aberdeen-music

Wattage for gigging?

Mick Maverik

Exactly how much do you need to gig live? I am torn between getting a 50 watt and saving a bit cash' date=' or shelling out a little more for extra head room? Any advice? I'm referring to combos btw

Andy[/quote']

i reckon you could play most venues with PAs with a 15 watt amp, i played kef with a 30 watt

DSL50 is pretty crazy when up at around 6 so if anything you want less than that. Some 50watt valve amps after 1/2 or 1/4 power switches. Taking Aberdeen as an example Drakes would have been where you need more power due to there being no PA. The DSL401 I recommended has 40watts of power and even through 1 speaker is very loud when cranked up...through a 4x12" it'd be more than enough for any venue.

i have a Marshall DSL401 which is a 40 watt 1x12 valve combo, it was more than loud enough for playing in kef, and should cope fine at somewhere like dr drakes (ie a small venue unmic'ed)

basically anywhere that needs more volume than that can give you should definately have a pa

if you are playing with a transister amp, 100watts+ should be fine, i used a Marshall AVT100 in drakes and it did fine

David

If there is a PA and your amp is getting miked (I think that's why the dictionary calls it miked, Flash, miced is too weird), you should only use your amp for tone. If you need more tone but it's too loud, get a powerbrake or similar (one of the best AC30 sounds I ever heard was through a powerbreak, but it trashes your valves).

Drummers, the drum hasn't just raped your sister, neither have the cymbals. There's a difference between confidence and brutality, and the latter is never cool.

In summary, get the sound you want at a level where it doesn't leave your ears ringing, anything more is madnesWHEEEEEEEEE.

Thats ripped (or raped?) from Mixerman ;)

Heh wattage for gigs, its a funny one, I remember back in my early days of gigging, the 8080 valvestate was the combo I would always borrow (and long to own..:() and it was never loud enough....on Eradicate's tours we had a 100w valvestate head and 4x12 cab, and blew it on both tours due to the volume I needed it to be at (we had one of the loudest drummers in Aberdeen, he;s slacking up these days though!). I near bankrupt myself buying a new 100w valve amp and 4x12 cab, dream come true...and no venue has let me get it passed fucking 2...I always get the thing fucking screaming at practice, and used to crank it out at 6 at my old house for shits and giggles (the windows are still perfectly intact!)

I guess I'm just a fan of the old days....can you imagine a sound engineer asking Hendrix or Townshend to turn down :D

But yeah, you can get by with shitty amps...look at the La's playing T in the park, I'm sure they were taking the piss...but it has to be said, I get a lot of confidence in my singing when I'm almost drowning out my voice with a heavy guitar sound behind me, when I can't get that live, its always a shit gig....but thats just me...its never too loud, you're too old...

Guest Gregor Ascension

the wattage of an amp has nothig to do with how loud it is, at best it is a ball park figure. I used to gig all the time with a Mershall mg30w combo, it was shit, but was more than sufficient for most venues in aberdeen.

Assuming guitar amps as opposed to bass amps.

As a ballpark then a 50W valve amp would produce more than enough. For transistors you'd be look at upwards of 90W.

IMO - the best solution (provided you can afford it) is a ~100W valve head with a suitable powerbrake (recommend Marshall) and a stereo 4x12" angle cab. This would enable you to produce your desired sound(s) at pretty much any volume regardless of whether a PA is involved or not. It would also keep the sound engineer happy. The stereo cab gives you the option to output through 2 speakers or all 4 speakers depending on the size of the stage and whether or not you are going through a PA, and how much stage volume you require offset against the signal strength the sound engineer requires for a good signal to noise ratio. The angle cab helps direct the sound towards your ears assuming that you are going to be much closer to it than the crowd. In the event that you are standing within 15 feet of the cab then you should consider raising it 12"-18" off the deck... unless you are extremely short or have lost your legs in some horrific accident.

Try and go for the most versitile head available.

Assuming guitar amps as opposed to bass amps.

As a ballpark then a 50W valve amp would produce more than enough. For transistors you'd be look at upwards of 90W.

IMO - the best solution (provided you can afford it) is a ~100W valve head with a suitable powerbrake (recommend Marshall) and a stereo 4x12" angle cab. This would enable you to produce your desired sound(s) at pretty much any volume regardless of whether a PA is involved or not. It would also keep the sound engineer happy. The stereo cab gives you the option to output through 2 speakers or all 4 speakers depending on the size of the stage and whether or not you are going through a PA' date=' and how much stage volume you require offset against the signal strength the sound engineer requires for a good signal to noise ratio. The angle cab helps direct the sound towards your ears assuming that you are going to be much closer to it than the crowd. In the event that you are standing within 15 feet of the cab then you should consider raising it 12"-18" off the deck... unless you are extremely short or have lost your legs in some horrific accident.

Try and go for the most versitile head available.[/quote']

Would, but don't have the funds. I think at the moment, am seriously considering a Vox AD100 Valvetronix. They seem to sound quite nice and seem very versatile with the option of adding an additional speaker. One guy has praised them already. Anybody else have one? Pros and cons if you could?

Andy

Thats ripped (or raped?) from Mixerman ;)

I was using that line long before mixerman(EDIT: I'm sure I ripped it off someone else), although his chronicles are a delightful read. Blood on the turntables is a great watch as well. Caught the Stone Roses one the other night (again!), makes me wonder why anyone would want to be in this dirty, messy business!

Jaded and cynical, not me Guv.