aberdeen-music

Straight Edge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally find straight edgers to be nothing more than attention whores. If you dont drink/smoke/do drugs/fuck anything that moves, then good for you but why would you insist on telling everyone by going on about it all the time and tattooing an X on your arse. I also hate the whole for lyfe thing, maybe decent spelling should be part of being straight edge from now on. I dont take drugs or have promiscuous sex but you dont see me changing the way I look to suit a clichd image do you? Anyway, each to their own I suppose...

Guest MerryChristmas

I was sX for 18 years then I moved on

Straight edgers - protesting to have the entry age to bars lowered since

Mcfly.Nirvana.Busted

Love you all, kisses

Yours, really yours, well I would be but I dont abuse my body using alchohol, drugs or sex. Atenshun Hore

I don't drink/smoke/do drugs/indulge in promiscuous sexual activites. I listen to hardcore and dress in a manner that some people may attribute to being 'straight-edge'. I am however not 'straight-edge' and i do not claim to be. I don't require a label to be who i am and to help me decide what path i should take in life anymore than i would require a religion to do so.

However, i don't think that its wrong to proclaim yourself to be 'straight-edge', its a choice an individual person has to make for themselves, and i don't see why people should be ridiculed for making that choice.

Guest Page 99

Didn't know straight edge had a particular image these days.

I know older straight edge bands used to have certain qualities which defined their fashion as straight edge. Most the kids who are staight edge these days just dress like other hardcore or 'hardcore' kids (depends on your opinions in this matter)

Guest Page 99

Hey, If you really want to join in on the 'cool club' you should take straight edge to the extreme:

No caffine, no animal products, total celibacy, no alcahol or drugs, and utter devotion to the ideology of SxE (tattoo's and everything) (I'm sure there was a few other stipulations)

(can't remember which band(s) did this off hand though)

The extremity of straight edge was Ray Cappo, who took it to the next level...whereas some treat sXe like a religion, Ray got very heavily into religion...I think his reasoning was that the aspects of Straight Edge are negative, ie. "Don't do this, don't do that"....so by him getting into Krishna suddenly these were no longer negative actions, but positive actions which are done to obtain the love of Krishna, and adds a sense of fulfillment rather than a sense of loss. I think he's very heavily into it, even the chanting, which just gets me laughing everytime I hear it!

Ray Cappo (aka Raghunath Das, his Krishna name) may have sang for one of the best hardcore bands ever, but I think he lost the plot somewhere along the line. Warning kids, heres what happens to hardcore singers...

http://www.rawyogis.com

I actually am quite interested by this website and ideas, but the religous aspect puts me off....

Caleb Marshal Mobile, United States Of America 00 / 00 / 0000

Formerly of Straight Edge, spirit filled hardcore band Coming To An End, The lead singer of Mobtown's own The Intrusive can now be seen fully equipped with white belt and eye liner bummin' cigs at fashionl-core shows.

hahahaha, fashion is so cool.

Daryl Pulumbo Brooklyn, United States Of America 00 / 00 / 2004

Sings for Glassjaw and Head Automatica. Has an XXX lip tat. Now does Acid and more.

and that's my favourite one.

Ray Cappo (aka Raghunath Das' date=' his Krishna name) may have sang for one of the best hardcore bands ever, but I think he lost the plot somewhere along the line.

[/quote']

Can't agree enough with that.

To be perfectly honest, straight edge is a personal choice and should be kept personal. I can't be arsed with edgers that ponce about and proclaim that they're better than you or more edge than you or whatever.

Tattoos are a funny one - I fully understand that people may find it a contradiction to live a poison-free lifestyle and cover their skin in ink, but I think it can also be seen as a confirmation of a life-long commitment.

When it comes to straight edge, I think the term 'each to their own' sums up the whole scene.

Can't agree enough with that.

To be perfectly honest' date=' straight edge is a personal choice and should be kept personal. I can't be arsed with edgers that ponce about and proclaim that they're better than you or more edge than you or whatever.

Tattoos are a funny one - I fully understand that people may find it a contradiction to live a poison-free lifestyle and cover their skin in ink, but I think it can also be seen as a confirmation of a life-long commitment.

When it comes to straight edge, I think the term 'each to their own' sums up the whole scene.[/quote']I agree with the "each to their own" and thats how it should be I reckon, but it just isn't in alot of cases. Also, what happenes if you break it and you've got a tattoo. Of course it happens. Maybe thats why they get it on the inside of the lip, then they can hide it away awash in a sea of cheap cider.

I wonder if any straight edge kids would consider passive smoking to make them no longer straight edge.

That is a very valid point.

I bet these straight edgers are really chronic alcoholics how have a hip flask that they hide inside their baggy jeans

Also' date=' what happenes if you break it and you've got a tattoo. Of course it happens. Maybe thats why they get it on the inside of the lip, then they can hide it away awash in a sea of cheap cider.[/quote']

Haha, I guess the answer to that is 'Don't break edge'. I'm sure most tattoo artists love doing sXe tattoos cos they know that person'll be back in year or two to get it covered up.

I think it's so fucking ridiculous.

It would be like a vegetarian getting "xXxVEGGIE4LYFExXx" tattood on their forehead.

assholes.

I'm all for living a healthier existance but do they honestly have to do it in such a prickish way?