aberdeen-music

Books!! ...Again.

PrincessHolly

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

Cold Granite - by Stuart MacBride, good Rebus-esque crime novel set in Aberdeen.

Give Me Ten Seconds - John Sargeant's autobiography, cracking read.

Captive State - by George Monbiot, awesome read.

In the middle of reading No Logo at present, and then have Nelson Mandela's autobiography to start...

down and out in paris and london is great' date=' I reckon it's orwell's best novel and I get quite irritated at the way people bang on about 1984.

Chaucer just doesn't appeal to me atall, what's the attraction?[/quote']

Well, if we're being pedantic, its not a novel...but yes, it is great. It actually makes you...want to be in poverty (if only for a week), just to experience it. I often get bored with dystopian novels like 1984, Brave New World is the only one which has ever really interested me to any degree.

But back to the point, I like Chaucer because I've had an interest in the whole mediaeval morality/seven deadly sins idea for a while, after reading Dante, Milton, Aquinas and the like. Its a natural progression. Also, the language really fascinates me, and its great fun to read out loud.

ahhahahahhahhahahahahhahahahaahahahahaahhaha

might I recommend "the very hungry caterpillar" by eric carle' date=' it has PRETTY PIKTURES AND THE WORDS ARE VERY EASY.[/quote']

Mick Foley is a brilliant author. Read one of his books (I recommend "Blood And Sweatsocks", his first book). His fiction stuff is awesome as well. To make patronising remarks like that is just ignorant. You twat.

Guest bluesxman

Just finished Almost Home by Damien Echols (the West Memphis Three prisoner on death row). It was good but the editing should have been tighter!

Can't decide what to read next, I have a huge stockpile of books waiting to be read, I never seem to have time these days. Should really try and finish the Da Vinci Code but want to read the Motley Crue biography the Dirt, supposed to be hilarious. Then the Hungry Caterpillar, sure my girlfriend can get me it at the nursery she works at.

Mick Foley is a brilliant author. Read one of his books (I recommend "Blood And Sweatsocks"' date=' his first book). His fiction stuff is awesome as well. To make patronising remarks like that is just ignorant. You twat.[/quote']

How is it ignorant? Surely if anyone deserves to be patronised, it's people who post to a thread about books to say that they have just read the biography of a wrestler.

Then again, I suppose the ability to distinguish between commercial products and genuine, meaningful creative output is something that the people who inhabit this website seem to lack anyway. You twat.

Surely if anyone deserves to be patronised' date=' it's people who post to a thread about books to say that they have just read the biography of a wrestler.[/quote']

Why is that book less relevent than any other in this thread? The original poster didn't say "Recommend books, but only ones that are deemed intellectually valid by Gridlock". Why is one person's story invalid as literature just because of the job they do? Be that wrestler, academic or musician. Where does this imaginary line that only you seem able to see lie?

Why is one person's story invalid as literature just because of the job they do? Be that wrestler' date=' academic or musician.[/quote']

Well if the guy actually wrote it himself, i'd imagine its just a series of crayon scrawls, but more than likely it's been written by someone else, in order to cash in on his "image", and lets face it, I doubt the life of a redneck chicken-strangling wife-beater who earns a living by fondling men in lycra suits is of much importance to humanity.

Where does this imaginary line that only you seem able to see lie?

Well, obviously outside the sphere of consciousness of the kind of people that read books intended for kids and simpletons.

Well if the guy actually wrote it himself' date=' i'd imagine its just a series of crayon scrawls, but more than likely it's been written by someone else, in order to cash in on his "image", and lets face it, I doubt the life of a redneck chicken-strangling wife-beater who earns a living by fondling men in lycra suits is of much importance to humanity.

[/quote']

Stop. For all your artistic pretensions, you really have no idea what you're talking about here.

And you think Damien Hirst is good. You're the idiot chum.

Well, obviously outside the sphere of consciousness of the kind of people that read books intended for kids and simpletons.

morris.jpg

That was a snappy comeback.

I'm getting pretty fed up of your species of internet troll - pretensious pseudo-inteligentsia who can't bring themselves to like anything that more than 2 other people like. Chris Morris is great, but there already is a Chris Morris. If you have any real friends - that is friends you have where the relationship is deeper than one based on games of "intellectual" one-up-manship - you might realise that people are infinitely more complex than "if you read x book you are stupid."

That was a snappy comeback.

I'm getting pretty fed up of your species of internet troll - pretensious pseudo-inteligentsia who can't bring themselves to like anything that more than 2 other people like. Chris Morris is great' date=' but there already is a Chris Morris. If you have any real friends - that is friends you have where the relationship is deeper than one based on games of "intellectual" one-up-manship - you might realise that people are infinitely more complex than "if you read x book you are stupid."[/quote']

hahah! "Pseudo-inteligentsia"

You are mistaken, I am not the kind of person who professes a dislike for stuff because it's popular, I just happen to have an opinion of my own, sorry if you don't agree with my impeccable good taste.

I don't understand where chris morris comes into this either, perhaps you can explain the relevance?

hahah! "Pseudo-inteligentsia"

You are mistaken' date=' I am not the kind of person who professes a dislike for stuff because it's popular, I just happen to have an opinion of my own, sorry if you don't agree with my impeccable good taste. I am also a fag.[/quote']

I've had just about enough of all this insulting because of people's tastes. By Impeccable taste do you mean no taste what-so-ever? You must be the most hard to please person I have ever met! Nothing seems good enough for you, no matter what the subject is, whether its books, tv or music. Why don't you do us all a favour and stop posting on every thread that appreciates something you don't like. Just because you feel all warm and tingly inside because you think you're the "super cool guy that disagrees with everthing" So what? I read a book about a wrestler? For your information, about half of the book has nothing to do with wrestling in the slightest. I also read book about Micheal J Fox and how he is coping with Parkingson's Disease, do you want to have a go about Parkingson's saying that its stupid and people that have it don't deserve to live because its not cool in your books for someone to have a problem that affects their life? Grow up and respect everyone else's opinions alrighty? :]

I love Alan Warner' date=' 'The Sopranos' is both the funniest and saddest book i've read in a while. There's a lot in there, especially for what on the surface appears to be a story about a girls choir going to edinburgh and behaving badly. 'Morvern Callar' is also brilliant in my opinion. 'These Demented Lands' was a lot harder going though, worth it in the end.[/quote']

Strangely, I absolutely loved The Sopranos, but absolutely despised The Man Who Walks. Morvern Callar was OK.

Currently reading the new Christopher Brookmyre, which as far as I'm concerned, confirms that he's lost his magic touch (the previous book was pretty damn poor as well).

Just finished Into That Darkness, a series of interviews with the Commandant of a Nazi extermination camp. Very hard going.