocks all day, bathing in that tepid pool of tellytubby culture, smugly confident in your conformity, that you even feel like you have the guts to express a so called "opinion". None of you have your own opinions, or if you do you don't have the guts to stand by them, and you have the despicable habit of taking the piss out of those that actually do think for themselves.

THAT is a huge contributing factor to the cultural inadequacy of this city.

Guest bluesxman
Why are you being such a prick? Why do any of you think your opinion is worth anything more than anyone elses? It's only because you are content with pulling each others cocks all day' date=' bathing in that tepid pool of tellytubby culture, smugly confident in your conformity, that you even feel like you have the guts to express a so called "opinion". None of you have your own opinions, or if you do you don't have the guts to stand by them, and you have the despicable habit of taking the piss out of those that actually do think for themselves.

THAT is a huge contributing factor to the cultural inadequacy of this city.[/quote']

Because I am a prick. However I only pull my own cock, but not all day, I'm too old to have the energy for that these days. And my boss wouldn't be too happy at me whacking away like some demented spider monkey while I'm at work. And I've never watched Teletubbies, sorry. Is there not a more up to date metaphor for a spoon fed bunch of automatons these days? Should it not be some reference to reality TV?

Do you think the music you make has more artistic merit than most guitar based bands? Seriously i am interested to know and why you think so.

The majority of guitar based bands are just products for mass consumer society, so the ratio of artistic merit versus corporate trash is bound to be pretty low. I don't mean that as a criticism of the instrument, more-over, the people attracted to guitar simply don't seem to be the kind as interested in being original or creative (cue the angsty teen wanting to be a rockstar, abundance of slayer fans etc etc).

The majority of guitar based bands are just products for mass consumer society' date=' so the ratio of artistic merit versus corporate trash is bound to be pretty low. I don't mean that as a criticism of the instrument, more-over, the people attracted to guitar simply don't seem to be the kind as interested in being original or creative (cue the angsty teen wanting to be a rockstar, abundance of slayer fans etc etc).[/quote']

So what instrument do you need to play to be original/creative and why cant you be creative/original on the guitar....oh and i'm neither an angsty teen nor a slayer fan just interested...