aberdeen-music

Aberdeen gig guide

soundian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in think you should make the focus on a handout gig guide ''magadeen'' thingy first, and a website second

you are more likely to engage the interest of the general public (real people) not just a bunch of wanks who sit at PCs pretending its the real world or something

im only interested in buying some regular propaganda/advertising space as Im sure the journalistic content will be scenefully dire and people will just look at the pictures and stuff

good luck with it, its about fecking about time cos I always go out when theres nout on deliberatley and want to keep it that way ;)

''The Aberdeen Gig Guide'' is quite a novel approach for a name though....punters might even get it, which might be useful if the idea is for it to actually get across whats on to people who want to know whats on, yus?

the AUBL guide is rubbish btw and how many people outside the microcosm of this nerd commune actually know about it?

you are more likely to engage the interest of the general public (real people) not just a bunch of wanks who sit at PCs pretending its the real world or something

Oh yeah, I forgot. Real people don't use computers or access the Internet...

That is the kind of comment my gran would make. You are not very in touch with the modern world are you? More people read online music web sites (e.g. NME.com) than the equivalent in the printed press I think you'll find.

Unless that comment was a piss-take of course. In which case I've just fallen for it hook, line and sinker...

You are not very in touch with the modern world are you? More people read online music web sites (e.g. NME.com) than the equivalent in the printed press I think you'll find.

Dunno how in touch with the modern world you can be ....i use a pc for loads of stuff sequencing, sampliing, programming synthesesisers, making films. The least useful thing a PC is for is actually finding out whats on in aberdeen. Theres nothing comprehensive, and to get a vague idea of whats on it means constantly checking lots of different sites and compiling your own summary database (if I were that fucking geeky)

Im just making the point that a lot people like me dont want to waste time fannying about searching on websites just find out where to go for beers/a gig, Id rather have something in the back pocket of me jeans that I could quickly scan whenever Im out....I think youll find theres heaps of people in the same boat, who while perfectly computor literate, are just too busy to sit in a boxroom looking at a screen all nite

another point often made by the local promoters and bands, is that despite the endless cyber banter on websites like this, not many of the people who contribute actually bother turning up to see gigs - so its fake really - hence my reference to real people as the general public who are certainly not represented by some kids who never go to gigs cos they are way to busy making new freinds on the internet

to me, overstating the power of certain websites is a sign you are out of touch already

I take good photos' date=' apart from that Im fucked. If you need any help, PM me :cheers:[/quote']

Any good photos of local bands who don't have websites would be a help. I'm planning on linking directly to websites, but linking to a couple of paragraphs on bands who don't, a photo to go with eachband would be good.

OK...what kind of a car would Hog be then????

(I'd be an Austin Devon, I reckon!)

Zeenat would be a paisley-patterned mini-moke, and you'd be one of those sleek, powerful, yet attractive ones................................................

...........C5s, I think they were called??!?

To get back to the point...I could do a cartoon of Element 106 if you'd like?

the AUBL guide is rubbish btw and how many people outside the microcosm of this nerd commune actually know about it?

in the last year we've had about 1.7million hits (which amounts to about 80,000 visits)

if that's of any use to you..

and i dont think our gig guide is really any worse than anyone else's... is it?

we're always willing to improve if you have any ideas ?

however judging by your tone

i'm guessing maybe not

keep smiling

:up:

in the last year we've had about 1.7million hits (which amounts to about 80' date='000 visits)

[/quote']

no offense but the aubl site is hideous and i seriously doubt it's value in terms of promotion.

The trap i can see you guys falling into here is the same thing that marginalised drakes - a gig guide should be all inclusive, by which I mean it ought to include everything thats going on in aberdeen, wether its some house dj playing out at liquid or some obscure foreign band playing in the tunnels. This is the only way it is going to appeal to the general public, this is the only way you can hope to collect any advertising revenue, and first and foremost, it means exposing people who buy it/pick it up, to listings which they may not have otherwise been aware of or interested in.

