aberdeen-music

Why do you like your favourite genre of music?

Hog

I listen to rock more than anything else (what's usually described as prog rock (I'm including fusion in here)).

Most genres seem to come about because a record company decides what the new image is and signs a few bands who sound the same, to be the new "thing" (hence, you don't get emo fans going to a funk gig etc). For me, that's far too restrictive. Rock seems to have just appeared as a collective name for a bunch of bands in the 60s/ 70s who were obviously popular, but weren't pop bands (weren't really into making singles etc). From there, it can include anything from Steve Hillage to Steeleye Span or from Yes to Black Sabbath. In essence, the bands created the genre as opposed to the genre creating the bands.

I also think the level of thought, creativity and musicianship that went into rock music was far greater than anything before or since (except for jazz (although I find a lot of jazz too anally retentive) and classical music, which again is extremely diverse, but I prefer the sound of a band to an orchestra on most occasions).

Guest bluesxman
I like the music I like because I love feeling energy' date=' I love feeling like a robot in my head is commanding me to dance and I love being hit by a wall of sound that has the ability to really make me feel something both physically and emotionally.[/quote']

My own collection spans many genres, I haven't believed in being restricted to one style of music since my teens when 'peers' would try and tell me I shouldn't like one band because I liked another. I've been trying to put together an answer to describe why I am drawn to certain music but I think it's something like that stated above....

Guest Main Agent
Be it Punk' date=' Folk, Electronic, Metal, Blues, emo, Jazz, Ambient, Grindcore, Pop blah blah.

What do you think draws you towards your favourite style of music?[/quote']

It's coz I is stoopid, and MTV tells me what I like :nono::rockon::cheers:

I'm usually drawn either by something new/unique/interesting, that doesn't just replicate stuff I've heard a million times before,

or something that engages me deeply on an emotional level - that holds my attention and my interest.

Interesting or novel, basically - a combination of both is extremely rare.

AKM

Be it Punk' date=' Folk, Electronic, Metal, Blues, emo, Jazz, Ambient, Grindcore, Pop blah blah.

[/quote']

Grrr, "pop" isnt a genre like those others you mention. Music is classical or it is popular, and that is it. All those others you mention are pop, because they are low art, rather than high art, for which only classical music qualifies

Grrr' date=' "pop" isnt a genre like those others you mention. Music is classical or it is popular, and that is it. All those others you mention are pop, because they are low art, rather than high art, for which only classical music qualifies[/quote']

Opera? where does that come in? what about folk music? is it popular - therefore, pop? Surely it's a bit condescending to speak about music that has been passed down through generations as simply being "low art"?

You're right though - there are only two musical genres. However, they are "good" and "bad".

Opera? where does that come in? what about folk music? is it popular - therefore' date=' pop? Surely it's a bit condescending to speak about music that has been passed down through generations as simply being "low art"?

You're right though - there are only two musical genres. However, they are "good" and "bad".[/quote']

Is opera not within Classical?

Folk ...I went to Lossie folk club the other night, big mistake. Beards, jerseys and hey diddle diddling...scrappily. There was I hoping the cliche was wrong. Ho hum

Guest bluesxman
Grrr' date=' "pop" isnt a genre like those others you mention. Music is classical or it is popular, and that is it. All those others you mention are pop, because they are low art, rather than high art, for which only classical music qualifies[/quote']

For my own benefit and not because i'm after an argument (before you start!) What defines Classical music as high art?

Guest lime ruined my life
For my own benefit and not because i'm after an argument (before you start!) What defines Classical music as high art?

you'd need at least a phd in music to answer this question.

infact, i can see it coming up in some sort of music final exam paper. There's a lot to write about on the subject, it'd take a lot of time and research to answer the question properly. Classical music is, in short, a very highly evolved style of composition, using complex harmony and compositional techniques like counter point.

in short, most pop music uses, in the most complex form, a tertiarry structure, with typical chord cadences where expected in the bars, a bit of modulation at the chorus/bridge. It's farely simplistic in that it'll usually have less than say 5 or 6 instruments, with the typical rock set up using 1 - 2 guitars, drums, bass, keys and vocals.

when you contrast the setup of a pop band and an orchestra, you start to see a lot of differences, and thats not even looking at the compositions and their complexities.

"high-art" couldn't really have been more of a controversial term, after all, in the visual art area who's to say pop-art isn't "high art".

which brings me back to the beginning, what is art? who can answer such a question? not me, and certainly not most of you either.

Guest AmbientMood
I haven't ventured into alot of "genres" so really cannot comment on one being my favorite.

Hmm' date=' I would say, because you haven't ventured into many genres, that is probably [i']why you have a favourite genre.

Genres are adjectives for describing sound to dumbasses. There is no type of music that doesn't have a few positive and a lot of really shite aspects to it.

Guest bluesxman
you'd need at least a phd in music to answer this question.

infact' date=' i can see it coming up in some sort of music final exam paper. There's a lot to write about on the subject, it'd take a lot of time and research to answer the question properly. Classical music is, in short, a very highly evolved style of composition, using complex harmony and compositional techniques like counter point.

in short, most pop music uses, in the most complex form, a tertiarry structure, with typical chord cadences where expected in the bars, a bit of modulation at the chorus/bridge. It's farely simplistic in that it'll usually have less than say 5 or 6 instruments, with the typical rock set up using 1 - 2 guitars, drums, bass, keys and vocals.

when you contrast the setup of a pop band and an orchestra, you start to see a lot of differences, and thats not even looking at the compositions and their complexities.

"high-art" couldn't really have been more of a controversial term, after all, in the visual art area who's to say pop-art isn't "high art".

which brings me back to the beginning, what is art? who can answer such a question? not me, and certainly not most of you either.[/quote']

Thanks. What about bands such as Godspeed! You Black Emperor, how do they fit into this? They had 9 people involved when I saw them.....I can understand the complexity of classical music vs. say the simplicity of a 3 piece punk band but as you say what makes it 'high art'?

Thanks. What about bands such as Godspeed! You Black Emperor' date=' how do they fit into this? They had 9 people involved when I saw them.....I can understand the complexity of classical music vs. say the simplicity of a 3 piece punk band but as you say what makes it 'high art'?[/quote']

I saw Goldie Lookin' Chain once - they had 9 people. Wu-Tang Clan had about 8 when I saw them. How about the 9 people with Alabama 3 a few weeks back at The Lemon Tree?

IDM / electonic artists also throw a spanner in the works - the latest Boards of Canada CD has a million things going on at once but it's only made by two people.

i like a lot of different types of music from pop, to rock, to blues, to swing, to classical/opera. basically the only way i can describe why i like them is to divide them into 2 categories: fast songs and slow songs. i like the fast songs that make me wanna get up and dance or get down n dirty, depending on tempo, and i like slow songs that make me wanna sing my heart out or send a shiver down my spine whenever i hear it. that said, there are some fast classical songs that make me wanna do the latter, like summer from requiem for a dream, which makes me go cold whenever i hear it.

hell, i'm a simple kinda girl so i'd just say i like whatever music gives me an immediate positive reaction, which is why i have no problem holding slave by britney spears in the same esteem as something by bach.

Guest AmbientMood

hell' date=' i'm a simple kinda girl.. ...which is why i have no problem holding slave by britney spears in the same esteem as something by bach.[/quote']

Well, yeah...

I personally hold colouring books in the same esteem as some of the greatest literary works of all time.