aberdeen-music

Which Aberdeen Bands Pull The Biggest Crowds?

Sam 45

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to a Filthpact gig that didn't have a bad odour :p

Good points raised though - get off your arse and stop moaning about playing to no one. If more bands were as active in recruiting crowds as some mentioned above then it could surely only mean good things for the music scene in general?

• 2 weeks later...
For years ive seen bands blame someone else for the lack of people turning up for gigs' date=' but yet they do nothing to change it. Its easy to sit and blame paul stewart/jamsey/kirt/whoever is the promoter for not promoting well enough but really what do bands do on their own?

[/quote']

i think its called being lazy. i do agree though.

the onus is on the promoter to get that show busy, at the end of the day its the promoters rep thats on the line if the show is a flop.

but then there is the other side of the coin, bands should be doign blah blah

to be honest i couldnt care less about all of that

honestly, i dont understand why local bands insist on using a promoter for shoddy all local line ups ? (all you are doing is putting up the ticket price)

it is not fucking difficult to book a venue, most have pas n stuff (and even still its nae hard to hire a pa for a small space somehwere), get a load of flyers/posters up and out round town, whoring messageboards etc and with some of the no-brainer local line ups i have seen, it is impossible to fail

i know that when one of the bands i am playing is ready to gig, we will be booking that first gig ourselves on a saturday night and making a packet of money to go and do a great recording/release

just get out there and do it yourself. nobody is better at promoting your band than you! why pay someone else to do a half arse job of it!!!

honestly' date=' i dont understand why local bands insist on using a promoter for shoddy all local line ups ? (all you are doing is putting up the ticket price)[/quote']

I can think of a few reasons -

a) Wanting to get in the promoter's good books

b) Not knowing how things work

c) Knowing that the promoter will do the work as far as postering/promoting goes

d) (not really here, but) Opportunity arising from playing the gig

Few other things too.

Just depends on the band I guess, not every band has the confidence to go out there and do it all themselves, or perhaps they don't even want to - after all, there's no law that says "bands should do this and that".

I think it would help Aberdeen as a whole if venues started insisting on a minimum number through the door though regardless of what night, but I guess there simply isn't enough good stuff floating around to make it possible.

honestly' date=' i dont understand why local bands insist on using a promoter for shoddy all local line ups ? (all you are doing is putting up the ticket price)

it is not fucking difficult to book a venue, most have pas n stuff (and even still its nae hard to hire a pa for a small space somehwere), get a load of flyers/posters up and out round town, whoring messageboards etc and with some of the no-brainer local line ups i have seen, it is impossible to fail

[/quote']

I'd agree with that. All local line ups are a piece of piss. Most bands know other bands, get them to play, knock up some posters, get some flyers done and you're off and running. Share the profits between the bands and everyone wins.

I'd agree with that. All local line ups are a piece of piss. Most bands know other bands' date=' get them to play, knock up some posters, get some flyers done and you're off and running. Share the profits between the bands and everyone wins.[/quote']

exactly everyone wins

the bands get the moneys and the crowds and some "promoter" who put a few posters up gets fuck all. the way it should be!

im not going to reply to cloud, even though he is on my ignore list i can still click to see his posts and his last one was full of shit as per usual. all i will say is i would hate to see him promoting gigs/owning a venue in aberdeen, it would be like having the fucking tory party and the nazis putting on gigs

I'd agree with that. All local line ups are a piece of piss. Most bands know other bands' date=' get them to play, knock up some posters, get some flyers done and you're off and running. Share the profits between the bands and everyone wins.[/quote']

tears of grace are a prime example of a band who get off their asses and do this. their last few(3?) drummonds gigs have been VERY successfull.