aberdeen-music

D.S. vs PSP

Emilio Largo

I bought a D.S. but never use it, my interest in hand held gaming has died. I have seen a PSP and it is mighty impressive, but with all Playstation things I feel it is style over substance, yes the product itself is fine but I'm sure that there will alot of poor games produced for the console. Yes there will be some 100 or so games available at the moment, but how many of those are worth of playing, take the D.S., there isn't many games but the aim is quality not quantity.

Ideally there should be a balance between what Sony and Nintendo offer in the hand held market (how long till Microsoft get in the ring?).

Gizmondo - was always going to fail and the N-Gage is destined to be a failure also.

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could afford it I'd buy a PSP' date=' not just for the games, but you can store your music and some videos on there, pretty cool :)[/color']

I did forget to mention money as a factor in, D.S. @ 100 and PSP @ 180, just think you could have 3 MP3 players on your person now (mobile, MP3 player and your PSP - 3 songs at once :))

The psp is alright, but there isn't enough quality titles comming out for it. Out of the launch line up the only decent games are lumines, and darkstalkers. Ridge racer is ok for an arcade blast, but tony hawks is a glitchy mess. The psp also suffers from annoying loading times, and a very poor battery life.

Over the next 2 months D.S. is getting advance wars ds, nintendogs, meteos, and mario kart ds. These games alone justify getting a ds over the psp.

Why is everyone goin on about the PSP's game range? I have seen about 10 games for it. meanwhile the DS is gonna have OVER 50 GAMES by the end of this year. A lot of them are decent games aswell, yet to find an original good PSP game...do they exist? Oh yeah, and sony? next time try and make a GOOD first party game or an original third party one. all these re-makes are old, and lame. :cheers:

What I found fookin rediclous is that in GAME they have shoved the DS, The Gamecube and the Xbox all the way to the back of the store! The PS2 and PSP take up about 3/4 of the bloody place! its just wrong! You would think that the amount of pre-owned PS2 games would be a clue for them to think "hey...the PS2 is shite now, thats why we have so many games traded in" but noooo they decide to put it all at the front!

Sorry to anyone that works there, but its just way over the top. Real gamers would have a Xbox or 'Cube, not a PS2 which markets any old crap - soo many bad bad BAD games for it. and a lack of decent, original, PS2 only games. :down:

There, thats my "I hate PS2" rant over with.

*The irony of it is, I have a PS2*

heh, there's a fair few members of game staff who would have gamecube and xbox in prime position but the reality is it's a business and we get our orders from on high. ps2 and psp are the highest selling formats just now and psp is the biggest hardware launch for years so it's obvious that they'll be promoted more.

heh' date=' there's a fair few members of game staff who would have gamecube and xbox in prime position but the reality is it's a business and we get our orders from on high. ps2 and psp are the highest selling formats just now and psp is the biggest hardware launch for years so it's obvious that they'll be promoted more.[/quote']

Yeh I know what you mean, it just annoys me how people are so obsessed with the PS2, it doesnt have anything goin for it in my opinion,

Whoa, we're not getting pathetic console hate now, are we? Have you guys been reading too many magazines for certain consoles that rip the other consoles to bits?

Each console has its perks. Calling a certain console/handheld trendy is a bit stupid in my opinion. Each console caters for different people. I think the PSP looks the doggies danglers because a few games coming out for it (or rumoured for it) appeal to me. The DS is not my thing, it's not because I don't think it's as kewl or whatever, it's cause what's being offered from Nintendo is not what I want. I wouldn't come on here and say "That one is shit, don't buy it you fashion victim!"

In an ideal world, I would have enough money to purchase an X-Box 360 and a PS3 on the days they come out. *Sigh* One day maybe...

Edit: What's the Nintendo next gen console gonna be?

Dinosaur' date=' all that means is you have to walk to the back of the shop. Woe is me!

Although yeah, Xbox just keeps inserting its penis into the mouth of the ps2 in pretty much every aspect.[/quote']

HA! nice way to put it. It's not the walkin that bothers me, its the fact that they cram all three (four includin the PC) into a small bit at the back whereas the PS2 and PSP take up the whole shop! It's the way the place is layed out, it just makes me feel like the other consoles are the rejects in the console playground at school. In GAME on Union street gamecube has ONE SMALL shelf for everythin last time I checked. and I couldnt even find it for a few mins cos it was in a indent bit.

What's the Nintendo next gen console gonna be?

The Revolution. Thats its codename at least, will prob change cos thats what Nintendo do :D It's meant to have the grooviest controller ever. but its not half as powerful as the 360 or PS3 but its backwards compatible with all the previous nintendo consoles (dunno about the handhelds though)

Note: I cant help being all "grr" to the other consoles, I'm a Nintendo fan and have been since as long as I can remember. Brought up to love Ninty! :D

HA! nice way to put it. It's not the walkin that bothers me' date=' its the fact that they cram all three (four includin the PC) into a small bit at the back whereas the PS2 and PSP take up the whole shop! It's the way the place is layed out, it just makes me feel like the other consoles are the rejects in the console playground at school. In GAME on Union street gamecube has ONE SMALL shelf for everythin last time I checked. and I couldnt even find it for a few mins cos it was in a indent bit.[/quote']

to be fair we don't have much space to work with but the sad fact is that nintendo gamecube despite being possibly the finest console is in fact the least popular. plus it also have the smallest release schedule so if you want to gripe about anything it should be the lack of releases and developer support(in this country) for the gamecube. if more games came out we'd have to give it more space.

to be fair we don't have much space to work with but the sad fact is that nintendo gamecube despite being possibly the finest console is in fact the least popular. plus it also have the smallest release schedule so if you want to gripe about anything it should be the lack of releases and developer support(in this country) for the gamecube. if more games came out we'd have to give it more space.

yeh there does seem to be a lack of Gamecube titles just now, shame Zelda got pushed back to 2006 :down: best GC game so far by the looks of it, maybe even best game of this generation. Have to agree with the finest console bit though. It surpasses the PS2 any day and is more than a challenge for xbox. Shame everyone jumped on the PS2 and Xbox wagons at the end of the last generation after PS1, also a bad console, N64 was so much better, although not cheap.

Ahem' date=' I draw the line when you start hitting the xbox - undoubtedly the old box is the greatest console on the market, by far![/quote']

Ok, I admit the xbox is a decent console, I know this myself (I own almost all the consoles so far) but like Taylor said, each console caters for each people's requirements, I just happen to prefer Nintendo personally thats all. So I guess I will always have a little hate for all the other companies dispite how much I like their consoles (Xbox and the Sega consoles)

fav major companies of all time:

1.Nintendo

2.Sega

3.Microsoft

4.Sony

(sega is higher than microsoft plainly because I respect them for the feuds with Nintendo over the years and they had some pretty decent stuff. I reckon I could grow to love microsoft's consoles more though)

Does anyone else reckon that the three should just combine to make like the bestest console ever? I mean how ace would that be? Nintendo's creativity and gameplay, Microsoft's online capabilities and graphics and Sony's marketing and wide range of games. Surely this would work right? With no other competition its not like they would be losing out on profits, would they?

i only really have issues with song over the whole them screwing nintendo over thing...

what with the playstation originally being a cd drive add on for the snes, and after sony had taken all the knowledge they needed from nintendo to launch they called the partnership off and went it alone.

the ds kicks ass in the same way the gamecube does. it's a games console, it's not trying to be a dvd player, mps player, telephone, toaster or whatnot. Nintendo know how to make games, everyone said the same thing about gamecube being less powerful than x-box and ps2 and then when the games came out (and still will with twilight princess) the ate their words. It's the innovation that makes them so exciting.

I think that the ds is that innovation, and the way they drew their inspiration from the old game and watch machines was a stroke of genius, it's a whole new way of gaming which can only get better with more third party games being created.

i was wandering around town looking at the psp game selection and it did nothign for me, a couple of cheap movie tie ins, some sport sims and a top ten of classic movies including hitch? ho boy you've swung me sony!

you just wait for the revolution, just imagine while people are off playing tomb raider 7 and spyro the dragon fights lord firefly i'll be sat at home with the newest smash brothers, zelda and mario and have access to a back catalogue of cheap downloads from the history of every nintendo console, and just imagine what the wi-fi capabilites are when you link your ds to the rev... it's gonna be something mighty.

you just wait for the revolution' date=' just imagine while people are off playing tomb raider 7 and spyro the dragon fights lord firefly i'll be sat at home with the newest smash brothers, zelda and mario and have access to a back catalogue of cheap downloads from the history of every nintendo console, and just imagine what the wi-fi capabilites are when you link your ds to the rev... it's gonna be something mighty.[/quote']

er, just imagine the wi-fi capabilities of the psp with a web browser and it'll connect to both ps3 and xbox360. although ds is cool, the psp's wi-fi options are better. wait and see what the ds web service will be like though, it's gonna be cool particularly once animal crossing comes out.

There seems to be a fair bit of sony bashing in this thread, and a lot of it is directed at the ps2. Iv got a ps2, xbox, cube, gba sp, ds, dreamcast and snes, so I'm not biased when I say that a console is as good as the games that is on it.

I like my gamecube, but if faced with only keeping one console out of the current three, then I would pick ps2 everytime. My reason? Even though it has shit loads of generic tat on it, it has the widest selection of genres and a lot of desirable ps2 exclusives (gitaroo man, parappa, r type final, under the skin, amplitude, ico, disgaea, tekken 5....).

The xbox is the best for graphics and sound, but for my taste in games it suffers with mainly being aimed at the first person shooter favouring american market (halo, halo 2, ghost recon, rainbow 6, pariah, and so on), with the Japanese developers not really making a lot of decent games for the machine, with the exceptions of the capcom beat em ups, and tecmo.

The cube is a fantastic machine, but it falls down in that it only has a handful of exclusive classics on it (smash bros, mario kart, resident evil 4, animal crossing to name a few), and does not get a lot of multi format games.

Even though I am a big nintendo fan, it hurts me to say nintendo are not the company the once were. Compared to the glory days of the snes the games getting produced now are lacking that special something that they once had. Popular series' like metroid, mario kart, zelda and even the mario platformers are not as good on the cube as they were on the snes. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is that the ds seems to be hitting its stride and nintendo may be recapturing some of the magic it once had with the new 2d mario title, mario kart, and nintendogs all harking back to the time when nintendo could do no wrong.

Time for me to shut up now, as I have realised that I have got carried away!!