aberdeen-music

Technical Question for you.

Bonesaw Bazz

So i know you ain't meant to play a bass through a guitar amp. BUT what about a guitar through a bass amp?

I have a huge Trace Elliot Stack 600w head 2 cabs. Cost me a penny or 2. Now, i have started playing guitar in a band that looks like touring a fair bit. Would rather spare myself the expence of buying a guitar amp if my bass amp (or half of) would do just as good a job.

Is this possible?

Cheers

I used to do it all the time...sounds beefy as fuck, be prepared for it to sound different to a normal, but obviously bass amps are built to withstand a much hotter signal/lower frequency than a guitar will ever produce, so copes like a breeze with a guitar. I know the guy from Pig Destroyer used to drive a bass amp with his guitar instead for that full on sound...

So i know you ain't meant to play a bass through a guitar amp. BUT what about a guitar through a bass amp?

I have a huge Trace Elliot Stack 600w head 2 cabs. Cost me a penny or 2. Now' date=' i have started playing guitar in a band that looks like touring a fair bit. Would rather spare myself the expence of buying a guitar amp if my bass amp (or half of) would do just as good a job.

Is this possible?

Cheers[/quote']

It'll work fine, there should be no problem dialing in enough top end with a trace amp, the only thing I would do is stick an overdrive pedal in the system to drive the pre amp a bit.

600w head. 4 x 10" cab and 1 x 18" cab. The head says 600w but it has 2 outputs. Obviously if i only use 1 cab i'm getting half the power. Right?

No, what are the cabs rated at, what you'll find is the amp will deliver 600 watts into 4ohms (sound ian will probably correct me on that) so if you check the wattage and ohms of the cabs and work it out from there.

Oh and are you sure about 1x18? isnt it a 1x15?

No' date=' what are the cabs rated at, what you'll find is the amp will deliver 600 watts into 4ohms (sound ian will probably correct me on that) so if you check the wattage and ohms of the cabs and work it out from there.

Oh and are you sure about 1x18? isnt it a 1x15?[/quote']

Right. Just checked the cabs over and they are rated at 300w (8 ohms) each. 4 x 10" & 1 x 18" i got the measuring tape out and it is 18. don't have the head here to check over but it's the AH600.

Tuned to drop D so not too low. When i use this live etc i will only be using one cab (easier to transport). I'm assuming the 4 x 10" would be the better option?

No' date=' what are the cabs rated at, what you'll find is the amp will deliver 600 watts into 4ohms (sound ian will probably correct me on that) so if you check the wattage and ohms of the cabs and work it out from there.

Oh and are you sure about 1x18? isnt it a 1x15?[/quote']

If the head has two 300W 8 Ohm outputs then it'll be half power if he only plugs into one.Damned if I can find ant tech specs that tell me.

If the two cabs are wired parallel, as you think G, the power won't be half, it depends on the output load impedance of the amp itself, which is, in effect, in parallel with the parallel speakers.

And yeah, use the 4x10, the 18 won't reproduce a lot of top end.

If the head has two 300W 8 Ohm outputs then it'll be half power if he only plugs into one.Damned if I can find ant tech specs that tell me.

If the two cabs are wired parallel' date=' as you think G, the power won't be half, it depends on the output load impedance of the amp itself, which is, in effect, in parallel with the parallel speakers.

And yeah, use the 4x10, the 18 won't reproduce a lot of top end.[/quote']

Okay. But surely 300w 8 ohms trace elliot head with 4 x 10" cab will be loud enough for a guitar? I use a distortion pedal obviously but should i use this overdrive pedal too? I think trying it out is gonna be the best option haha

Bazz, the Overdrive is pretty much....a distortion pedal. However, your pedal is a bit gash :)

This is ace, Ive been in the band 2 years I have a head and no cab, a guitar case which barely resembles anything and a guitar that is well......pish; you have been in for 2 months and you have bought a new guitar, a hard case and have a fuckign amp and pedal. I'm so crap. Filth.

Okay. But surely 300w 8 ohms trace elliot head with 4 x 10" cab will be loud enough for a guitar? I use a distortion pedal obviously but should i use this overdrive pedal too? I think trying it out is gonna be the best option haha

It is without a doubt loud enough even unmiked for a normal venue/hall.

I think it'll would be more than loud enough, you'll probably be able to play a gig in Stonehaven from the comfort of home.

I think it'll would be more than loud enough' date=' you'll probably be able to play a gig in Stonehaven from the comfort of home.[/quote']

All questions answered sufficiently. Thank you gentlemen.... and Dave. (i guess)

oh and if i didn't buy a guitar what the fuck was i gonna use? You didn't like the 2 bassists idea!!!! haha

If the two cabs are wired parallel' date=' as you think G, the power won't be half, it depends on the output load impedance of the amp itself, which is, in effect, in parallel with the parallel speakers.

And yeah, use the 4x10, the 18 won't reproduce a lot of top end.[/quote']

Yeah....what he said...:up:

Guitar into a bass amp will have a fairly large low end and a huge clean headroom, so a pedal would be essential for dirt

I remember trying an Ashdown five fifteen (65watt 1x15 bass combo) against my JCM2000 DSL401 (40 watt 1x12 guitar amp) and the Marshall came out on top for the sound I was after. Against a little 10 watt tranny amp the bass amp was awesome though ;)

David