aberdeen-music

The cut scene from the Empire Strikes Back

jester1470

A furious light sabre duel is under way. Darth Vader is backing Luke Skywalker toward the end of the gantry. A quick move by Vader chops off Luke's hand! It goes spinning off into the ventilation shaft. Luke backs away. He looks round, but realizes there's nowhere to go but straight down.

VADER: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

LUKE: "He told me enough! He told me you killed him!"

VADER: "No! I am your father!"

LUKE: "No, it's not true! It's impossible."

VADER: "Search your feelings; you know it to be true."

LUKE: "NO!"

VADER: "Yes, it is true and you know what else? You know that brass droid of yours?"

LUKE: "Threepio?"

VADER: "Yes, Threepio, I built him when I was seven years old."

LUKE: "No."

VADER: "Seven years old? And what have you done? Look at yourself, no hand, no job, and couldn't even levitate your own ship out of the swamp."

LUKE: "I destroyed your precious Death Star!"

VADER: "When you were 20! When I was 10, I single-handedly destroyed a Trade Federation Droid Control ship!"

LUKE: "Well, it's not my fault."

VADER: "Oh, here we go. 'Poor me! My father never gave me what I wanted for my birthday! Boo hoo! My daddy's the Dark Lord of the Sith. Wahhh wahhh!'"

LUKE: "Shut up."

VADER: "You're a slacker! By the time I was your age, I had exterminated the Jedi knights!"

LUKE: "I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's Canyon!"

VADER: "Oh, for the love of the Emperor, 10 years old, winner of the Boonta Eve Open. Only human to ever fly a Pod Racer, right here baby!"

* * * Luke looks down the shaft and takes a step toward it.

VADER: "I was wrong. You're not my kid. I don't know who you are. But you're certainly no relation to me."

* * * Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates, then plunges down the shaft. Darth Vader looks after him.

VADER: "And get a haircut!"

Luke doesn't become ace until ROTJ.

Read Jester's thang a few times before, it's good. I always get a kick out of the bit in ANH when Luke, Solo ect arrive on the Death Star and Vader says : "Something...a presence I've not felt since..." NO SHIT SHERLOCK! Your son, the droid you built as a kid, and your former mentor just showed up!

Oh come on! Luke is badass when he goes into Jabba's Palace! Bear in mind he almost single handedly rescues Leia, Han, Chewie and Threepio (Lando appears to do bugger all), destroys Jabba's sail barge and takes out umpteen guards, including stopping Boba Fett (Solo just finishes him off). AND the speeder bike chase! I get wet when he fires up his saber and cuts the fins of the scout trooper's bike....

AND the final confrontation with Vader. Quid pro quo - Luke in ROTJ is ace. I need a life.

Oh come on! Luke is badass when he goes into Jabba's Palace! Bear in mind he almost single handedly rescues Leia' date=' Han, Chewie and Threepio (Lando appears to do bugger all), destroys Jabba's sail barge and takes out umpteen guards, including stopping Boba Fett (Solo just finishes him off). AND the speeder bike chase! I get wet when he fires up his saber and cuts the fins of the scout trooper's bike....

AND the final confrontation with Vader. Quid pro quo - Luke in ROTJ is ace. I need a life.[/quote']

Still, I think Vader let him win. Plus Kenobi could have wiped the floor with Skywalker.

Still' date=' I think Vader let him win.[/quote']

Well yeah, the good left in him didn't want to kill his son, hence the attempt to convert him. Luke (still effectively a padawan) did pretty well against the two most powerful Sith Lords in the galaxy.

Plus Kenobi could have wiped the floor with Skywalker.

What d'you mean? Which Skywalker? Old Ben or young Scottish Obi Wan Kenobi?

I heard an interesting conversation about people having star wars themed weddings the other day. Along the lines of getting everyone to dress as stormtroopers, the ushers and best man as imperial guards, father of the bride as the emporer (or maybe even the minister!) etc. Then things got really silly when someone suggested a LOTR crossover and getting half the church to dress as orcs. Gollum was also suggested but I pointed out he'd steal the rings.

I 100% agree' date=' but Obi-Wan was a *properly* trained Jedi, Luke's only template was two ancient masters who, like you say, could barely hold a saber.[/quote']

You'd think one of them could have given him a holocron... However I bet Yoda could have still kicked ass if he'd chosen to...

Cheers

Stuart

You'd think one of them could have given him a holocron... However I bet Yoda could have still kicked ass if he'd chosen to...

Cheers

Stuart

none of them really taught him how to fight. Obi Wan did a bit on the Falcon, Yoda tought him the other Jedi stuff. I doubt if, in either Yoda's exile to Dagobah or Obi Wan's escape to Dagobah, either of them would have had time to grab a holocron.

Although are Holocrons considered cannonical in the film series?

They're mentioned in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. It's difficult to know whether the books are considered canon or not especially as Lucas himself borrows from the books when his world needs padding out. Coruscant as a name and as Imperial central was created by Timothy Zahn for his first trilogy.

Cheers

Stuart