aberdeen-music

A year since Dimebag died

Hog

"Motown! Motown junk! I laughed when Lennon got shot"

You beat both me and Hummer to a Manics reference opportunity! I must be slowing up...

I put to you that you only know he was a wife beater because of Lennon himself and his honesty. He was not proud of the fact' date=' but was big enough to admit to it and then campaign and write for sex equality of women.[/quote']

Do you think of Mark Chapman as being "big enough" to admit to John Lennon's murder? Should that mean he's absolved of his crime?

Pity Lennon wasn't "giving peace a chance" when he was battering women and getting drunk and being abusive.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

getting drunk and hassling bar staff? i think people may be scraping the barrel in order to prove that Lennon was evil personified here.

I dont think these things are quantifiable, but i think Lennon did enough good in the world to merit being thought of as a "good" person. Any mistake he made in his past he admitted to, and showed genuine remorse. Remember when these beatings took place, the Beatles were in unchartered territory in terms of fame, and i can only imagine the way that could mess with someones mind. Not using that as an excuse, but John Lennon was probably fucked in the head at this point.

Anyway, R.I.P Dimebag, I remember hearing about his death a year ago and it was horrific. cant say im a fan of his music though but very sad.

Hog why even mention Lennon at all if you having nothing but shite to say about him? I know nothing about Dimebag but would not write such a post even if he had some unpleasent traits.

You are displaying both ignorance and disrepect. Quite apart from the influence Lennon had on music as part of The Beatles' date=' you pick on one aspect of his personal history.

I put to you that you only know he was a wife beater because of Lennon himself and his honesty. He was not proud of the fact, but was big enough to admit to it and then campaign and write for sex equality of women. The other thing to consider is that life and morals today are very different to a male dominated tiem where domestic violence wasn't unusual.

No one is saint (certainly not Lennon) and I'm sure Dimebag had his flaws and I know you are a reasonable and intelligent bloke, that's why I just can't undersand your bitterness.

As for the other Manic's joker, think for yourself.

John Lennon did not blow his head off or die from drug abuse...he was murdered without motive or reason. Maybe the eejits on here would have respected him a bit more. Oh the irony.[/quote']

I respect that he made music which was enjoyed by millions of people as I have already stated (that is not showing disrespect). I dont respect him regarding beating the shit out of his wife so therefore I have respect and disrespect towards him. Its easy to say "I was wrong" but to be honest, you shouldnt hit your wife in the first place.

As I have already said, Im bored and perhaps having a crappy stressful day so venting anger in perhaps the wrong way. Apologies. P.S. as you know, I dont usually have angry rants, not my style.

You beat both me and Hummer to a Manics reference opportunity! I must be slowing up...

Do you think of Mark Chapman as being "big enough" to admit to John Lennon's murder? Should that mean he's absolved of his crime?

Pity Lennon wasn't "giving peace a chance" when he was battering women and getting drunk and hassling bar staff.

Hardly a comparable crime.

Lennon was no angel and if that moron hadn't wanted to make a name for himself maybe you could address your "point" with Lennon himself.

One thing about the comments Hog and yourself. Do you buy and support artists who are morally perfect and have flawless characters? If not, you're both hypocrites.

getting drunk and hassling bar staff? i think people may be scraping the barrel in order to prove that Lennon was evil personified here.

Yeh, I've re-worded that, 'hassling bar staff' didn't sum up what I meant very well. What I was generally getting at is that it's well documented that during his split with Yoko he became a violent and abusive drunk. I don't think that he was "evil personified" in any way, but I think it's very, very naive to see him as a lovely, peaceful guy.

There was a cracking story in one of the tabloids the other day about John Lennon getting hammered in a club and then deciding it would be funny to go and try and order drinks with a tampon on his head, which resulted in him being refused service. He then began to shout "Do you know who I am?" at the barmaid, who replied "Yeh, you're an idiot with a tampon on his head!".

Hardly a comparable crime.

Lennon was no angel and if that moron hadn't wanted to make a name for himself maybe you could address your "point" with Lennon himself.

One thing about the comments Hog and yourself. Do you buy and support artists who are morally perfect and have flawless characters? If not' date=' you're both hypocrites.[/quote']

There is a big difference between someone who is not so perfect, hey even Dimebag drank to much, had a titty bar etc etc but thats a different ball game to smacking your wife. However, Im not getting dragged back into this again, I apologised, the end.

