aberdeen-music

thursday 16th March!!!tunnel's!!COPY HAHO>DEDALUS>COLONOPENBRACKET

roopy

Colonopenbracket were very impressive. Not much to really say about them, other than they can perform very well live when compared to their recorded material.

Dedalus...well, what to say? The traditional thing is to say "amazing!" and all the rest of it as it was their final gig, but to be brutally honest, it wasn't. The songs seemed to be all over the place to me, and had none of the charm that Dedalus used to have. If it wasn't Dedalus playing, I would've had different expectations - but to me, that wasn't the band that I knew as Dedalus. Almost Parallel was incredible though - and a fitting finale.

I saw one song by copy_haho and was bored to tears. I left. I'll give them another chance sometime when more in the mood, though.

Colonopenbracket were very impressive. Not much to really say about them' date=' other than they can perform very well live when compared to their recorded material.

Dedalus...well, what to say? The traditional thing is to say "amazing!" and all the rest of it as it was their final gig, but to be brutally honest, it wasn't. The songs seemed to be all over the place to me, and had none of the charm that Dedalus used to have. If it wasn't Dedalus playing, I would've had different expectations - but to me, that wasn't the band that I knew as Dedalus. Almost Parallel was incredible though - and a fitting finale.

I saw one song by copy_haho and was bored to tears. I left. I'll give them another chance sometime when more in the mood, though.[/quote']

Dedalus are hardly hyped to the point that most people say they're "amazing!" by default (I'd say more of my mates slag Dedalus off than love them) and watching one song by a band and then leaving on the basis of that song merely strengthens opinion that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about in terms of live music. It's like walking into a rock club and leaving after two songs because the DJ doesn't play the exact kind of music you like...

Dedalus are hardly hyped to the point that most people say they're "amazing!" by default (I'd say more of my mates slag Dedalus off than love them) and watching one song by a band and then leaving on the basis of that song merely strengthens opinion that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about in terms of live music. It's like walking into a rock club and leaving after two songs because the DJ doesn't play the exact kind of music you like...

Now now' date=' I didn't say that they were going to be called amazing because of who they were, I said it more because it was their final gig and to say anything less would probably be seen as an insult by most people.

I didn't really leave on the basis of that one song, more that I was leaving anyway and the song didn't shout "stay! this is going to be something amazing!". If the song had been ace, I would've convinced the people I was with to watch more of the set..but it wasn't. It said to me "this set is going to be tedious" and made me want to spend my time doing something else, which I did. Maybe the set wasn't tedious, maybe it was the best thing ever - but to me, I made the right choice in leaving.

To be honest, first impressions count for a hell of a lot, especially when you consider the amount of choice that people have. If you don't capture the customer with the first song, first drink, first whatever, you've got a good chance of losing them.

[url']http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20040713-000004.html

Interesting article about first impressions. I don't think the context changes just because it's live music - to be brutally honest, shouldn't a band have one of their best songs to begin with anyway? That song might make the difference between standing on the dancefloor captivated and standing at the bar talking to your mates.

• Upvote 1

I didn't really leave on the basis of that one song' date=' more that I was leaving anyway and the song didn't shout "stay! this is going to be something amazing!". If the song had been ace, I would've convinced the people I was with to watch more of the set..but it wasn't. It said to me "this set is going to be tedious" and made me want to spend my time doing something else, which I did. Maybe the set wasn't tedious, maybe it was the best thing ever - but to me, I made the right choice in leaving.

To be honest, first impressions count for a hell of a lot, especially when you consider the amount of choice that people have. If you don't capture the customer with the first song, first drink, first whatever, you've got a good chance of losing them.

[url']http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20040713-000004.html

Interesting article about first impressions. I don't think the context changes just because it's live music - to be brutally honest, shouldn't a band have one of their best songs to begin with anyway? That song might make the difference between standing on the dancefloor captivated and standing at the bar talking to your mates.

Why were you leaving?

I still stand by my general rule that I listen to at least the fourth song before leaving during a bands set based on personal opinion and I can only recall that happening recently during The Kooks at the Tunnels but even that must've been a wee while ago. First impressions don't really come into the live environment in this case for me 'cause by the time the last band went on where were all your other choices of going for live music based in Aberdeen?

Colonopenbracket were very impressive. Not much to really say about them' date=' other than they can perform very well live when compared to their recorded material.

I saw one song by copy_haho and was bored to tears. I left. I'll give them another chance sometime when more in the mood, though.[/quote']

i did write a long and very interesting reply to this then i realised that i cannot be arsed.

Guest Steven Dedalus

In response to cloud, I think that we were more charming than we ever were. In fact, I myself was probably the most charming person who ever lived.

Guest bluesxman

Cloud, you should not have to deliberate over what is the 'right thing to say' when seeing a band, if you actually like music it should come pretty easily from how you feel on the night. Honesty should be the main ingredient of any review worth reading.

Guest idol_wild

You should let that small winged insect in your bonnet out. It's beginning to suffocate.

I'm Larsen B' date=' you don't know me, which made it all the stranger and chortle inducing.[/quote']

how do you know me then? im scared. yoo got a pic of yoo or anything? im sure i didnt mean to give yoo a weird look, i am just generally weird.:up:

To be fair the whole set i was thinking 'how cool would it be if they invited Dave up to play Almost Parallel'.....Dun dun dun...."Who thinks we should invite Dave Officer up to play Almost Parallel?" Fucking hell that absolutely made my night/week/month/year - was absolutely fantastic and could probably ramble on about it forever. You should have seen the smile on my face....i'm sure Katy will back up that.

yeah and don't think you stopped grinning for a good 15 minutes.

ok my input is:

: ( = this is the second time i had seen them and, though i can see their appeal, i really think they are very poor/shit. The songs have no sunbstance/structure and all sound the same. The samples/electronic beats are nothing new. But yeah - they have the whole "wow - we're doind something 'different' thing" but i was getting pretty bored of hearing the same song with diffenent words for 30 minutes.

dedalus = again only the second time i had seen this band. i liked them the first time, and really liked them this time. with being pretty new to the aberdeen "scene" i didn't know the song they played last but it sounded very cool and the emotion/excitment of the band and the crowd made it even better.

copy ho ha = they didn't top dedalus but seemed quite interesting/intriguing actually - will try and check them out in the future. a bit dull to listen to for the first time though.

anywayzzz - fun night.