aberdeen-music

666 Metal Mayhem 666

Ok maybe we are quite naive in thinking that if we question the Promoter etc then we will be doin ourselve damange regardless of how good we are. Personaly i didnt think that friday at kef didnt sound bad' date=' in my opinion it sounded quite good although maybe not as good as say the moorings.

[/quote']

It' up to the bands to question the promoters, the Aberdeen scene would be a lot better off if certain promoters were stood up to. If bands wont stand their ground no-one will. The bands need to have an idea of whats a fair price (see GFN's average 40 payment) and not play unless the promoter will do his best. I've hard of promoters paying bands 20 for sell out gigs which is ridiculous. It's important that the band trusts the promoter, and that they value their music. I'm not saying bands should get silly, but about 30-40 for 30-45 minutes is abiout right, I was once told that the average pay for a local band should work out at about 1 per minute playing, that sounds about right to me. I know that new bands feel they cant be selective about where they play but a gig in Kef wont benefit you or your prospective if they're overcharging on the door and underpaying the bands, it's up to the bands to say no. The cheaper the gig, the more chance people will take the chance of going to see an unheard of, starting out band.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of interesting points here.

Firstly, Jester correctly pointed out that he has heard of bands playing sold out gigs for 20. I have heard of bands being paid nothing for sold out/high turnout gigs which is even worse.

Its difficult being a new band, there is a fine line between being a gig whore (taking any gig) but not being ripped off.

Certainly with Cloud talking about the Black Atom, Risactonia, Element 106 gig, 3 was decent value for money. One thing though which I think is important is that bands who have been around for a while should help up and coming bands. Perhaps Im being too idealistic but certainly with Atom, Risactonia and Element these bands have been on the go collectively for about 15-20 years (approx) surely playing with each other (kinky) but also from time to time, playing with new bands will help make the local aberdeen scene better.

Im really fucked off with bitchy threads but I have enjoyed reading this one, its slightly heated but constructive.

Weeping Jesus lads, we will play with ya soon Im sure :up:

Ok ive just found out we`ve been payed around forty pounds for friday`s gig (or so im lead to believe) which goin by what has been said is pretty good for a half an hour slot although i dont know about the other bands.

I personally would love it if we got more gigs and especially with older bands within the aberdeen scene, but we aint gonna get that oppertunity if we dont take the gigs were offered. We are tryin to get a gig where we can promote and make decision regarding price etc. Anyway youll be kept up to date.

Also thanks for all the comments and words of wisdom i really appreciate it as i would have never of known and probably carried on accepting everything.

Also hopefully Statue of Misery will end up bein one of the better known bands in aberdeen but we wont get there without support. We do do a few songs on a sunday at the moorins now and again just to get ourselves heard.

Ill Stop rambling and thanks again

Like i said before money isnt everything, i dont play in a band because i get paid (very little) or because people will think im 'cool' like some aberdeen bands do (no names).

I play in a band because i fucking love music, i would rather play to a sold out club/pub with everyone having a good time and being paid nothing than play to 5 people who hate us and being paid 50.

Hog made a good point bout older more experianced bands helping new bands, these are the kind of bands you want to surround yourself with and there have been bands who have helped us and whenever we can we will help them back, and vise versa.

Ok ive just found out we`ve been payed around forty pounds for friday`s gig (or so im lead to believe) which goin by what has been said is pretty good for a half an hour slot although i dont know about the other bands.

I personally would love it if we got more gigs and especially with older bands within the aberdeen scene' date=' but we aint gonna get that oppertunity if we dont take the gigs were offered. We are tryin to get a gig where we can promote and make decision regarding price etc. Anyway youll be kept up to date.

Also thanks for all the comments and words of wisdom i really appreciate it as i would have never of known and probably carried on accepting everything.

Also hopefully Statue of Misery will end up bein one of the better known bands in aberdeen but we wont get there without support. We do do a few songs on a sunday at the moorins now and again just to get ourselves heard.

