aberdeen-music

666 Metal Mayhem 666

please note that the opinions of bry and chi666 are not the opinions of statue of misery. from zero' date=' dez, andy. we do not condone this type of rivalry. if u like rock/metal then come along, if not fair enough. fair does. if u like franz ferdinand dont go, if u like slayer or qotsa then c u there. mr bungle uber alles

i got love for every1.

forget evrything bry and chi say, :rockon::D[/quote']

But who is to say you can't like Franz Ferdinand AND Slayer. Are you going to discriminate against indie people who show up?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But who is to say you can't like Franz Ferdinand AND Slayer. Are you going to discriminate against indie people who show up?

I myseif for one love indie and almost all types of music apart from all that poopy shit.

I only discriminate against people that are DJ Sammy fans!!

Please Note

this post is just a laugh and in anyway should not be takin seriously. Its all shits and giggles

Agiain i apologise for any offence takin by my post!

chewbacca, i hope to see some pictures up here soon. weeping jesus = yes. state of misery = had some good bits but overall not my cup of tea. could have done without a drum solo and some more guitar solos tho. uncut diamond = young and inexperienced. a good effort tho.

chewbacca' date=' i hope to see some pictures up here soon. weeping jesus = yes. state of misery = had some good bits but overall not my cup of tea. could have done without a drum solo and some more guitar solos tho. uncut diamond = young and inexperienced. a good effort tho.[/quote']

Ok coll takin onboard!!

Thank you to every one that came. It was a good night had by all i believe. It would be nice if aberdeen bands got a bit more support though. It really seems like nobody cares for new music here. Well apart from all you guys.

Thanks again for your support!!!

It would be nice if aberdeen bands got a bit more support though. It really seems like nobody cares for new music here.

4 Aberdeen bands got 160 through the door on a Wednesday night, so Aberdeen bands do get support, but only if they're good enough to make the grade. So many people, myself included are sick to the teeth of "new bands" who aren't musically adept - I can forgive lack of stage experience, but the experience in my case is that most "new bands" shouldn't be gigging as most of the time, they don't have more than one or two songs that are worth playing.

People would care "new music" a hell of a lot more if the bands were ready, but sadly, the majority of new bands just aren't, and the ease of getting gigs doesn't help any when it comes to that concept.

And 4.50 for three local bands? come on...is it any wonder people don't show up when you can get far better for cheaper?

4 Aberdeen bands got 160 through the door on a Wednesday night' date=' so Aberdeen bands do get support, but only if they're good enough to make the grade. So many people, myself included are sick to the teeth of "new bands" who aren't musically adept - I can forgive lack of stage experience, but the experience in my case is that most "new bands" shouldn't be gigging as most of the time, they don't have more than one or two songs that are worth playing.

People would care "new music" a hell of a lot more if the bands were ready, but sadly, the majority of new bands just aren't, and the ease of getting gigs doesn't help any when it comes to that concept.

And 4.50 for three local bands? come on...is it any wonder people don't show up when you can get far better for cheaper?[/quote']

yeh i thought that 4.50 for three local bands was a bit over the top, thats pauls fault, not ours, i would have made it alot cheeper than that if i could but i cant.

i undersatnd what your saying about new bands, but you have to give them a chance. i for one have never seen a band go on stage and play "one or to songs", we for one have about 8/9 songs and vairy them ever time we play so its not the same every show we play. as every one has said about our band is that we get better and more confident every gig. i dont know if you yourself is in a band cloud, if you are, than you should really understand how hardit is trying to impress people that have no faith in aberdeen music.

we played ace, got our first mosh pit, and everone seemed to enjoy, so our stuff dose seem to be worth playing, even if its for the minority who like it

chi666

xxx

4.50 for four local bands is a lot of money compared to other gigs - for example, look at the interesting music guys. The people they're getting up here to play don't come cheap, yet their gigs are usually no more than a fiver. To then pay 4.50 for three local bands, you can see why these expensive local gigs aren't well attended. Same with Imagine on Wednesday night, 3 to see four local bands, all of whom are regarded as being the "better" end of things in Aberdeen. Look at it from the eyes of the punter, you have the choice of going to one night out - why pay more when you can see better for less? To give you a bit of comparison, we're doing Black Atom, Risactonia and Element 103 (and possibly someone else, not sure) tonight for 3 - and all of those bands are regarded as being the best metal bands in Aberdeen..why would someone pay 4.50 for considerably less?

4.50 for four local bands is a lot of money compared to other gigs - for example' date=' look at the interesting music guys. The people they're getting up here to play don't come cheap, yet their gigs are usually no more than a fiver. To then pay 4.50 for three local bands, you can see why these expensive local gigs aren't well attended. Same with Imagine on Wednesday night, 3 to see four local bands, all of whom are regarded as being the "better" end of things in Aberdeen. Look at it from the eyes of the punter, you have the choice of going to one night out - why pay more when you can see better for less? To give you a bit of comparison, we're doing Black Atom, Risactonia and Element 103 (and possibly someone else, not sure) tonight for 3 - and all of those bands are regarded as being the best metal bands in Aberdeen..why would someone pay 4.50 for considerably less?[/quote']

like i already said we have no say in how much kef charges. i would be happy to charge 2 for that night to have more people attend. we play at mooring on a sunday all the time just to have people hear us for free. its not our fault, plus black atome now have the choice of how much that charge for there gigs since that have a pretty large following. either way it was an ace night, we all enjoyed ourselfs. if you dont go to other local gig because there not classed as "the better end of aberdeens music" your not really being supportive of aberdeens music. oh and its a fiver a moorings not 3.

4.50 for four local bands is a lot of money compared to other gigs - for example' date=' look at the interesting music guys. The people they're getting up here to play don't come cheap, yet their gigs are usually no more than a fiver. To then pay 4.50 for three local bands, you can see why these expensive local gigs aren't well attended. Same with Imagine on Wednesday night, 3 to see four local bands, all of whom are regarded as being the "better" end of things in Aberdeen. Look at it from the eyes of the punter, you have the choice of going to one night out - why pay more when you can see better for less? To give you a bit of comparison, we're doing Black Atom, Risactonia and Element 103 (and possibly someone else, not sure) tonight for 3 - and all of those bands are regarded as being the best metal bands in Aberdeen..why would someone pay 4.50 for considerably less?[/quote']

I thought someone like you would know this cloud, the bands playing last night didnt decide the price of entry, so if you want to complain, feel free to talk to paul bout it. Also the bands didnt decide the line up, again feel free to talk to paul bout it. Im sorry if you feel that the bands playing were not up to your standard but did you even go so that you could judge the standard of the bands for yourself? Many people have told me that we are a good band and we try hard to make it enjoyable for the people paying to get in, and for ourselfs.

I agree that the three bands playing on sat are the best metal acts in aberdeen (Risac and E106 being my 2 favourite bands in Adeen) and the band playing on friday are not the same standard, but who the fuck are you to call my band considerably less than them?

See, my complaint with bands is that they often accept things like how much the door entry is - but the more experienced bands (in my experience) will always take the time to discuss in advance how much the door entry is - and I've heard of bands (never encountered it myself, but I'd respect them for doing it) refusing to play gigs if the door entry is set too high - especially if they don't stand to gain from it. It's the same with the lineup - I've known bands to point blank say "no" to playing with other bands. I won't mention who, it's not in anyone's interest, but bands in Aberdeen desperately need to be more fussy over who they play with - instead of just playing with anyone because they've been offered it.

No, I didn't go last night to check out the other two bands (Weeping Jesus have potential allright, I know this..) because I don't want to encourage high door charges. I literally have no interest in supporting unreasonable charges - if it means missing bands, so be it.

As for the considerably less comment - fair enough, that was a very poor choice of words, I apologise for having used them. It just surprises me that gigs are put together with bands who aren't strong enough to dominate a show, especially when a high door charge is done as well.

I just think bands need to be more assertive and to stand up for themselves more - why accept a poor situation? I've never been in a band, so I don't know what it's like to be fair - but look at it this way, for what you did last night (4.50 for three relatively unknown bands), you could've hired The Tunnels, charged 2 entry and likely got the same payment if not better.

I'm sorry, I just don't think putting on three relatively unknown and inexperienced bands on a friday night in Aberdeen benefits anyone - especially with a high door charge to boot. It just hurts everyone involved, the promoter, the bands, the audience, everyone :down:

What you said is very true, 4.50 is, in my opinion, to mutch for 3 local bands and the 3 bands couldnt dominate a show but i think/hope everyone who went had a good time.

Being a reletivly new band i am extremely gratefull of any gig opertunity that gets put our way and i dont think is is my place to tell a promoter/club owner etc. what bands to put on and what to charge. Also, i dont belive that if we were to say we thought the door charges were to high that any attention would be payed, but mabye im wrong we hav never complained. Money is not everything, if you paid 2 and had a bad time that must be worse than paying 4 and having a good time?

I will keep in mind what you said tho.

how cloud, can you say other bands are "considerably less", when you have never heard us play?

personaly i think we're the shiznaz. whatever that is.

fair enough, those other bands have been around longer and are better known, but how can we have the chance to become better known if no-one will come see us?

why not have three of your "super awesome coolness five for a pound bands" and one "supershit hyper-expensive band" that way people can enjoy the show for bands like black atom ( :rockon: ) and have a chance to decide for themselves if they like new bands or not. bands dont dictate the price of their shows. not anywhere we've played anyway.

See' date=' my complaint with bands is that they often accept things like how much the door entry is - but the more experienced bands (in my experience) will always take the time to discuss in advance how much the door entry is - and I've heard of bands (never encountered it myself, but I'd respect them for doing it) refusing to play gigs if the door entry is set too high - especially if they don't stand to gain from it. It's the same with the lineup - I've known bands to point blank say "no" to playing with other bands. I won't mention who, it's not in anyone's interest, but bands in Aberdeen desperately need to be more fussy over who they play with - instead of just playing with anyone because they've been offered it.

No, I didn't go last night to check out the other two bands (Weeping Jesus have potential allright, I know this..) because I don't want to encourage high door charges. I literally have no interest in supporting unreasonable charges - if it means missing bands, so be it.

As for the considerably less comment - fair enough, that was a very poor choice of words, I apologise for having used them. It just surprises me that gigs are put together with bands who aren't strong enough to dominate a show, especially when a high door charge is done as well.

I just think bands need to be more assertive and to stand up for themselves more - why accept a poor situation? I've never been in a band, so I don't know what it's like to be fair - but look at it this way, for what you did last night (4.50 for three relatively unknown bands), you could've hired The Tunnels, charged 2 entry and likely got the same payment if not better.

I'm sorry, I just don't think putting on three relatively unknown and inexperienced bands on a friday night in Aberdeen benefits anyone - especially with a high door charge to boot. It just hurts everyone involved, the promoter, the bands, the audience, everyone :down:[/quote']

who the fuck are we to tell a venue owner how much to pay? who the fuck are we to say fuck you to a promoter who wants us to play in there venue? who the FUCK are you to tell us to do that?

we are a new band, paul askes us to play, why would we refuse to play a gig, just coz your cheap?

i have already said about a million times that we have no say in who much paul charges, i thought it was way to high but we rocked the all fuck out of every one who came, thay had a good time and i heard no complaints, tell me, dose that (in your standerds) constitute a dominating a show? for a new band who have only played a couple of show i would say we did a FUCKING AWESOME job.

why dont you pic up that bass you have and show us all how to fucking do it?

right ok well gig has past and the people not bein stingy who payed less than a fuckin fiver

cheers we all (im sure all the bands feel the same) greatly appreciate your fuckin support, rock on!!!

Now lets all get on with our lives and go and see whatever bands you want, regardless of the price.

PEACE!!!!

Bry

See' date=' my complaint with bands is that they often accept things like how much the door entry is - but the more experienced bands (in my experience) will always take the time to discuss in advance how much the door entry is - and I've heard of bands (never encountered it myself, but I'd respect them for doing it) refusing to play gigs if the door entry is set too high - especially if they don't stand to gain from it. It's the same with the lineup - I've known bands to point blank say "no" to playing with other bands. I won't mention who, it's not in anyone's interest, but bands in Aberdeen desperately need to be more fussy over who they play with - instead of just playing with anyone because they've been offered it.

I'm sorry, I just don't think putting on three relatively unknown and inexperienced bands on a friday night in Aberdeen benefits anyone - especially with a high door charge to boot. It just hurts everyone involved, the promoter, the bands, the audience, everyone :down:[/quote']

fair enough cloud ,4.50 maybe was a bit high but the bands on fri in kef may not be well known enough to start tellin venues or promoters who they'll play with and how much to charge as they not may get to play there again or something as we're not "experienced" enough.

but how can you say that know one dominated the show when you didn't come to watch ,you may have been susprised, weeping jesus were awesome,statue of misery(maybe being biast)rocked out in my opinion and uncut diamond although not suited to most of the crowd got up and gave it there best go

we may not be as good or well known as black atom or element 106 but they have been around for a good while and played a hell of a lot of gigs but give new bands a chance to cut there teeth you may even find you like them, whats 4.50? a pack of fags? you could show up and have a laugh or you could even listen to a band you enjoy.

but thats only my opinion.

The thing that interests me is that you guys don't feel as if you have the "right" compared to other bands to have a say in the decision process. Of course you do - one thing I've learnt is that a lot of bands who know what they're doing, aren't afraid to negotiate every fine point of playing regardless of who they'd piss off. If it means you don't get a certain gig opportunity, so be it - there's plenty of potential for gigs in Aberdeen, including ones you promote yourself.

Personally speaking, if a "new" band came up to me and said "I'm concerned about the door price, I don't think people will be happy to pay that to see us", I'd explain why the door price was that (including the figures - why hide it?). Speaking personally, our door prices are set in order to pay all the local bands playing 40 while ensuring that the out of town bands and the venue hire gets paid on top. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's what we aim for.

Any promoter who holds a grudge/kicks up a fuss because you've asked for information about why the door prices are such is having a laugh in my opinion, the way I see it is that every person helping in the gig is entitled to know about every little aspect of the setup if they want to know.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what your band are like or where you are - you're part of the show, you have the right to ask. Don't be afraid to say no to a gig - if you're good enough, people will want you to play, there's no ifs or buts about it. It's a bit harder since Drakes closed, but there's nothing stopping someone booking a band from say Glasgow, putting them on at the Tunnels (or wherever) and getting their band and a couple of others to support. Please, please don't feel as if you have to do everything through a promoter - look at the success Jason from At Long Last had in getting up and promoting his own gig off his own back.

As for you Statue of Misery guys, do you have any sort of recording online at all? I'd be interested to hear..

The thing that interests me is that you guys don't feel as if you have the "right" compared to other bands to have a say in the decision process. Of course you do - one thing I've learnt is that a lot of bands who know what they're doing' date=' aren't afraid to negotiate every fine point of playing regardless of who they'd piss off. If it means you don't get a certain gig opportunity, so be it - there's plenty of potential for gigs in Aberdeen, including ones you promote yourself.

Personally speaking, if a "new" band came up to me and said "I'm concerned about the door price, I don't think people will be happy to pay that to see us", I'd explain why the door price was that (including the figures - why hide it?). Speaking personally, our door prices are set in order to pay all the local bands playing 40 while ensuring that the out of town bands and the venue hire gets paid on top. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's what we aim for.

Any promoter who holds a grudge/kicks up a fuss because you've asked for information about why the door prices are such is having a laugh in my opinion, the way I see it is that every person helping in the gig is entitled to know about every little aspect of the setup if they want to know.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what your band are like or where you are - you're part of the show, you have the right to ask. Don't be afraid to say no to a gig - if you're good enough, people will want you to play, there's no ifs or buts about it. It's a bit harder since Drakes closed, but there's nothing stopping someone booking a band from say Glasgow, putting them on at the Tunnels (or wherever) and getting their band and a couple of others to support. Please, please don't feel as if you have to do everything through a promoter - look at the success Jason from At Long Last had in getting up and promoting his own gig off his own back.

As for you Statue of Misery guys, do you have any sort of recording online at all? I'd be interested to hear..[/quote']

Cloud is completely right, as he knows from having booked bands I work with before I tend to argue every point with him to get the best from everyone and he keeps rebooking us - the fool !!! ;)

If a band doesnt stand up to venue owners and promoters then who will ? Its in the best interests of everone that the punters get the best deal because thats what makes them come back. 4.50 is too much for a local band lineup, considering Ross from Moshulu manages to book very nice touring bands for about that.

It's the perogative of the bands to say they wont play unless their fans are getting a good deal, if more bands did that then ticket prices wouldnt be so unnecessarily high for certain local gigs, it's not like Kef is an amzing venue in reality, the sound is a lot poorer than the Moorngs or the Tunnels - it may be no loss to Kef, but none of the acts I work with will play Kef because the prices are so ridiculously high and the band payment is so low, support local promoters who don't rip off bands, support the good promoters like GFN, RFR, Kabuki, Interesting etc.

Cheers

Stuart

The thing that interests me is that you guys don't feel as if you have the "right" compared to other bands to have a say in the decision process. Of course you do - one thing I've learnt is that a lot of bands who know what they're doing' date=' aren't afraid to negotiate every fine point of playing regardless of who they'd piss off. If it means you don't get a certain gig opportunity, so be it - there's plenty of potential for gigs in Aberdeen, including ones you promote yourself.

As for you Statue of Misery guys, do you have any sort of recording online at all? I'd be interested to hear..[/quote']

Ok maybe we are quite naive in thinking that if we question the Promoter etc then we will be doin ourselve damange regardless of how good we are. Personaly i didnt think that friday at kef didnt sound bad, in my opinion it sounded quite good although maybe not as good as say the moorings.

But i guess well grow as we get more expierence and we appreciate your comments some of us might take them to heart! you obviosly know what your talkin about. (well apart from us being lesser bands as if it is a bad thing but we all need to start somewhere).

Regaeals our music our drummer deals with the internet side of things but i believe we will get some songs up asap. But why dont you watch this space and come along to are next gig and hopefully it wont be to expensive!! lol

Cheers

Bry