aberdeen-music

moorings jam tonite?

Ollie

Guest DustyDeviada

Was my first time at jam night and really enjoyed it. The cover of Sultan's of Swing by Rory, Dave and myself was particularly shambolic (it was only after I started playing that I realised I didn't know the chords - oops), but hopefully we redeemed ourselves with Christmas Blues. Rory was on fire on that one.

Was my first time at jam night and really enjoyed it. The cover of Sultan's of Swing by Rory' date=' Dave and myself was particularly shambolic (it was only after I started playing that I realised I didn't know the chords - oops), but hopefully we redeemed ourselves with Christmas Blues. Rory was on fire on that one.[/quote']

IMO you guys gave the best performance of the night.

Sort of a shame it was a holiday weekend, and we had to limit each band to 15mins. Usually people can play as long as they want within reason.

But yeah please come back more often.

Guest DustyDeviada

Will do, although part of the reason I was there was that Mrs Deviada was away for the weekend. ;)

And Rory and I will give some more thought to our choice of song (ie something that we actually know) next time.

Although it was very busy I didn't find it a particularily enjoyable night.

Contributing to this:

1) The center monitor is fucked right now. Someone (who shall remain nameless from a touring band) took it apon themselves to move it, so they could "go surfing on it". In doing so reconnected the full range input to the tweeter and prompty blew it up (ouch). A replacement driver should arrive later this week. The culprit is at the bottom of the harbour.

This made things difficult for the vocalists.

2) We also had our stage box rewired to a more secure location (i.e. under lock and key). The feed from the left overhead was missoldered (sorted today). As a temp fix we set the right overhead to full cardioid pickup patter... but this was picking up too much of everything.

Back to normal next week.

PS. Me' date=' Bobby and maxwell's doom band, named "Sludge Love Association" are available for birthday parties and weddings. But we dont have instruments, sop they need to be provided for us. and a beer rider.[/quote']

can i hire you guys to put fingers into strange places for beer?

i know one member has experiance in that department .... and he got paid with beer :nono:

We should probably make some attempt to structure these jams in advance. In terms of who is planning playing, who they are planning playing with, for how long, and at what time. We kick off at 7pm but typically we end up with this rush between 10pm and midnight. I would have liked to give everyone more time, and perhaps a slightly better level check but then it got to 1130pm with 3 lots to go...

The 'Christmas' blues jam was especially good and it's a shame we had to cut it short.

We're in the process of cabling our powerbrakes back to the desk. Both guitar cabinet mics are set to the same gain, so the meter gives an accurate and objective indication of the guitar balance (as does Mark's ears) which we can then correct with the brakes. This will make level checking a lot quicker, and mean me spending less time phaffing around on stage.

So perhaps for next week we could try submitting posts to this thread along the lines of:

Drums - Joe Bloggs

Bass - Jim Bloggs

Rthymn Guitar - Britney Bloggs

Lead Guitar - Jane Bloggs

Vocal - Cecil Bloggs

Bagsie a 25 minute set from 8.30pm - 9.00pm.

*Please note we have the right to veto this!!!