P.S. I only really buy albums by people who suffer from Bipolar disorder :up:

I respect that he made music which was enjoyed by millions of people as I have already stated (that is not showing disrespect). I dont respect him regarding beating the shit out of his wife so therefore I have respect and disrespect towards him. Its easy to say "I was wrong" but to be honest' date=' you shouldnt hit your wife in the first place.

As I have already said, Im bored and perhaps having a crappy stressful day so venting anger in perhaps the wrong way. Apologies. P.S. as you know, I dont usually have angry rants, not my style.[/quote']

Nae bother Hog, just have a bit of tact and thought.

According to Cynthia Lennon' date=' John only hit her once, outside a toilet in the Cavern before they were married. He was drunk and angry that she'd been canoodling with Stuart Sutcliffe beforehand. She forgave him three months later and agreed to marry him. He never hit her again, and was remorseful for the rest of his life.

John Lennon is one of the towering figures in popular culture and will be revered for his contribution to music and human rights for decades to come. I'll be listening to nothing but Lennon and Beatles music all day today to honour his memory.

I don't have any Pantera records. Dimebag Darrell means nothing to me. It's sad he died, though.[/quote']

Dave that is so cheesy!! If you extended it to any song related to John Lennon you could have Motown Junk and Mark David Chapman by Trail of Dead. Now wouldn't that be much better?

hmm

i can't believe this thread. Really. Dimebag was and is a pioneer in metal. i dont play guitar, but damn i know he's good. He was part of a musical movement that inspiored me to start playing drums. To see someone remind us of the anniversary of his death is cool. But to see people come on here and get offended cos of somethin said bout Lennon, and mouth off at dimebag, it sickens me.

PS. anyone with an avatar of pete doherty must be a twat

:gringo:

Pity Lennon wasn't "giving peace a chance" when he was battering women and getting drunk and being abusive.

You never answered my question. Do you buy and support artists who are morally perfect and have flawless characters?

According to Cynthia Lennon' date=' John only hit her once, outside a toilet in the Cavern before they were married.[/quote']

Just the once AND he was drunk?! :rolleyes:

He also attacked various members of his band whilst recording with Phil Spektor and various people while out in L.A during his infamous binge after he split with Yoko.

For a peace-lover he certainly loved a fight!

You never answered my question. Do you buy and support artists who are morally perfect and have flawless characters?

No, I'm sure I have records by artists who've commited a multitude of crimes and at no point did I ever say people shouldn't listen to John Lennon's music. I was arguing the notion of John Lennon as some kind of unquestionable deity, whilst people seem to think it's fine to downplay the death of Dimebag.

alright then neil. I feel that hogs comments on john lennon and i thought i would retort. I dont think dimebag was a rock n roll legend either.

Allergic to all things heavy metal I take it?

Can't believe it was that long ago. I remember driving along in my car listening to Cemetery Gates, so sad :down:

Yes' date=' according to Cynthia. I'd take her testimony in this case over anyone else's.[/quote']

I was implying that hitting a woman whilst drunk and even 'just the once' is absolutely no excuse.

However, I'm sure he did do some good in his time (anti-war awareness etc) so I can't begrudge him that. Just a pity he didn't keep his fists in his flare pockets instead of swinging them around.

No' date=' I'm sure I have records by artists who've commited a multitude of crimes and at no point did I ever say people shouldn't listen to John Lennon's music. I was arguing the notion of John Lennon as some kind of unquestionable deity, whilst people seem to think it's fine to downplay the death of Dimebag.[/quote']

Well I've said in virually every reply that I don't think he was a saint and I accept that along with every other person of huge talent he had massive flaws (christ he was a rock star). The thing I object to is your focus on trying to make a huge deal of some aspects of his personality when he was a complex character and achieved an unimaginable positive impact on music and the world in general. For that alone I believe he deserves respect.

Also I can't speak for everyone but I have not been disrespectful to Dimebag during this sorry thread and the only reason there has been negativity at all in this was the crass, cheap and unnecessary swipe in the opening post ...but Hog has covered this.

By the way, is Cliff Richard your hero?

ripdime3.jpg

812532_10_Small_.jpg

2297120_10_Small_.jpg

51861655_10_Small_.jpg

R.I.P 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott '66-'04.

Dime was a massive influence on my playing and it really saddens me to think of what happened a year ago :down:

I've been listening to all my Pantera albums (all the one's they have from C.F.H. > R.T.S.) and also the Damageplan album on loop all day today.

I'm gonna make sure that the rest of my band knows at least one Pantera song for when we are gigging!

James

Guest Mr Blastcap

when people say Pantera, i allways think of one of the Thundercats -HO-

i know he was called Panthro or summat.

rock on binbag

this keyboard is gash...