aberdeen-music

worst tastes in music?

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest DustyDeviada
I think everyone should give Stuart a break. Its not the first time Ive seen him attacked for the music he likes.

No dice Sophie, he's made his bed, now he's got to lie in it. :gringo:

No dice Sophie' date=' he's made his bed, now he's got to lie in it. :gringo:[/quote']

Does that mean Baby Karma doesnt want the supports for the Scottish Fish dates I'm trying to organise ;) or you no longer want to do the support with Midge in September ;) Eh ? Eh ? ;)

For anyone else interested in old prog stuff, Focus are playing Drummonds on Saturday the 15th October supported by one of my faves John Young.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
For anyone else interested in old prog stuff' date=' Focus are playing Drummonds on Saturday the 15th October supported by one of my faves John Young.

[/quote']

Well, after the rousing reception he got at Keith Chaos I'm sure this gig will be guaranteed as a sell out due to his presence alone. Or maybe not. :D

You coming tomorrow Jester? Emma's going and I think Hog's going to try to make it after a wedding.

Well' date=' after the rousing reception he got at Keith Chaos I'm sure this gig will be guaranteed as a sell out due to his presence alone. Or maybe not. :D

You coming tomorrow Jester? Emma's going and I think Hog's going to try to make it after a wedding.[/quote']

John Young is excellent :) a very talented singer/songwriter :)

I wont be there tomorrow, still in Edinburgh but have a pint or 2 for me ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
Is it an all-original members Focus???

(Wouldn't be the same band without Van Leer' date=' Akkerman etc)[/quote']

NO, it's only Thijs van Leer, I think the others were a Focus tribute band and he heard them , liked them so much infact that he joined them!

Not positive about this, but I'm sure I read that somewhere!?

Bollocks' date=' his whole aproach was gabriel influenced. They way he sang, stage character and make up.

Listen here, VERY Genesis especially the vocals of derek dick.

shite song one

shite song two

I don't get this. His lyrics bear no resemblance to Peter Gabriels, he wrote about terrorism, broken relationships and drug ands booze addiction. Peter Hammill he freely admits is his lyrical influence.

His stage character was bitter bawdy Scotsman, not mysterious traveller. How on earth was that Gabriel influenced?

Stage make up...why Gabriel influence and not Alice Cooper, Arthur Brown or any of the others?

And what's so bad about being influenced by an earlier king of that genre? Aren't most reggae artists influenced by Bob Marley?

Thijs vL is the only original Focus member but they played the Lemon Tree some time last year I think and were still awesome, not that I ever saw the original band. Eruption was ace, and Thijs had a great personality on stage, he always reminds me on video footage of a mother hen looking after the band and he was kind of like that live too. First time I saw him before the gig, I froze and did a quite embarrassing mumbling thing and ran away, but afterwards I composed myself and he spoke to me about Hammonds and Mellotrons and signed my shoe. :cheers:

So don't miss them just because Jan and co. aren't there!

Guest Zeenat Aman
Thijs vL is the only original Focus member but they played the Lemon Tree some time last year I think and were still awesome' date=' not that I ever saw the original band. Eruption was ace, and Thijs had a great personality on stage, he always reminds me on video footage of a mother hen looking after the band and he was kind of like that live too. First time I saw him before the gig, I froze and did a quite embarrassing mumbling thing and ran away, but afterwards I composed myself and he spoke to me about Hammonds and Mellotrons and signed my shoe. :cheers:

So don't miss them just because Jan and co. aren't there![/quote']

What albums of theirs have mellotron?

He's a great flautist, I had one of his 'classical' albums 'Introspection', lovely stuff.