Ill Stop rambling and thanks again[/quote']

I'm sure GFN? will be able to get you on at Moorings or Tunnels sometime in the future

you can just wait for gigs to be offered to you.

GFN? and Fudge often look for support bands for metal gigs. At every available opportuinty that you see a line-up you think you might fit in on, jump in and say "we would like to play at this gig".

Or, even before you see a line-up, PM somebody from the GFN? Collective or Fudge or any other promoters/gigs you hear about and say "we're available for local gigs, we sould like yadda yadda yadda".

You're not gonna get anything done waiting to be offered. And The Moorings on a Sunday is hardly the ideal place to get yourself heard. Because the people that are there fall into three crowds

1-local rock n rollers that never attened/have anything to do with lcoal gigs, they just want to have a drink

2-jazz funk improv guys down for a jam that are not really into metal

3-myself and a few others that like getting drunk and making up grindcore on the spot because we're bored

the only people that will really be that interested tyo hear you guys at The Moorings....is your mates. And I'm sure they're heard you before.

Already been thinking in that respect' date=' that's why I asked if there was anything online at all :p[/quote']

We could try and get you a copy. If you wanna email me your address i could even send one to you.

Its brymon@hotmail.com

I think we are gonna try and get stuff on the net. I think were waitin until our website is finished. And yes we are gonna get up of our arses and start gettin more gigs

Bry

so well fit do you guys hink would be the be the best place for us to play' date=' or just try and get a gig?[/quote']i dont mean dont play the moorings. play the moorings by all means. but dont go down on a Sunday night to play at Open Mic if you're actually expecting to get noticed by doing that. cos you're not going to get noticed there on a Sunday.

no, Flahs uses different promoters for gigs on Saturdays. the mian ones being AUBL every now and then but defnetely the main one is Good For Nothing? promotions who have a forum right here on this site, just go to the Local promoters section of the forums, theres their forum there.

Come on, surely it's not that difficult. All you have to do is go to The Moorings forum and say "hey, hwo do we get on to gigs on a Saturday" and it'd be answered pretty quickly.

no' date=' Flahs uses different promoters for gigs on Saturdays. the mian ones being AUBL every now and then but defnetely the main one is Good For Nothing? promotions who have a forum right here on this site, just go to the Local promoters section of the forums, theres their forum there.

Come on, surely it's not that difficult. All you have to do is go to The Moorings forum and say "hey, hwo do we get on to gigs on a Saturday" and it'd be answered pretty quickly.[/quote']

yeah ok cool, thanks. just one thing though please dont make it out like we are retarded we just aint been in this game long enough and we dont know!!

but like i said we greatly fuckin appreciate it :up:

i dont mean dont play the moorings. play the moorings by all means. but dont go down on a Sunday night to play at Open Mic if you're actually expecting to get noticed by doing that. cos you're not going to get noticed there on a Sunday.

Yes but it does sometimes to lead to bigger things, it's a nice safe environment for breaking the band in in front of a crowd, and for perfecting the stage craft.

A lot of bands have played their first few gigs with us on a Sunday.

yeah, i know it can help get usedf to being on stage.

whgat im saying is dont KEEP playing it if you think its gonna get your band noticed and lead on to getting all the more gigs, cos you know as well as I do flash, how many local promoters regularly turn upon a Sunday?

Yes but it does sometimes to lead to bigger things' date=' it's a nice safe environment for breaking the band in in front of a crowd, and for perfecting the stage craft.

A lot of bands have played their first few gigs with us on a Sunday.[/quote']

yeh we apreciate you letting us play on a sunday, how would we go about getting gigs with other bands on saturday night?

Not just us :p

Drop a PM to the following people..

Good for Nothing Collective : kirkt, psydoll, SnowWhite or me

AUBL : ricoAUBL

Dead Anyway : dead anyway

Fudge : The Ghost of Fudge

But as I said in the AUBL forum - pick and choose, just don't accept a date for the sake of it.