aberdeen-music

The Queers Sack Andy Dangerfield

Stephen

Taken From PunkNews.Org

Earlier this month Andrew Griswold of Northern Ireland band the Dangerfields parted ways with the Queers, for whom he was drumming on their ongoing European tour. The split was certainly not amiable, as this post appeared on the Dangerfields' website.

Andrew Griswold has been sacked by The Queers after just eight UK shows. Joe Queer and his booking agents Blah, Blah, Blah Tours wanted The Dangerfields off the tour from day one and Andy was not prepared to sit back and watch his band get fucked in the ass.

After much bickering and bullshit, The Queers have flown in former drummer Dave Trevino to take Andy's place. Under the circumstances, The Dangerfields feel we cannot continue with the tour. We are left without transport, money and equipment and our principles mean more to us than sucking Joe Queer's corporate cock.

No statement from the Queers' side has been made.

meh the queers are fucking balls anyway' date=' i hope this means they split up.[/quote']

well no as they had a replacement drummer.

Andy of The Dangerfields was only filling in either.

Apparently it was over an argument on the forums with the guy booking the tour and the manager.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Old news.

Why would The Queers split up after a replacement drummer couldn't play their songs? I think if they can handle Hugh o' Neil dying of brain cancer after 15+ years behind the kit they can handle some irish dude who didn't know their songs leaving. I spoke to Joe for a long time about this after their set. Andy was too shit to play The Queers songs, they should have fucking asked me I know them all anyway. They tried to be polite about it and said it just wasn't working out, but Andrew threw a hissy fit. Apparently he had begged to play drums and The Queers just went along with it.

How exactly would Joe Queer posses a 'corporate' cock? He's in his fucking 40s and his money sources are The Queers (must make a shitload from that being that every label screws them out of thousands of dollars) and working on his brother's fishing boat. Yeah, big cigar smoking fat cat he is.

Milner I'm afraid just like your mates Status Quo, The Queers will be around for a lot longer.

I'm with milner on the 'queers are shit' line of argument. They honestly sounded like a pish, slow version of 10EW, no joke. Last time wishes played with 'em wasn't even near their top form and they still brutalised the gays. I walked out after 3 songs, 'cos i couldn't tell the difference between them and their singers were both shite.

Guest Andrew Griswold
Why would The Queers split up after a replacement drummer couldn't play their songs? I think if they can handle Hugh o' Neil dying of brain cancer after 15+ years behind the kit they can handle some irish dude who didn't know their songs leaving. I spoke to Joe for a long time about this after their set. Andy was too shit to play The Queers songs, they should have fucking asked me I know them all anyway. They tried to be polite about it and said it just wasn't working out, but Andrew threw a hissy fit.

What a big bunch of bullshit. Tom, I've been playing drums since 1989 and, trust me, the Queers set posed no problem whatsoever. Go check any of the reviews of the shows I played. Longtime Queers fans were saying it was the best they'd ever seen them. I wouldn't go that far but we certainly didn't suck. The only reason I was sacked was because I had an argument with their agent over his total mishandling of the tour (in particular the shoddy treatment dealt out to The Dangerfields and our fellow support act Dead By Gun from Finland who, incidentally, had paid 1,600 euros to buy onto the tour and were getting utterly shafted every night). Joe felt his position with the agent was under threat unless he got rid of me/us.

Apparently he had begged to play drums and The Queers just went along with it.

This is just an absolute, incredible, 100% lie! The total opposite is actually true. Joe was desperate for a drummer after he lost (sacked?) the last guy and hired me at three weeks' notice. He was lucky to find someone/anyone willing to drop everything for an entire summer to go on tour with his sketchy outfit. Even his current bassist and the drummer who replaced me (Dave Trevino of Even In Blackouts who Joe kicked out last year for doing coke on tour.. allegedly) bitched at length on the EIB tour about Joe and his bullshit. Of course, they're happy to bite their tongues and tour with him cos they know where their paychecks are coming from.

some irish dude

And what the fuck has being Irish got to do with anything you fucking clown?