Your project is doomed to fail if it ends up as just another cliquey zine.

in the last year we've had about 1.7million hits (which amounts to about 80' date='000 visits)

if that's of any use to you..

and i dont think our gig guide is really any worse than anyone else's... is it?

we're always willing to improve if you have any ideas ?

however judging by your tone

i'm guessing maybe not

keep smiling

:up:[/quote']

no its no worse than anyone elses at the moment, and to be fair I use it, but I mean its rubbish in the sense that its not comprehensive which is the whole point, and the drawback with all the current gig guides....and its a funny colour sceme that is just not easy on the eyes....I picked on it cos to be honest its the only one to pick on.....the calender on aberdeen music is actually so badly updated I dont even bother it with anymore :D

- a gig guide should be all inclusive' date=' by which I mean it ought to include everything thats going on in aberdeen, wether its some house dj playing out at liquid or some obscure foreign band playing in the tunnels. This is the only way it is going to appeal to the general public, this is the only way you can hope to collect any advertising revenue, and first and foremost, it means exposing people who buy it/pick it up, to listings which they may not have otherwise been aware of or interested in.

[/quote']

Thats what I think as well, if the idea is break out of a dying sceneville and attempt to engage the interest of the random public

Marginalised?

no offense but the aubl site is hideous and i seriously doubt it's value in terms of promotion.

The trap i can see you guys falling into here is the same thing that marginalised drakes - a gig guide should be all inclusive' date=' by which I mean it ought to include everything thats going on in aberdeen, wether its some house dj playing out at liquid or some obscure foreign band playing in the tunnels. This is the only way it is going to appeal to the general public, this is the only way you can hope to collect any advertising revenue, and first and foremost, it means exposing people who buy it/pick it up, to listings which they may not have otherwise been aware of or interested in.

Your project is doomed to fail if it ends up as just another cliquey zine.[/quote']

Explain the Drake's Reference... Just curious...

Hey here's an idea... Why don't we all just not bother! According to some nothing, ever, is worth trying! There are so many people that just want to pick holes in anything that has some initiative! AUBL site is fine,this site is fine and starting an Aberdeen guideiis in fact a step forward and will lead somwhere.If you think you can do better than please go do so or shut up. Contstructive criticism is great! Negativity is not!

:nono:

'it will be pointless' (paraphrasing) doesn't help anyone or anything!

The trap i can see you guys falling into here is the same thing that marginalised drakes - a gig guide should be all inclusive' date=' by which I mean it ought to include everything thats going on in aberdeen, wether its some house dj playing out at liquid or some obscure foreign band playing in the tunnels. This is the only way it is going to appeal to the general public, this is the only way you can hope to collect any advertising revenue, and first and foremost, it means exposing people who buy it/pick it up, to listings which they may not have otherwise been aware of or interested in.

Your project is doomed to fail if it ends up as just another cliquey zine.[/quote']

After listening for years to people saying "what a good idea a gig guide for Aberdeen would be" I've done some basic research.

It's financially viable' date=' I've got 1/2 the venues needed to finance it in less than 4 hours after getting my first print quote, what I need is volunteers to write for it and, crucially, someone to run the associated website.

I've got enough time to co-ordinate things but not enough to write articles, reviews, previews etc. There's no money in this [b']but I think with some (OK, a lot) of help, it's possible to supply a comprehensive gig guide (no Market Street crooners, space is too valuable) with an associated website which can explain more. Probably with a "local band encyclopedia" so we don't have to keep thinking new things up for each band.

If anyone's interested, has suggestions (bear in mind that the paper version will be very limited in space ) for the website, want's to help, whatever, give me a PM.

It'll be a lot of work to set up but I reckon we could run it with 10-15 people doing a couple of hours a week each.

Thanks for the tip gridlock but I'm already way ahead of you.

Explain the Drake's Reference... Just curious...

Hey here's an idea... Why don't we all just not bother! According to some nothing' date=' ever, is worth trying! There are so many people that just want to pick holes in anything that has some initiative! AUBL site is fine,this site is fine and starting an Aberdeen guideiis in fact a step forward and will lead somwhere.If you think you can do better than please go do so or shut up. Contstructive criticism is great! Negativity is not!

:nono:

'it will be pointless' (paraphrasing) doesn't help anyone or anything![/quote']

That was constructive advice, like it or not. I think it's a great idea, I just hope it's done properly.

The calendar on aberdeen-music gets updated daily' date=' and every gig and event brought to our attention is displayed on it. It's the responsibility of promoters and venue managers to inform us of events they would like to be included on the calendar. If you can point out anything that people have neglected to tell us about, it would be much appreciated.[/quote']

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27345

That was constructive advice' date=' like it or not. I think it's a great idea, I just hope it's done properly.[/quote']

Oh... Okay then. Maybe its just me but a great deal of constructive advice in Aberdeen in general is a laced with the negative...

Have you seen 'The Spot'? Along way down before it can be as bad as that... And that is funded. If this guide begins well and can only improve then who knows where money can come from... :up: