aberdeen-music

Gimmie some folk music please

framheim

Maria Miller from Elgin is pleasent.

I saw The Old Blind Dogs a few weeks ago and it was a nice live but wouldn't listen to it at home.

Not sure whether what classification this would be under but I find St Andrew - Songs from the Pavey very amusing and quirky. Dundonian weirdness.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye, "the snow it melts..." is also done by James Yorkstone (someone mentioned King Kreosote, a pal of James Y)...

I am looking forward to hearing Harem Scarem playing with Bonnie Prince Billy in the lemon tree...

I've recently got into Tunng (English "folktronica", classic english folk + laptop glitch ... interesting mix).

peep

aye' date=' "the snow it melts..." is also done by James Yorkstone (someone mentioned King Kreosote, a pal of James Y)...

I am looking forward to hearing Harem Scarem playing with Bonnie Prince Billy in the lemon tree...

I've recently got into Tunng (English "folktronica", classic english folk + laptop glitch ... interesting mix).

peep[/quote']

I have to admit to liking Chumbawamba's "Readymades" where they sampled lots of folksingers (Lal Waterson, Dick Gaughan, Sam Larner etc).

Anne Briggs' version of "The snow it melts...." is mesmerising!!!

Jeannie Robertson and Lizzie Higgins, as mentioned already in this thread, are pretty definitive as singers in the traveller tradition - There's also Stanley Robertson (not sure of the exact relation), who is a storyteller and musician of sorts - not sure if he's recorded anything though. Also in this north-east musical dynasty is Carmen Higgins - fiddle player - haven't seen her about Aberdeen for ages though.

Bothy Ballads - I've got an old book of Bothy Ballads (Kerr's Cornkisters, I think it's called) and I sing a couple of them myself at various scouting functions (Burn's Suppers, campfires, etc) - give me a PM if you're interested in borrowing it.

Also check out:

The Easy Club - I believe their CDs have just been re-issued - They described themselves as "Traditional rythmn and Swing" - a very pleasing mix of folk and jazz. There's also a spectacular bodhran solo on their first album "Chance and Design".

Silly Wizard - Scottish band, featuring Phil Cunningham (who now regularly appears with Aly Bain) and his (now deceased) brother. Their two live albums "Live in America" and "Golden Golden" are very good.

Battlefield Band - still on the go (I think), but have gone through an enormous number of (amicable) line up changes.

A few folk have already mentioned Dick Gaughan and Dougie Maclean - I can recommend them too.

Eric Bogle is a scottish songwriter who emigrated to Australia many years ago, and who wrote 2 of the most famous anti-war songs of recent years: "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" (covered by the Pogues on their second album "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash", and "The Green Fields of France".

The Old Blind Dogs - I haven't heard them with their current lineup, but when their singer was Ian Benzies, they certainly did a couple of north-east ballads.

Hope that helps

Regards

Flossie

There is also Alasdair Roberts who recorded the excellent 'No Earthly Man' in sunny Forgue (unless Alan Cynic has lied to me). Earlier albums are more folky though.

I really like the Chris Woods 'The Lark Descending' (but it is distinctly of the english variety...) Great versions of John Barleycorn and Lord Bateman.

There is also Alasdair Roberts who recorded the excellent 'No Earthly Man' in sunny Forgue (unless Alan Cynic has lied to me). Earlier albums are more folky though.

'Tis true! And the legend that is MKll plays flute on it.

I took a risk on a Barabara Dickson album in a charity shop recently, because it was from 72 and had the fantastic Nic Jones on it. It's called 'From the beggar's mantle, fringed with gold', and was surprisingly good...she covers a few trad. songs on it.

I'd like to see Richard Thompson forced into a studio at claymore-point to do an album of dark traditional stuff.

From the initial post:

Alasdair Roberts is ace.

And bearing in mind the alt.country quote it should be noted that he's recorded with Will Oldham and Jason Molina. I'd love to hear it though (Amalgamated Sons of Rest). Any body heard it/got it?

And he supported Bonnie 'Prince' Billy at least at London during his last tour. And if Peep hadn't been rabbiting on shite as usual I'dve heard lots more of his set as well.

And hey you can edit stuff:

I'd also add that there is a Momus/Anna Laplantine cd called 'Summerisles' which is 'inspired' by the faux folk of the Wicker Man film. The Tailor Of Dunblane and Spin Thread Annie are well worth checking out.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/analogbaroque/artists/momusannelaplantine.htm

'Tis true! And the legend that is MKll plays flute on it.

I believed you really. I was just jealous I didn't get to meet him. The album credits 'recorded in Aberdeenshire' anyways I think.

Oh and I believe that Martin Simpson is playing with Martin Taylor and somebody else as 3 guitars at the Lemon Tree mid Feb. Blues, Folk and Jazz, each with their own sets as well as together.

He's pretty good in my book.

Worth a look dave...

Dochas

Saturday 14th January

Tickets 12 (8 concessions & Regulars)

Doors Open: 8.30pm

Show Starts: 9.30pm

From every corner of the Highlands and Islands, Dochas produce one of the freshest and most exciting sounds in the contemporary folk scene and have taken it by storm in the last two years. In 2004 they toured Ireland, Europe and Canada and rounded off the year by deservedly winning the Best Newcomers title at the Scottish Trad Awards. 2005 saw them release their second album An Durna Amhail to great acclaim, chalk up major festival appearances and set off on a hugely successful Tune Up tour with Michael McGoldrick, including a scorching Lemon Tree show during Rootin Aboot.

gig details on Lemon Tree website

I believed you really. I was just jealous I didn't get to meet him. The album credits 'recorded in Aberdeenshire' anyways I think.

Oh and I believe that Martin Simpson is playing with Martin Taylor and somebody else as 3 guitars at the Lemon Tree mid Feb. Blues' date=' Folk and Jazz, each with their own sets as well as together.

He's pretty good in my book.[/quote']

Yep...I saw both those Martins as part of the Martins Four tour (with Martin Carthy and Juan Martin). Martin Simpson's 'Bramble briar' album is a cracker!

Dochas might be well worth a look (as long as it doesn't descend into rocking ceilidh stuff:down: )

Good call on Archie Fisher, and the Fisher Family...where he's joined by his sisters for a 1966 album which is mostly traditional, including some North-East songs. My copy is very warped, and the first 3 songs on each side skip, but it still gets played occasionally His Radio Scotland show is often worth hearing (he had Sharron Kraus on fairly recently).

I haven't heard that Roy Williamson one...I still get a nervous tic when the Corries are mentioned (over exposure to their naffest stuff when I was a bubbly-nebbed bairn!).

Archie Fisher presents Radio Scotland's folk music programme, "Travelling Folk", on a Thursday evening (and has done for as long as I've been into folk music)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/view/show.shtml?travelling

And Archie Fisher's sister, Cilla, is one of the creators of "the best children's entertainment in the world" (according to Folk Roots magazine) - Scotland's own Singing Kettle.

http://www.singingkettle.com/cilla_facts.html

Regards

Flossie