aberdeen-music

How influencial will Live 8 really be?

Hog

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but.. we are 'aware' arent we?

Yeah we are, but the population of the most powerful country had a chance to change the world last November, but they re-elected a genocidal religious fundamentalist who smirks his way through press conferences detailing his military losses. Part of me hopes someone crashes a plane into Gleneagles next week, and takes every single one of those motherfuckers out. The problem is that no one *really* gives a shit beyond the emotive images on the telly, because we live in a right-wing, selfish society with little regard for human values. Two thirds of the worlds population live in the shit so that the other third can live in comparitive luxury. Let's face - would you give up your I-pod and your Lexus to live in a fairer world. I'm sure some people would, but most won't.

I'm sure most people think the same way as you' date=' myself included. However, there ARE people who donate to make them feel better about themselves. That is a fact of life. And if utilising a little spin encourages that demographic, then what's the problem?

Out of interest what would your 'superior' ways be?

Not directing this at you personally, but I'm a tad dismayed by the perceived negativity towards a movement that is doing it's damndest to produce positive outcomes.[/quote']

It is not a problem. I merely believe it to be slightly distasteful thats all.

I was stating that I do not feel myself to be superior to anyone that does not give to charity. I feel there are many people in the World who look down on people who do not give money to charities for instance, and I am against that type of attitude.

As someone who would like to make poverty history-who wouldnt? - I am merely criticising elements of a movement that may end up doing more harm than good.

This is just one example.

It is recognised by certain experts on Africa and economists that neo-liberal economic policies forced on Africa from the West is one of the foremost reasons why Africa is maybe the only Continent in the World not to have prospered in the past twenty to thirty years, however, no one in the movement has talked out about that. Unbelievably enough, they even support it because the debt relief packages to the 15 poorest Countries that Make Poverty History has ostensibly helped come about have conditions attached to them. Of course, the one condition that is always mentioned is good governance, but what is rarely mentioned is the other conditions such as the liberalisation of markets and the privatisation of basic services. These conditions that are imposed, are deeply unpopular with the vast majority of Africans, as they realise that these policies will continue to make them poor. Whats is the point of them liberalising their markets when the West doesnt? The G8 summit is not going to change that, as I believe the Common Agricultural Policy, for instance, has just been renewed until 2007; therefore trade inequalities are going to exist for many years to come.

To the man who wants ciggys...here's the setlist so plan your shopping trip!

. Paul McCartney/U2 - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. U2 - One

3. Coldplay (introduced by Bonio) - In My Place; Fix You; Bitter Sweet Symphony (duet with Richard Ashcroft)

4. Elton John (introduced by Little Britain's Matt Lucas and David Walliams) - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting; Children of the Revolution (duet with Pete Doherty)

5. Dido - Life For Rent; White Flag; Thank You

6. Sterephonics - songs TBC

7. REM - The One I Love; Losing My Religion; Imitation Of Life; Everybody Hurts

8. Ms Dynamite - Dynamitee; Judgement Day; Redemption Song

9. Keane - Everybody's Changing; Somewhere Only We Know

10. Travis - Sing; Turn; Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

11. Annie Lennox - Walking On Broken Glass; Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves; Sweet Dreams

12. UB40 - medley of songs

13. Snoop Dogg - songs TBC

14. Razorlight - Somewhere Else; Golden Touch; Vice

15. Madonna - Like A Prayer; Music; Ray of Light

16. Snow Patrol - Chocolate; Run

17. Joss Stone - I Had A Dream; Super Duper Love

18. Scissor Sisters - Laura; Take Your Mama

19. Velvet Revolver - TBC

20. The Killers - TBC

21. Sting - Message In A Bottle; Desert Rose

22. Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love; Make It Happen

23. Robbie Williams - Let me Entertain You; Rock DJ; Feel

24. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again; Baba O'Riley

25. Pink Floyd - Money, Comfortably Numb; Wish You Were Here

26. Paul McCartney - Long And Winding Road

27. Finale (approx 8.45pm) - Possibly Macca with legends such as Mick Jagger and/or George Michael.

Ricky Gervais was for the firts time ever pretty unfunny at the start and I noticed he pulled something out of the hat to save him from dying on stage. He was thrown off key by the guy doing a mic test and walked off, came back, and then when he was talking suddenly sdaid "who said do the dance? It ain't gonna happen...oh okay then"

He couldn't possibly have heard someone call that out...it was a quick way of getting everyone perked up as he was really dying. Well done for thinking of your feet RG.

