aberdeen-music

Gimmie some folk music please

framheim

Good call on Archie Fisher' date=' and the Fisher Family...where he's joined by his sisters for a 1966 album which is mostly traditional, including some North-East songs. My copy is very warped, and the first 3 songs on each side skip, but it still gets played occasionally His Radio Scotland show is often worth hearing (he had Sharron Kraus on fairly recently).

I haven't heard that Roy Williamson one...I still get a nervous tic when the Corries are mentioned (over exposure to their naffest stuff when I was a bubbly-nebbed bairn!).[/quote']

Well, i didn't know that. I'll have to tune in. I agree on the Corries though. But there's a couple of songs on that solo album i'd still listen to today (if i had a copy)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth a look dave...

Dochas

Saturday 14th January

Tickets 12 (8 concessions & Regulars)

Doors Open: 8.30pm

Show Starts: 9.30pm

From every corner of the Highlands and Islands' date=' Dochas produce one of the freshest and most exciting sounds in the contemporary folk scene and have taken it by storm in the last two years. In 2004 they toured Ireland, Europe and Canada and rounded off the year by deservedly winning the Best Newcomers title at the Scottish Trad Awards. 2005 saw them release their second album An Durna Amhail to great acclaim, chalk up major festival appearances and set off on a hugely successful Tune Up tour with Michael McGoldrick, including a scorching Lemon Tree show during Rootin Aboot.

gig details on Lemon Tree website

This was a stunning gig! Tasteful, uplifting and had the whole audience silenced - but they could maybe throw a spanner in their folky-works a little and play with their format.... Very talented group of lasses tho....

Jenna Reid - Dochas' Award Winning Shetland Fiddler, "Best Up & Coming Artist" at Scotland's Traditional Music Awards 2005 - will be back performing solo at The Tunnels on Wednesday 22nd February with support from Fiona Keenan and Sharon Hassan.

www.jennareid.co.uk

jenna.jpg

www.vocoustics.com

• 2 months later...
And bearing in mind the alt.country quote it should be noted that he's recorded with Will Oldham and Jason Molina. I'd love to hear it though (Amalgamated Sons of Rest). Any body heard it/got it?

And he supported Bonnie 'Prince' Billy at least at London during his last tour. And if Peep hadn't been rabbiting on shite as usual I'dve heard lots more of his set as well.

And hey you can edit stuff:

I'd also add that there is a Momus/Anna Laplantine cd called 'Summerisles' which is 'inspired' by the faux folk of the Wicker Man film. The Tailor Of Dunblane and Spin Thread Annie are well worth checking out.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/analogbaroque/artists/momusannelaplantine.htm

missed this post every time i'd read this thread before, i have that amalgamated sons of rest cd. its' only 6 tracks but it's nae bad. worth a listen.

missed this post every time i'd read this thread before' date=' i have that amalgamated sons of rest cd. its' only 6 tracks but it's nae bad. worth a listen.[/quote']

me too!

especially the bit about me rabbiting on through Alisdair's set....I swear it was that mountain man talking to ME!...