How exactly would Joe Queer posses a 'corporate' cock? He's in his fucking 40s and his money sources are The Queers (must make a shitload from that being that every label screws them out of thousands of dollars) and working on his brother's fishing boat. Yeah, big cigar smoking fat cat he is.

In his own desperately smalltime way, he is one of the most corporate, cynical money men I've met in the "biz" so far. Every other word out of his mouth is a putdown of some other band and all he gives a damn about is the guarantee at the end of the night. Everybody is entitled to believe what they want about this tour but we've been around the block a lot of times and generally get on fucking great with every band we tour with. Joe Queer was the sad exception and it's no coincidence that almost every previous Queers member has nothing but illwill towards the guy. He's a cunt.

Unsuprising. The Dangerfields have always been lacking in talent in my opinion, especially if thrown into a professional arena.

A professional arena? What, like playing with Therapy?, Funeral For A Friend, Zeke, Misfits, Nashville Pussy, Supersuckers, SLF, DRI, The Damned, The Exploited, Discharge, Agnostic Front, Poison Idea, Capdown, Electric Eel Shock and about a million others? Or touring Europe three times with no label support? Or performing live on the Bruce Dickinson BBC Rock Show at his personal invite? Get a grip. And if you think The Queers are operating in a "professional arena", you are beyond deluded.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
What a big bunch of bullshit. Tom' date=' I've been playing drums since 1989 and, trust me, the Queers set posed no problem whatsoever. Go check any of the reviews of the shows I played. Longtime Queers fans were saying it was the best they'd ever seen them. I wouldn't go that far but we certainly didn't suck. The only reason I was sacked was because I had an argument with their agent over his total mishandling of the tour (in particular the shoddy treatment dealt out to The Dangerfields and our fellow support act Dead By Gun from Finland who, incidentally, had paid 1,600 euros to buy onto the tour and were getting utterly shafted every night). Joe felt his position with the agent was under threat unless he got rid of me/us.

This is just an absolute, incredible, 100% lie! The total opposite is actually true. Joe was desperate for a drummer after he lost (sacked?) the last guy and hired me at three weeks' notice. He was lucky to find someone/anyone willing to drop everything for an entire summer to go on tour with his sketchy outfit. Even his current bassist and the drummer who replaced me (Dave Trevino of Even In Blackouts who Joe kicked out last year for doing coke on tour.. allegedly) bitched at length on the EIB tour about Joe and his bullshit. Of course, they're happy to bite their tongues and tour with him cos they know where their paychecks are coming from.

And what the fuck has being Irish got to do with anything you fucking clown?

In his own desperately smalltime way, he is one of the most corporate, cynical money men I've met in the "biz" so far. Every other word out of his mouth is a putdown of some other band and all he gives a damn about is the guarantee at the end of the night. Everybody is entitled to believe what they want about this tour but we've been around the block a lot of times and generally get on fucking great with every band we tour with. Joe Queer was the sad exception and it's no coincidence that almost every previous Queers member has nothing but illwill towards the guy. He's a cunt.

[/quote']

I don't doubt your prowess as a drummer. Joe just acted like you had trouble learning the songs, ie how they went, he made no comment on your technicality.

Easy there, read what I said. You must have a chip on your shoulder if you think that me referring to you as an Irish person is some kind of insult. Why would The Queers be dependant on a guy living in Ireland, whom they barely know? They are based in the USA, so it wouldn't be a very smart arrangement. Hence my mentioning of it in response to 'Milner's post.

Hugh o' Neil, long time friend and member of The Queers dies, and The Queers continue as a band.

Andrew Griswold, man whom Joe barely knows, who resides in Belfast, quits band after 2 weeks...see where this is going?

Is Baz the main messenger in this? If you ask me, I think both of you need to question each others situations. I certainly didn't doubt Joe, he seems like an honest guy and has always been friendly and sensible whenever I have chatted with him.

