aberdeen-music

...the DRESDEN DOLLS + Lapsus Linguae & Jo MacCafferty Band - One Off Performance...

Ross

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what that was an amzing gig. I was thinking, why the hell have i paid 12 pounds for this? Then dresden came on and showed me why. I couldnt get my head around lapsus, were they taking the piss? Fair enuf the sound was crap but christ i couldnt hear mysel think .

Seriously though, the girls piano parts and voice were unbelievable.

I tell you what that was an amzing gig. I doubt there will be a better band than the Dresden dolls in aberdeen this year. I couldnt get my head around lapsus' date=' were they taking the piss? Fair enuf the sound was crap but christ i couldnt hear mysel think .

Seriously though, the girls piano parts and voice were unbelievable.[/quote']

I was speaking to Neil who did the sound and he was saying that Lapsus actually asked for quite a muddy sound, they wanted the vocals down the mix etc.

It was a great night on a personal note great to see Jo with a band and for a band who had only been able to get 2 practices I thought they did very well, the cello, keys and BVs worked great with the acoustic guitar.

Lapsus werent my sort of thing at all, but they were a really great bunch of guys and it wastheir first gig in nearly 2 years apparently, and their first gig with a new member, but it did seem an odd choice of support for the Dresden Dolls.

The Dresden Dolls themselves I thought were great, I thought there were certain little things that helped put them above a lot of normal acts, including the energy and her attitude. I loved the fact she took time to mention and thank the supports, as a lot of people dont do that, she also made the time to come and meet and see anyone who wanted to see her and really spent as much time as she could with them, and there was a great vibe to the whole gig.

Thanks to Ross for giving Jo the chance to play what must have been one of Moshulu's more interesting but great gigs, and especially thanks for managing to get an act like that up to Aberdeen in the first place.

Cheers

Stuart

i really wasn't blown away at all. she had a great voice but i got bored after about half an hour. i was waiting for her to do some sort of stageshow' date=' like i'd heard the whole band do, but nothing.[/quote']

Difficult to do on your own when you're not using samples etc, and theres no other musician to play off of, its also worth remembering the solo set must have been put together very quickly as the drummer didnt pull out until last minute.

Cheers

Stuart

That seems like a shit reason for not going to see a band' date=' just cause they don't publicly explain why one of them isn't there? Their personal life is none of our business...

[/quote']

I'm afraid their personal life is our business: as soon as they decided to try to make lots of ... erm... I mean, decided to promote their music to a wider audience, they renounced some of their privacy.

Are you aware that a ticket for a concert is a contract. They reneged on that contract by not supplying The Dresden Dolls, which was their part of the deal. If any other company did that and said "We just couldn't be bothered" and didn't refund any of your money, I'm sure that would be the last time you gave them any of your cash.

yeah i realise that, it was just completely different from what i was expecting and not the kind of thing i would have gone to see had i known it would just be that. i had expected her to still use samples or something and get up and move around. chicks with pianos isn't really my thing anyway, and i've always said i'm a girl who loves an elaborate stageshow and performance. the only solo artist who's blown me away just with their songs and no pomp or splendour was jason ringenburg, but he's in a league of his own.

I'm gonna try it at work tomorrow - just email in saying I can't be arsed coming in for "personal reasons".

'Can't be arsed' isn't a very valid reason, is it? From the Dresden Doll's website "Brian doesn't want to go, is going through his own thing, and I am very supportive of him" - seems to suggest to me that there are personal reasons why he didn't come.

I'm afraid their personal life is our business: as soon as they decided to try to make lots of ... erm... I mean' date=' decided to promote their music to a wider audience, they renounced some of their privacy.

Are you aware that a ticket for a concert is a contract. They reneged on that contract by not supplying The Dresden Dolls, which was their part of the deal. If any other company did that and said "We just couldn't be bothered" and didn't refund any of your money, I'm sure that would be the last time you gave them any of your cash.[/quote']

But Amanda IS the Dresden Dolls, she just happends to have a drummer with her.

And if that person is unwell physically or mentaly then you wouldn't expect that person to play would you? She could have cancelled altogether but she didn't she went it alone which i can only assume is quite scary.

It's a shame that we didn't get the full Dresden Dolls experience but it isn't actually any of our business what is going on in the guys life. Let's face it, he could be going through something exceptionally difficult. He's allowed to have his own personal problems.

Having said that, I was bored senseless during most of the Dresden Dolls set. A couple of good songs, but it wasn't interesting enough to last more than half an hour. Along with Jo, you could shoot her out of a cannon.

I was there for Lapsus though and I was perfectly happy with them. Thought they were ace. Such amazing musicians... I only wish that they had played something off of "You got me fraiche." They seemed like really cool guys as well.

It's a shame that we didn't get the full Dresden Dolls experience but it isn't actually any of our business what is going on in the guys life. Let's face it' date=' he could be going through something exceptionally difficult. He's allowed to have his own personal problems.

Having said that, I was bored senseless during most of the Dresden Dolls set. A couple of good songs, but it wasn't interesting enough to last more than half an hour. Along with Jo, you could shoot her out of a cannon.

I was there for Lapsus though and I was perfectly happy with them. Thought they were ace. Such amazing musicians... I only wish that they had played something off of "You got me fraiche." They seemed like really cool guys as well.[/quote']

I felt the complete opposite way. I thought Lapsus were just all style and no substance. They seem to think it satisfactory to have no decent songs as long as they had their own unique sound. They are typical case of a band being considered a great underground act just because they are tuneless enough to have no potential of ever being popular.

Dresden Dolls on the other hand were superb. Amanda was utterly captivating to watch, she just had a great aura. And the songs showed there's no need to make a lot of noise when you've bucketloads of melody, although she does push the sonic capabilites of a piano to it's fullest. I thought the songs were even better than on record and i didn't miss the drums at all. Decent choice of cover versions, particularly Lua.

Must add that bands shouldn't try to be comedians on stage, so another cross against Lapsus.

I went expecting something different and I certainly got it, the first band were absolutely superb a great interplay of cello, keys and vocals (backing and lead) and the songs were amazing. I bought a CD of them which I've been enjoying and has even made me interested to check out the legendary Moorings Bar. Someone said this was a one off gig by this band, I hope not I'd certainly go and see them again.

Lapsus Linguae ('slip of the tongue' isnt it), are they an Aberdeen band ? I hadnt heard of them before and I'd be happy to never hear of them again, musically they werent a patch on the other two and the faux Iron Maiden styled t-shirts etc made me thing of a noisy version of the Darkness, all novelty very little substance. Would I be right in saying all the people who enjoyed Lapsus were generally more the 'arthouse' crowd, ie its cool because its different. I find it difficult to take any band seriously when they prefer to not have their vocals heard, but its all just personal taste. :nono:

The Dresden Dolls were what I came for and despite it being just a Dresden Doll, it was superb, it was great to hear some of the stuff done live and Amanda seemed like such a nice person, she chatted and signed for ages afterwards :love: . It would have been great to see the whole band play as the interplay between them is superb however we should be thankfull we saw one, I'm going to see them again on Wednesday but I think I'll maybe miss Lapsus.

Revelation of the night was the Jo MacCafferty Band, would love to see them again, disappointment, Lapsus obviously, and high point was meeting Amanda, thanks Moshulu, worth the trip up from Edinburgh. :cheers:

Ram :rockon:

I felt the complete opposite way. I thought Lapsus were just all style and no substance. They seem to think it satisfactory to have no decent songs as long as they had their own unique sound. They are typical case of a band being considered a great underground act just because they are tuneless enough to have no potential of ever being popular.

We can agree to disagree... I thought that she was dull as dishwater and I had no desire to watch such uninspiring dirge. At the same time' date=' I feel that Lapsus are genius musicians who are pushing musical boundaries. Not everybody likes pretty songs.

Lapsus Linguae ('slip of the tongue' isnt it), are they an Aberdeen band ? I hadnt heard of them before and I'd be happy to never hear of them again, musically they werent a patch on the other two and the faux Iron Maiden styled t-shirts etc made me thing of a noisy version of the Darkness, all novelty very little substance. Would I be right in saying all the people who enjoyed Lapsus were generally more the 'arthouse' crowd, ie its cool because its different. I find it difficult to take any band seriously when they prefer to not have their vocals heard, but its all just personal taste.

They're from Glasgow. A lot of bands play with their vocals low down in the mix... The best example would have to be My Bloody Valentine... and they were one of the most influential bands of the late 80's/early 90's. If you believe that Lapsus sound like the Darkness, you need your head examined.

We can agree to disagree... I thought that she was dull as dishwater and I had no desire to watch such uninspiring dirge. At the same time' date=' I feel that Lapsus are genius musicians who are pushing musical boundaries. Not everybody likes pretty songs.[/quote']

Lapsus pushing musical boundaries is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!!! And "uninspiring" or not i don't think anyone could accurately decribe it as a "dirge".

Guest neil ex

ha!

Lapsus were odd last night (they always are), and their new material's different to anything they've done before I think. It's kind of like a big mess, and you don't know what anyone's playing, but it all comes together wonderfully! They're bizarre. And Lapsus do have tunes!

I thought it was a really great performance from Amanda but I kind of wished she'd not come back on stage.. I really liked the Scottish song she did but can't remember the name she said.. Anyone?

We can agree to disagree... I thought that she was dull as dishwater and I had no desire to watch such uninspiring dirge.

Dull as dishwater? Christ Joss were you even watching the same act?

To each their own I guess' date=' from what I heard Lapsus seemed to make a great sound, even if they weren't my kind of thing.[/color']

But Amanda IS the Dresden Dolls' date=' she just happends to have a drummer with her.

And if that person is unwell physically or mentaly then you wouldn't expect that person to play would you? She could have cancelled altogether but she didn't she went it alone which i can only assume is quite scary.[/quote']

Their website describes them as a duo, therefore you didn't get the Dresden Dolls, you got the main songwriter in the Dresden Dolls doing a solo set.

ha!

I thought it was a really great performance from Amanda but I kind of wished she'd not come back on stage.. I really liked the Scottish song she did but can't remember the name she said.. Anyone?

The Scottish song she sang was "I Want You, But I don't Need You" by Momus. Thought that was a great cover .. although I thought the two covers she sang when she came back on stage were a bit dreary compared to the original Dresden Dolls material.

Having seen her playing with Brian in Edinburgh, I'd say that some of the chemistry and energy was missing ... but at the same time she totally played her heart out, was incredible in her own right - and how anybody could have found it dull is beyond me.

Big thanks to everybody involved in bringing them up to Aberdeen .. it's wonderful to be able to see a great performance like that without having to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow.