aberdeen-music

The Ashes...

Hugh_Jazz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so does anyone doubt Vaughn as captain now? His batting is a bit poor but same happened with Hussain...as soon as he became captain he was unable to score a decent score. But Vaughn led the team well. Great match. I reckon Aussies are gonna win at Old Trafford. England will win at Headingley and well, I wouldn't like to predict the other test. Should get Bell out of the squad though. Bring Key or Butcher back (I'd say Thorpe but he's retired which is a right bugger)

yeah i also have me doubts about vaughan but think we should stick with for now, with england on a high it would be daft to change the captaincy. bell deffo has to go for the next test, with thorpe out of contention i think it has to be butcher cos of his experience. i'm so glad england won, it would have killed the series if the aussies had nicked the test and demoralised morale in the england camp. at least the aussie's are being given something to think about for a change!!!!!

excuse me but check Vaugan's record as captain & how england are now competing with the best team of the last 15years.

yesterdays result wil give them momentum & remember an england batsman is due a big score, so getting a decent run target gives the bowlers a chance.

excuse me but check Vaugan's record as captain & how england are now competing with the best team of the last 15years.

yesterdays result wil give them momentum & remember an england batsman is due a big score' date=' so getting a decent run target gives the bowlers a chance.[/quote']

I don't doubt him as a captain, just as a batsman but would keep him in the squad. inever thought id seen england bowlers better than in 2000 when it was gough, caddick, white and cork in the squad but the current crop of harmison, flintoff, jones, hoggard and giles is fantastic. all of those rightfully deserve a place in the squad. i think bell is the only player that needs to be changed. is mark butcher not injured? i hope not cos he has the experience of facing the aussies (rememember his 165 not out in 2001?).

Oh and another thing, I can't see Mark Butcher getting in the squad again. Injuries and age are the key factors. He's been out of Test cricket a long time as well. Caddick is bowling well again, but there's no chance he'll replace say Simon Jones.

Robert Key depsite making, I think, 222 in an innings, isn't the most reliable, and has gone cheaply.

Ian Bell can't be replaced by someone like Thorpe because they're completely different players. Pietersen for Thorpe was a natural swap. You need your more defensive batsmen to steady and support an innings. Bell is the new Atherton. Granted he hasn't put on a score or spent a lengthy period at the crease, but he must be given another chance.

Bell isn't an Ed Smith, where it's obvious he's not right for Test cricket. We'll see after the next Test how he does.

surely a bit of experience wouldn't go amiss in the squad though? Especially when facing the likes of Australia. Atherton doesn't play anything like Trescothick but thats who he was replaced for back in the day so it could happen. I'd like to see Bell do well but I think this next game should be his last chance to prove himself.

speaking of Atherton. Don't you just love his post-match interviews, the way he fails to ask question.

eg: Atherton to Trescothick: Nice crease (passes the microphone). And then his facial expressions are hilarious. Yep, you can't beat an Athers interview cos he clearly hasn't a clue.

the whole channel 4 team make me chuckle but the bbc radio commentary led by aggers really crease me up! they've enlisted the services of legendary aussie bowler merv hughes this summer!

what has made the victory even sweeter is that Kasprowicz was not out with that ball, it hit his glove :)

an unchanged squad for the third test, bring it on!!!!

the whole channel 4 team make me chuckle but the bbc radio commentary led by aggers really crease me up! they've enlisted the services of legendary aussie bowler merv hughes this summer!

what has made the victory even sweeter is that Kasprowicz was not out with that ball' date=' it hit his glove :)

an unchanged squad for the third test, bring it on!!!![/quote']

yeah but Petersen shouldnt have been out either so it makes it ok. Simon Hughes really had to ruin it by pointing the last wicket out, didn't he?

I never really watched cricket but on my week off last week I found myself watching this more and more.

Tell me one thing though (as I'm not familiar with the rules too much), why did England have to "declare"? Does this mean for their second innings they had a set amount of overs? Because it seems rather pointless to stop batting when you still have a few wickets in hand.

I never really watched cricket but on my week off last week I found myself watching this more and more.

Tell me one thing though (as I'm not familiar with the rules too much)' date=' why did England have to "declare"? Does this mean for their second innings they had a set amount of overs? Because it seems rather pointless to stop batting when you still have a few wickets in hand.[/quote']

We had to declare because at the end of the fifth day if there are any Australians still batting then we have a draw (as happened) we declared to try and give ourselves enough time to bowl out the Aussies and win the match.

Had we not declared it would have been a certain draw.