aberdeen-music

Megadeth....

Dan G

...are fucking awesome.

I haven't listened to them in a little while, but just hearing listening songs like Break Point, Architecture Of Aggression, Lucretia, Set The World Afire and Black Friday this morning reminded me of how truly ace they were. And (other than their name) they weren't cheesy at all... despite what anyone says. Marty Friedman was a totally awesome guitarist. So was Mustaine for that matter...

There was no other band that sounded like them... although they got a bit shoddy after 94's Youthanasia (I still love that album though - I got it on my 12th Birthday!)

Man, I wish they could churn out another Rust In Peace.

Guest highroller

yes yes yes yes....at times (gulp) i prefer them to tallica!!

They just wrote really caatchy, crunchy (oh that tone) pop metal songs that were still heavy....I love all their stuff...everyone goes on about Rust in peace but for me the two albums either side were better...."so far, so good...so what!" and "countdown to extinction"

COuntdown for me was mustaines reaction the the black album so he wrote a TRULY classic record with "countdown..." full of great songs from start to finish....!!

Megadeth....always great and always truly great musicians...Nick Menza is a huge influence on my drumming......

Ah, Totally Mr Atom. I remember travelling to York with my parents and I had borrowed Rust in Peace from the library, it blew me away! I would of been 13 at the time ha ha, how time passes quickly.

Mustaine is definatly one of my favourite guitarists and Marty had the unique talent of playing with speed and soul

Guest highroller

hmm to be honest i though friedman lacked a tad of soul....

I preferered jeff youngs solos....dont get me wrong...friedman is part of the classic line up and is awesome but...hmmm...i guess comparing him to hammett is wrong...technically he is probably bettter (dan?) but he doesnt have that hammett feel and SOUL!!

Friedman is a much better guitarist than Hammett, techically anyway. I would agree that some of Hammett's stuff had more feeling, but Marty Friedman used awesome choice of notes and really exotic scales that no one else could copy or sound like.

Hammett has his own style and it's ace, but it's easy to copy/rip off - whereas Friedman is just out there on his own.

When I first got into Megadeth I listened to them non-stop for about a year, but haven't much payed them much attention since. They definately have their own style which is impressive for a thrash metal band, their solo's have always been top notch, I really loved the one's on Worlds Need a Hero actually. Totally looking forward to Mustaine's new stuff, from the sample on the website it sounds like its gonna kick some ass (sounds very Rust in Peace)....HOWEVER... Metallica are superior.

Hetfield = King

Mustaine = Prince

.....Rob Flynn = Jester

Guest highroller

ok ok fill me in here!!

WHAT? the 'deth are coming back without Dave ellefson...dave no2?? He has been the only ever present with mustaine...WHY?????

ALso, why dont you guys like Flynn isnt he a wicked player?? I thought he was??!!

Megadeth have been one disappointment after another since Rust in Peace with the exception of Youthanasia.

I saw them on The Clash of the Titans tour in 1990 with Slayer, Testament and Suicidal Tendencies and they were pretty ace live not as good as Slayer and Testament thou.

Three years later i saw them supporting Metallica at Milton Keynes and they were fuckin' awful.

I hope that with Chris Poland back in there ranks they return to former glorys, but no David Effellson in there ranks whats that all about?

Originally posted by Demon_Of_The_Fall:

i own all the megadeth stuff, really great (rust in peace and world needs a hero esp) not sure if i prefer them to testement, but far better than slayer! slayer are a poor mans haunted...anyway megadeth kick ass \m/

Can you put a price on annoying slayer fans?

Oh quiet you and your "Slayer are a poor mans Haunted"

..coming from the man that thinks Arthur is better than Sponge Bob.

Arthur's a geek.

*Tom Araya scream*

well for all of you who aren't overly familiar with all their stuff, here's what I think their best stuff is...(in order from best to worst)

Rust In Peace - My favourite, and the most technically awesome album.

Peace Sells...But Whose Buying? - A couple of weaker songs near the end but some amazing speed metal

Countdown To Extinction - 3 equally ace albums, all with their moments of genius.

So Far So Good...So What!

Youthanasia

Hidden Treasures - Worth the price for 'Breakpoint' and '99 ways to Die' alone

The World Needs A Hero - 3 just above average albums.

Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!

Cryptic Writings

Risk - Pretty poop if you ask me.