aberdeen-music

Aberdeen gig guide

soundian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain the Drake's Reference... Just curious...

Hey here's an idea... Why don't we all just not bother! According to some nothing' date=' ever, is worth trying! There are so many people that just want to pick holes in anything that has some initiative! AUBL site is fine,this site is fine and starting an Aberdeen guideiis in fact a step forward and will lead somwhere.If you think you can do better than please go do so or shut up. Contstructive criticism is great! Negativity is not!

:nono:

'it will be pointless' (paraphrasing) doesn't help anyone or anything![/quote']

if you mean me

im just picking holes in whats already in place, as all bands and promoters are always moaning about the lack of public support for their efforts, so accepting the reality, removing complacancy and pointing out why things actually dont work as they are, is NOT negative, it should help

the new gig guide is essential

Distribution is another thing on my mind. If anyone from Ellon' date=' Stonehaven, Portlethen, Inverurie etc want to help out by distributing these guides in your area, PM me. In fact, anyone outwith the city centre who could help along these lines would be welcome.[/quote']

I could help with Portlethen. Plenty of shops + food places + pubs that we could put them in perhaps?

if you mean me

im just picking holes in whats already in place' date=' as all bands and promoters are always moaning about the lack of public support for their efforts, so accepting the reality, removing complacancy and pointing out why things actually dont work as they are, is NOT negative, it should help

the new gig guide is essential[/quote']

Nope not realy as you were making a point without being affa negative... A potentially inflamatory use of wordage though, as ever :D

The calendar on aberdeen-music gets updated daily, and every gig and event brought to our attention is displayed on it

I know this thread isn't about this, but the subject was raised nevertheless, Wax has had a gig advertised for roughly a week now, and no sign of it. This is hip-hop discrimination!

Back to subject, I agree that the gig guide should not just cater to bands and people who might watch bands (Ian, i'll elaborate more in an email to you). Obviously I championing the club scene because I am involved in that side rather than the live music scene, but the audience numbers from the likes of Kef and Snafu can easily match the numbers that attend live gigs at the Lemon Tree. If this guide is based (largely) on bands, then all we'll have is a paper version of the AUBL/Aberdeen-music.com websites.

Back to subject' date=' I agree that the gig guide should not just cater to bands and people who might watch bands (Ian, i'll elaborate more in an email to you). Obviously I championing the club scene because I am involved in that side rather than the live music scene, but the audience numbers from the likes of Kef and Snafu can easily match the numbers that attend live gigs at the Lemon Tree. If this guide is based (largely) on bands, then all we'll have is a paper version of the AUBL/Aberdeen-music.com websites.[/quote']

I agree as well. The website will be as comprehensive as possible, but at the moment, finances aren't available to advertise anything on paper outside the venues sponsoring it, unless we get more sponsors, but I'm concentrating on gettingthe first edition out now and I'll worry about expansion once we get past this 3 month trial period.

I agree as well. The website will be as comprehensive as possible' date=' but at the moment, finances aren't available to advertise anything on paper outside the venues sponsoring it, unless we get more sponsors, but I'm concentrating on gettingthe first edition out now and I'll worry about expansion once we get past this 3 month trial period.[/quote']

Just a thought, but rather than rushing to get it out, maybe its worth takign the time to get every single venue you can onboard, or at least enough to justify putting in as many listings as possible. Making a cutdown first edition that ignores big segments of whats going on could leave people with the impression that it's not going to contain anything of interest to them and put them off for life.

Just a thought' date=' but rather than rushing to get it out, maybe its worth takign the time to get every single venue you can onboard, or at least enough to justify putting in as many listings as possible. Making a cutdown first edition that ignores big segments of whats going on could leave people with the impression that it's not going to contain anything of interest to them and put them off for life.[/quote']

There are several reasons why waiting wouldn't be a good idea. I won't go into them here.

The website, which will contain as full a listing as we can manage, is what the printed version is there to promote really, and I'm going to make it clear on the cover of the printed one that it will do this.

Don't expect too much from this initially,the budget is tiny, but thinking small and building from there is the only way to do it, once you look at the costs involved in thinking big. This is maybe why we haven't had one before, people were thinking too big.

There are several reasons why waiting wouldn't be a good idea. I won't go into them here.

The website' date=' which will contain as full a listing as we can manage, is what the printed version is there to promote really, and I'm going to make it clear on the cover of the printed one that it will do this.

Don't expect too much from this initially,the budget is tiny, but thinking small and building from there is the only way to do it, once you look at the costs involved in thinking big. This is maybe why we haven't had one before, people were thinking too big.[/quote']

What categories will the printed version contain?