I missed him gah.

What's with everyone trying to sound rebellious by swearing abnormally... Madonna for example.

I missed heaps of it but im not dissapointed in the slightest.

Live8 won't do much to be fair.

Maybe it will show how much something needs to be done but I think we have already made that point.

To get Africa sorted we don't need to throw money at them we need to get those corrupt bastards out of power in the African nations and start using our resources wisely.

Guest treader.
Maybe it will show how much something needs to be done but I think we ahve already made that point.

To get Africa sorted we don't need to throw money at them we need to get those corrupt bastards out of power in the African nations and start using our resources wisely.

ahem.....

Guest Page 99

Perhaps we should also drop the large trade embargos, and drag fact that pharmaceutical companies still charge these poor countries over inflated amounts for the simplest of HIV vaccines, into the light of day?

Perhaps we (as a western 'civilised' society) also need to realise that is was our own damn fault that a lot of these countries are ravaged by civil war. Seeing as in our western wisdom we decided to sell them armaments and vehicles for our own personal agendas, and then hold massive debts against them ever since. Ill bet some of the African people are very grateful indeed for these kind acts, especialy the ones who's familys where slaughtered by paramilitary forces, with the weapons we sold to them.

I am cynical about this whole thing as I believe there is not a single good soul within the G8; they all have far too much to lose by beginning to delve into Africa, and some concert is not going to help change these peoples minds, no matter how blatantly the public seem to want it.

Also, the public have only recently become interested in this topic of late because of the publicity, normally the campaigns to help 3rd world countries are ignored due to desensitisation, and just like them I think this one will eventualy fizzle out and die, and people will go back to eating their Macdonalds. Which is criminal in it's self, but that's just life I guess.

there was something michael jackson-esque about mariah carey taking the stage with lots of african kids.

peter kay doesnt drink so he wouldnt have been pissed.

velvet revolver rocked

scissor sisters and joss stone were out of order promoting new songs, thats not what it was all about.

sting remains a cunt

pink floyd and the who were remarkably good for old chaps

i do agree its gonna take more than a few gigs to sort out the mess that is africa.

the singalong to 'hey jude' at the end was just plain embarrasing, 'oh look as us we're so good making you peasants aware about poverty' and either carey or stone just had to wail like a demented baboon over the top as well.

sting is still a cunt

and so is elton john

there was something michael jackson-esque about mariah carey taking the stage with lots of african kids.

peter kay doesnt drink so he wouldnt have been pissed.

velvet revolver rocked

scissor sisters and joss stone were out of order promoting new songs' date=' thats not what it was all about.

sting remains a cunt

pink floyd and the who were remarkably good for old chaps

i do agree its gonna take more than a few gigs to sort out the mess that is africa.

the singalong to 'hey jude' at the end was just plain embarrasing, 'oh look as us we're so good making you peasants aware about poverty' and either carey or stone just had to wail like a demented baboon over the top as well.

sting is still a cunt

and so is elton john[/quote']

Sighhh....like him or not, Sting was clearly one of the best performers of the whole day....as was Elton John.

And Joss Stone and Scissor Sisters werent out of order in the slightest IMHO. If Velvet Revolver played new stuff yesterday, then as a fan, that is exactly what you would want to have heard. JS and SS both played very well received gigs in front of a billion people worldwide....so irrespective of whether they played the new material or not, the good publicity they'll get would assure them of big sales on the new stuff anyway. Plus they all played for free....methinks out of order by arse.

I thought Macca was pretty rubbish actually but The Who were ferocious and Floyd sublime.

But here's something sweet.

On the train this morning there were a bunch of kids, about 15, all like characters in Sugar Rush, and it turned out they'd all been up watching Live8, and one of them called his friend and said The Who were the best thing there except for Floyd...he had tears in his eyes at the start and couldn't believe they had reunite...amazing when you consider they broke up five years before he was born!

So even the young were blown away by the old!