aberdeen-music

How influencial will Live 8 really be?

Hog

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to figure out what Geldof and the rest of the organisers hope to achieve with the Live 8 gigs. The G8 summit is basically a charade that politicians go through every so often to get some photos to bulk up the shiny section of their memoirs. If Sir Bob was really serious about influencing people to put third world poverty at the top of their agendas' date=' he would have organised these events for this time last year, with elections in the US and the UK imminent. As it stands, the only election in the forseeable future for any of the G8 countries is Germany, who have never been the biggest players in the third world historically.

Right now it seems to me, the message is "We don't want your money, we just want to make you feel guilty and sell a few more records"[/quote']

i dont think thats an unreasonable point......

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I too see this as a total waste of time - in all the features, news items etc about Live 8, all that is focused on is the 'big name acts' who will be playing...who the fuck cares, the only band out of the entire lot that I would actually be the slightest bit interested in is Razorlight, because they have a few good songs.

Yes' date=' drop the third world debt and lets see all those corrupt African dictators spend their new found wealth on more guns to kill each other with. :rockon:[/quote']

Unfortunately with people like Mugabe on the go you're right

I dont think it possibly can be influential as I believe that the basis of the summit, I.e. what is going to be discussed etc, has been written for a while now. Therefore, I cant possibly see how todays concerts are going to influence decisions that have essentially already been made.

As Dave correctly points out, the Live Aid organisers should have been attempting to influence politicians in the run up to the US and UK elections in 2004 and 2005. However, in the US, neither Bush or Kerry would have received extra support for talking about poverty in Africa, therefore neither of them did. During campaigning in the UK General Election, Tony Blair brought up the subject of Africa and discussed strategies to alleviate the problems there, but me and my fellow cynics believe that was merely a gambit to try and win back key supporters, like readers of The Guardian and The Independent, who deserted Blair and New Labour because of the Iraq War.

In response to the person who states sarcastically, Yes, drop the third world debt and lets see all those corrupt African dictators spend their new found wealth on more guns to kill each other with, where do you think these dictators buy their weapons from? Tesco? According to The Guardian, since Tony Blair came to power in 1997, the number of weapons sales to Africa, and the number of export licenses for weapons granted has increased significantly. I believe the issue of G8 Countries selling armaments to underdeveloped African Countries and human rights abusing regimes should be one the most important issues being addressed at the G8 summit, but unfortunately the issue has barely been raised. This is probably because Bono and Geldof know that if they raise that issue they will upset Bush and Blair, which they do not want to do, which leads me on to my final comment about the Make Poverty History Campaign.

As George Monbiot pointed out in The Guardian a few weeks ago, Bono and Geldof have never ever criticised Bush and Blair. Bono even called Blair and Brown the Lennon and McCartney of global development, which raised a few smiles from NGOs. Last Sunday, Bono was interviewed on Meet The Press and was asked to respond to some of the comments made by George Monbiot, and Bono replied that if Bush, Blair, Brown et al Mess up the chance to end global poverty, which Bono thinks they wont do, he and his fellow philanthropists will criticise them immensely. However, I am sceptical that will happen as he hasnt criticised them for carrying out policies that has crippled Africa. For example, the US subsidising cotton.

Another issue that I have with the Make Poverty History campaign is the fact that the words Make History are highlighted in their emblem. Therefore, the organisers of Make Poverty History are more or less saying, Hey, you can make history and change the World. Be Proud of yourself. Am I the only person who finds that distasteful? Surely ending poverty in Africa and in the World should be about helping innocent people who have had to face the utmost difficulties in life, not about massaging ones own ego and thinking, I am a great person etc. It is ridiculous! :swearing:

Another issue that I have with the Make Poverty History campaign is the fact that the words Make History are highlighted in their emblem. Therefore' date=' the organisers of Make Poverty History are more or less saying, Hey, you can make history and change the World. Be Proud of yourself. Am I the only person who finds that distasteful? Surely ending poverty in Africa and in the World should be about helping innocent people who have had to face the utmost difficulties in life, not about massaging ones own ego and thinking, I am a great person etc. It is ridiculous! :swearing:[/quote']

Why should that be seen as a negative issue if it gets people thinking about the campaign, who might not normally have been made aware?

The point is being made and there is an additional bit of positive reinforcement there for good measure.

Don't see a problem with that at all.

Why should that be seen as a negative issue if it gets people thinking about the campaign' date=' who might not normally have been made aware?

The point is being made and there is an additional bit of positive reinforcement there for good measure.

Don't see a problem with that at all.[/quote']

What I stated in my post was merely my opinion. Personally, when I give money to charity or a cause I believe in, I do so to help people less fortunate than myself and to create justice n a World full of injustices. Whilst doing so, I never think that I am a great person and I am superior to people who do not give money to charity, but that is just me. If you or any other person feels differently when giving money to charity or good causes that is fine, it is your right to do so.

If the people of Make Poverty History want to get more people involved in their campaign surely there are superior ways to do so than encouraging people to Make History.

What I stated in my post was merely my opinion. Personally' date=' when I give money to charity or a cause I believe in, I do so to help people less fortunate than myself and to create justice n a World full of injustices. Whilst doing so, I never think that I am a great person and I am superior to people who do not give money to charity, but that is just me. If you or any other person feels differently when giving money to charity or good causes that is fine, it is your right to do so.

If the people of Make Poverty History want to get more people involved in their campaign surely there are superior ways to do so than encouraging people to Make History.[/quote']

I'm sure most people think the same way as you, myself included. However, there ARE people who donate to make them feel better about themselves. That is a fact of life. And if utilising a little spin encourages that demographic, then what's the problem?

Out of interest what would your 'superior' ways be?

Not directing this at you personally, but I'm a tad dismayed by the perceived negativity towards a movement that is doing it's damndest to produce positive outcomes.

i think its gona work in a way, cause it shows that there are a hell of a lot of people who will be pissed off if nothing is done about it. and the leaders probably wont want to upset people - your right in saying they should have done it last year, cause then they would be scared they wouldnt get voted in again. but it might still work

Let's fact it Bono has made a career out of spouting out and preaching to us. I find it insulting that a man who was charging 70 a ticket for his last concert' date=' which estimates at 4.8m, preaches to me about proverty![/quote']

And then sues some dame because he gets his trousers nicked!

So far this has been an abysmal event. Unlike the chaotic fun of the original this is worthy, pompous and gloomy. Everyone and their dog is trying to be seen there...why the fuck is Brad Pitt coming on stage to tell us about people dying of poverty?

Who are these politicans who are to blame, as everyone in thew world seems to be at Hyde Park saying they hate poverty.

Good on them for organising this but I have no idea what it is meant to be achieving, and pausing between iffy performances to have celebrities come on and patronise us is deplorable and I thought in these post Brass Eye days people wouldn't suffer that any more.

i wonder how much it costs to set up all those huge stages around the world, pay all the security, first-aid, engineers, broadcasters, traffic controllers, artists blah blah.. surely that money could have been put to the use of 'making poverty history'..

but hey it's great, we get to watch great music for hours on end whilst africans are dying.. and i bet the majority of people watching the show forget to actually phone in money.