aberdeen-music

management etc

des

hey dudes and dudettes

im tryin not to sound like a dick im just wonderin how a band gets management and is it worth gettin local management?

my band(statue of misery) have only played a hand full of gigs and im not askin for any offers im just askin how you may(if you wanted to)go about it i dont think were ready for it but any adive from anybody thats been around would be greatfully accepted

like i said im not lookin for offers im just interested thats all

cheers for any advice given laters

des

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AmbientMood

I don't think 'band management' is the yellow pages, basically anyone can do it, though most people wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Being small time band in a small time town however, I doubt it a necessity to start involving an outside party to get you Wednesday nights at Kef?

I have put together a page on this subject at www.the-byre.com under the heading 'Success in Music'.

But the jist is that you will have to start thinking about getting an agent and a manager after you have decided to become fully professional. You might go with a local agent as far as booking gigs is concerned and one of the band or a friend could act as manager. But if you sign any contracts, be very careful - you will have to drop both of them later on when you become more successful.

There are management companies that can guide your career and have the resources to get you onto talk shows and do radio interviews. These companies know how to get your music heard in Denmark and Italy and how to get tours in Spain and France. They know who to talk to, to get Rock am Ring and Rockpalast gigs in Germany and the two big talk shows in the US. They also know how to cut a good licensing deal with a major label.

But there is absolutely no point in talking to management and agencies if you still have other jobs.

Also - most important - you must be filling halls. Management, agencies and record comapnies are not interested in you and your music. They are interested in your audience. That is the market they are buying and that is the market that you hope they will expand.

Guest AmbientMood
this is the first thread my bands not been slagged

Maybe, but its not the first where you've made laughable implications suggesting your band actually have a future being cut out for them. Oops, I pissed on your statement.

Remember, barely anybody gets to be rockstars or even make money out of music anymore. Its like playing the lottery with your stable future, and only morons play the lottery due to the obviously terrible odds of winning. But this isn't a pound a week we're talking about, its your life, so be prepared to work shitty jobs for the rest of your days constantly holding onto your 'life long dream what is the only thing you can see yourself doing etc etc etc.' You really are living in the past thinking a metal band that offers nothing new to the public have even a miniscule chance at being commercially successful.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Remember' date=' barely anybody gets to be rockstars or even make money out of music anymore. Its like playing the lottery with your stable future, and only morons play the lottery due to the obviously terrible odds of winning. [/quote']

No much, if anything is stable, also, whist chasing this supposed unattainable dream, they will probably have some of the best days of their lives.

Maybe' date=' but its not the first where you've made laughable implications suggesting your band actually have a future being cut out for them. Oops, I pissed on your statement.

Remember, barely anybody gets to be rockstars or even make money out of music anymore. Its like playing the lottery with your stable future, and only morons play the lottery due to the obviously terrible odds of winning. But this isn't a pound a week we're talking about, its your life, so be prepared to work shitty jobs for the rest of your days constantly holding onto your 'life long dream what is the only thing you can see yourself doing etc etc etc.' You really are living in the past thinking a metal band that offers nothing new to the public have even a miniscule chance at being commercially successful.[/quote']

Just shut up.

Maybe' date=' but its not the first where you've made laughable implications suggesting your band actually have a future being cut out for them. Oops, I pissed on your statement.

Remember, barely anybody gets to be rockstars or even make money out of music anymore. Its like playing the lottery with your stable future, and only morons play the lottery due to the obviously terrible odds of winning. But this isn't a pound a week we're talking about, its your life, so be prepared to work shitty jobs for the rest of your days constantly holding onto your 'life long dream what is the only thing you can see yourself doing etc etc etc.' You really are living in the past thinking a metal band that offers nothing new to the public have even a miniscule chance at being commercially successful.[/quote']

Em, he wasnt asking what you thought of his band or for a manager.

Guest AmbientMood
supposed unattainable dream

I'm sorry' date=' it [i']is an unattainable dream.

jesus you're a miserable git aren't you?

I know these guys need encouragement, but they also need a good dose of realism. Call me the representative of inevitability, call you mickey mouse.

I know these guys need encouragement, but they also need a good dose of realism. Call me the representative of inevitability, call you mickey mouse.

1--i wasnt askin for encouragement

2--i dont need lectures on realism,inevitability or shitty jobs im older than you think and worked a shitty job for over 13 years

and 3-- i was only askin a question cause i was talkin to steve from the little kicks and we were talkin about it and i was just askin if anyone had any USEFUL advice i know all about the whole musical lottery as you put it but to be fare i think you just sound abit bitter. did things not work out for you or something?

look mate, i dont know what you have againts us...... you could explain if you want but i dont care. i (personally) love my music. we have only been on the go for about 11 months and have packed out the tunnels with about 300 people rooting for us. i dont care if you dont like us, but from what was said befor were having some of the best days of our lives, meeting nice people, learning a shit lot about the music scene and even got to show Panic Cell round this "small town" and got pissed with them. yes right now theres small bucks in it for us but any bucks good for me as im loving every second of it. you said yourself "is like playing the lottery" but think to yourself your not going to win that double roll over if you dont put in that 1 a week are you?

I have put together a page on this subject at www.the-byre.com under the heading 'Success in Music'.

Interesting stuff!

ha ha! are you serious about this bit? 'But even at the very beginning, it pays to create a concept in your lighting, no matter how modest your budget may be. Try such tricks as putting some PAR 56 lights on the floor behind the drummer, or even tape torch lights onto the lead guitar'

tape torch lights on the lead guitar (!)

i might just try that one!

Dreams are meant to be unattainable, that's why they're dreams and not reality.

As for the original poster : don't bother with a manager. It's not worth the hassle, especially if the person is "known" in the music scene and has their own vendettas and grudges.

Having said that, I'd pick everyone's brains that you know and learn about things that way. You can learn a lot just by speaking to people, really.

As for the original poster : don't bother with a manager. It's not worth the hassle' date=' especially if the person is "known" in the music scene and has their own vendettas and grudges.

Having said that, I'd pick everyone's brains that you know and learn about things that way. You can learn a lot just by speaking to people, really.[/quote']

It's not worth having a manager who isn't known, but I mean on a national level rather than a local level. The music "scene" will always have vendettas and grudges so there's no point worrying too much about that.

Sound advice after that though.

Guest RockMonkey

Most "industry professionals" tend to prefer dealing with a person who is not the artist, therefore there is sometimes the requirement for a manager or agent, which I think in your case is what you are really looking for.

There have been suggestions from various music industry panels that an artist or band ought to seek out management basically as soon as they are gigging. I don't really think it's that neccessary. Although a good manager or agent can get you gigs out of the local scene which is always a good thing. However, don't get stuck with false promises.

That works both ways, if you don't keep your end of the bargain (ie be good, turn up to things on time, don't get plastered and forget all your songs...hmmmunlike me), then a manager or agent is likely to drop you pretty quickly.

Best bet for now is to continue gigging until you know what you are looking for in a manager.

There are Music Management websites like www.ukmmf.net www.indiemanagers.com that you can rake through. Have a read of this http://www.vocalist.org.uk/artist_management.html as well.

jo

everyone hows anyone knows that its pretty unlikly to get anywhere in the music buisness and im no exeption i was just intersested to know how things work so cheers to y,all for the advice and comments(well mostly everyone)

we play in kef on the 11th if you fancy checkin us out

laters des :cheers:

Work hard, play loads of gigs till you have a stable following, try and get gigs with 'known' bands to boost your band bio, get some decent promo pics, a couple of decent recordings and constantly look for new people and new ways to promote your band, play more out of Aberdeen than you do in it, always have flyers and mailing list sheets at gigs out of town, use myspace to your advantage, get mates to help you out if need be, only take on the criticism by people you look up too/resepct/have been where you want to be, it's your band, and it's your ambitions, never let anyone take you down. Aberdeen means nothing in the grand scale of things.

Guest AmbientMood
we have only been on the go for about 11 months and have packed out the tunnels with about 300 people rooting for us.

300! Get the fuck outta here! All chanting for ya?? Good show! You must be very nice guys to have so many polite friends.

Dreams are meant to be unattainable' date=' that's why they're dreams and not reality.[/quote']

Pretty much what I said right?

300! Get the fuck outta here! All chanting for ya?? Good show! You must be very nice guys to have so many polite friends.

Pretty much what I said right?

fair enough, we hade about 250 people there, we raised 650 at 3 a ticket (plus all the bands and there bitches). tunnels can hold 350, the place was packed the fuck out. 90% of the people who were there we hade never seen befor, because of good promotion by us.

where you there?

would you know?

how can you judge?

i have had petty arguments with mostly everyone on aberdeen music, but we can now see eye to eye. but you my good friend dose not seem to be interested.

Hows you band doing by the way?

fair enough' date=' we hade about 250 people there, we raised 650 at 3 a ticket (plus all the bands and there bitches). tunnels can hold 350, the place was packed the fuck out. 90% of the people who were there we hade never seen befor, because of good promotion by us.

where you there?

would you know?

how can you judge?

i have had petty arguments with mostly everyone on aberdeen music, but we can now see eye to eye. but you my good friend dose not seem to be interested.

Hows you band doing by the way?[/quote']

Advice...

Don't get involved in the bullshit on this website, your band is totally seperate to this.

If your promotion was that good, then how come I've never heard of you?

Advice...

Don't get involved in the bullshit on this website' date=' your band is totally seperate to this.

If your promotion was that good, then how come I've never heard of you?[/quote']

You obviously were not somewhere at the right time!!!!

maybe not but we still had a couple of hundered people there so we must have done something right.

Also not everyone hears about every gig going on in aberdeen all the time.

Anyway we are playin at kef on thursday if you are interested!!!