Now that I think about it, the one time I met you and judging by your posts on this and other message boards, I certainly wouldn't say that you met the description of the Andrew Griswold Joe was bitching about. I think Baz is covering his own ass here. I have had dealings with Baz before and he is 110% dodgy, the guy is one of the biggest bullshitters I've ever spoken to. Besides, The Queers are a long established and world-famous punk act. Do you really think that if they stopped working with Baz that someone else wouldn't step in as their agent?

Before the cancelled Queers tour last year, Baz asked if we wanted to play some of the dates, he said we could play all the Scottish shows or something. Then he said we'd have to pay to play them. Then he said we couldn't play them even if we were prepared to pay, but we could play one show with them in Coventry and a few dates with EIB. Then he said he was impressed with our music and wanted us to be main tour support for the entire UK Queers Tour. Then he said we had to pay to do this. Then he cancelled the tour.

Anyway, I've never seen the side of Joe that you're describing.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

hardly? I speak to joe for a good 20 minutes about the whole thing, and he seems totally relaxed and at most slightly inconvenienced by the whole thing, come on here and read what Andy has posted about him and the queers, and defend it. I think andrew has the wrong impression of joe, but like i've admitted in my post, i don't exactly know him like the back of my hand either. All i'm saying is that in the few times i've met him and chatted to him he has been nothing like andy described. Likewise I think if The Dangerfields were getting shafted or whatever Baz Barrett was to blame, and I speculate that he made skapegoats out of andy and joe respectively.

Three sides to every story, folks.

Whether you like the Dangerfields, Andy and his drumming style, or not, do you really expect he would agree to undertake a tour like this unprepared and unable to properly play the tracks? I've known Andy a lot of years, and I can't believe that would ever happen. I also know that he's one of the most hardworking and genuine guys we've ever played alongside! He's been around long enough to know how things are, and I've seen him take a paltry sum of money for doing a gig but still be happy with it. Likewise, I've seen him have to dig very very deep in his own pockets to cover gigs that he's promoted himself when the attendance figures didn't cover the finances. Lastly, I also know that when it comes to his bands, he's laid back and flexible, as long as they aren't being taken for a ride.

On Baz from BlahBlahBlah tours, in my own dealings with him he's always struck me as a nice guy. However, the tour booking business is a very hard one to be in, and often things turn out much different from what both parties expected or wanted. All I'll say is that I have no beef with Baz, and that anything else I know about him and his dealings with other bands is not something I should be spreading around the Internet.

I have no idea of how the Queers or Joe Queer in particular are, so I can make no comment there. All I will say is that having had dealings with individuals who are big names in bands known worldwide, is that often the reality of how that person is can be quite different to their legend in music history.

I just wanna clear a couple of things up, having been involved in almost every part of this bullshit I wanna lay some things straight:

1. Andy definately didn't beg Joe to join The Queers, I've seen emails Joe sent to Andy asking him to play, I've also got msn conversations with Baz saved (you always have to have proof of everything Baz says to you as he is a double talking prick) where he asked Andy to play. Andy was quite reluctant to do the gigs, it ment he had to postpone the Dangerfields album launch. I and a few others spent a while convincing him to do the Queers tour.

2. I put The Queers show on in Belfast (after which Andy got kicked out) and Joe was saying to me (and a few others) that kicking Andy out was "just business" and he played the songs fine. However that story has changed on more than one occasion.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

ho ho ho, very drole.

however, if you were genuinely wondering too, they are a surf/pop band who have a real heavy punk and rock n roll influence. been going since the early 80s and were previously involved with the likes of Lookout! records and Hopeless Record. Highly recommended.

ho ho ho' date=' very drole.

however, if you were genuinely wondering too, they are a surf/pop band who have a real heavy punk and rock n roll influence. been going since the early 80s and were previously involved with the likes of Lookout! records and Hopeless Record. Highly recommended.[/quote']

It was a genuine question :)

The last part was a bit of a wheeze..

:D