aberdeen-music

Old Mudd Club flyer

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Myself and the missus found an old flyer down the side of her sofa yesterday. She's only had the couch a few months, we heard coins rattling so we slit the thing open at the bottom, where we found an old Palace flyer amongst the princely sum of 1.26. This flyer is from a Xmas Eve and names DJ's Paul and Ross. The slogan is "Out of your tree on Xmas Eve". I'm just wondering what year it could be from? My guess is about 5 years ago or so? I'm assuming it's the very same Ross who does Bondage. It's amazing what you can find.

Myself and the missus found an old flyer down the side of her sofa yesterday. She's only had the couch a few months' date=' we heard coins rattling so we slit the thing open at the bottom, where we found an old Palace flyer amongst the princely sum of 1.26. This flyer is from a Xmas Eve and names DJ's Paul and Ross. The slogan is "Out of your tree on Xmas Eve". I'm just wondering what year it could be from? My guess is about 5 years ago or so? I'm assuming it's the very same Ross who does Bondage. It's amazing what you can find.[/quote']

I had a few similar flyers stored away in a drawer. Closer inspection revealed a ska and soul night as well at the old palace. It's just not the same at moshulu.

I had a few similar flyers stored away in a drawer. Closer inspection revealed a ska and soul night as well at the old palace. It's just not the same at moshulu.

There was a ska/punk sorta night on Sundays at Moshulu I recall and naebody went so it got stopped quite sharpish.

Where's Ross gone?

The palace was bigger. And had stickier carpets.

And a better and bigger dancefloor.

..and there is the fact that I still associate Moshulu with the horribile 'Zuu'. I was dragged to said establishment a couple of times in my younger days, and it was a haven of happy hardcore, and dancing round handbags. Not a good place to be!

..and there is the fact that I still associate Moshulu with the horribile 'Zuu'. I was dragged to said establishment a couple of times in my younger days' date=' and it was a haven of happy hardcore, and dancing round handbags. Not a good place to be![/quote']

Indeed.... and I remember when the zuu was THE place to be when i was in first year at uni.... 1995.... holy fuck..... getting old.

Safe to say I went a few times, then found the Palace round the corner one night.

palace owned moshulu. not that moshulu is bad in anyway. just the palace felt better. maybe it's just too many good memories of the palace. i never once had a bad night out at the palace, and there was always someone there you knew + you knew exactly where to find them as well. everyone had their own spot where they spent the evening.

my girlfriend and i once went to the ritz in manchester which was also owned by luminar leisure and was a very similar building and club to bondage. we felt like the bit in jay and silent bob strike back when jay and bob are standing outside the convenienve store but just can't get comfy. just wasn't the same and nothing ever will be. it's probably unfair to compare moshulu and the palace, moshulu is a fine place in it's own right and the bassment is an ace bar. but the palace was the palace.

and there was always someone there you knew + you knew exactly where to find them as well. everyone had their own spot where they spent the evening.

What was your spot? Ours used to be either a) the barrier to the right of the stairs as you entered the main room or b) upper level, left side overlooking the dancefloor. Much more a) than b)....

I also remember an early meeting with Mr Morrison, me demanding to know who Jonny A Go Go was, and him seeming to think I was some sort of crazed bounty-hunter. Which I guess was reasonable, considering who I was looking for....

What was your spot? Ours used to be either a) the barrier to the right of the stairs as you entered the main room or b) upper level, left side overlooking the dancefloor. Much more a) than b)....

I loved the Palace. I was always impressed by the fact you could go out entirely by yourself on a Friday or Monday night and still meet a bunch of people you knew. After a couple of months I joined the Fudge lot at the table behind the DJ booth. My life was never quite the same again... .

we floated between the aforementioned table by the DJ booth with the fudge crew and either the barriers looking over the dancefloor at the back, or the barrier by the dancefloor to the right when you went in.

Now at moshulu I usually just pick a space at the bar, or wander aimlessly.

We always used to stand up on the top right over the far side looking over the dancefloor.

Happy days.

Could always walk in and find loads of people I knew standing there.

Moshulu, I just seem to stand at the bar just inside the door. I never dance anymore, which is probably why i'm so pissed all of the time.