aberdeen-music

Go North

Darth Elvis

This event has been happening for years and it never seems to make sense in either the selection of acts or promotion (or lack of it). Bands bypassing the selection process and then there's the general lack of any transprancy of said process. As far as promotion is concerned I always have people (journalists, bands and others) asking me if there's any news as they struggle to find out anything about it as there's no communication until the eve of the gigs.

I just find it depressing that such a great idea seems to flounder so...

Ho hum :gringo:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bands bypassing the selection process and then there's the general lack of any transprancy of said process.

Just to add to your point about the selection process being transparent, At Long Last got offered the chance to participate. Demo? what demo?

Just to add to your point about the selection process being transparent' date=' At Long Last got offered the chance to participate. Demo? what demo?[/quote']

That's cool, being offered the chance to play based solely upon your live performances... both must've been highly impressive. Who offered you this opportunity?

Yeah we are quite looking forward to our 4th gig. Should be alot of fun. I dont however think it would be appropriate for me to reveal who offered us this opportunity, doesnt really make any difference.

The bottom line is we are playing and Stayover arent.

Na na na nana.

Yeah we are quite looking forward to our 4th gig.

good luck with that by the way i can remember when i used to get excited with the fact my 4th gig was coming up but you know then we opened for sugarcult, rooster and steriogramm and you know for some reason it didnt seem that important anymore. :band::D

Yeah we are quite looking forward to our 4th gig. Should be alot of fun. I dont however think it would be appropriate for me to reveal who offered us this opportunity' date=' doesnt really make any difference.[/quote']

No, I don't it doesn't matter whether you submit a demo and go through the selection process or get offered it by Paul Stewart like the X-Certs did two years ago. I don't suppose the same thing happened twice. Hmm....

The bottom line is we are playing and Stayover arent.

See you at the show!

good luck with that by the way i can remember when i used to get excited with the fact my 4th gig was coming up

Well Milner, that may be the case for you, but I still get excited everytime my fourth gig comes up.

considering this event is in aberdeen' date=' there seems to be a lack of aberdeen acts performing.... a bit odd imo[/quote']

I don't see record companies paying for their A&R people to come to Aberdeen for a couple of days to see a lot of Aberdonian bands. I imagine the organisers are keen to keep the sponsorship money flowing in as well, which means there's probably pressure from the sponsors to make it as international as possible.

I'm also pretty sure no-one outside Texas would have heard of SXSW if most of the acts showcased there were from Texas.

I don't see record companies paying for their A&R people to come to Aberdeen for a couple of days to see a lot of Aberdonian bands. I imagine the organisers are keen to keep the sponsorship money flowing in as well' date=' which means there's probably pressure from the sponsors to make it as international as possible.[/quote']

Yeah, I imagine so as well - which makes it all the more confusing as to why bands like Gone2Far are playing when the national/international bands are going to be of a considerably higher standard.

I think it's probably safe to say now that all the local acts playing were invited and didn't have to submit a demo..which stinks :down:

Pretty shocking though none the less, especially after all the preaching done by a certain party organising this about "integrity" and about how he should be trusted - but if you can't be trusted to even be honest about selecting local bands for a festival, well...what can I say?

I hear plans are afoot though, so all isn't lost :)

nice to see some of you have worked out how corrupt the music business is cos its happened on your doorstep. get over it' date=' go along to the gigs get drunk and enjoy the bands......[/quote']

It's a bit over the top even by the morally corrupt standards of the music business though, a band who's played three gigs and didn't submit a demo getting preferential treatment over more experienced bands who did. I suspect there are 4 bands on that list who were "invited", it doesn't take a genius to work out who they are either.

nice to see some of you have worked out how corrupt the music business is cos its happened on your doorstep. get over it' date=' go along to the gigs get drunk and enjoy the bands......[/quote']

and... Just stirring here by the way but... What if most of the bands from Aberdeen are shit and not worth showcasing?!

It is inevitable that there are bands that will play without becoming part of the selection (right or wrong). If you feel your band is worthy of a little attention then go make it happen and stop harping on about how its so unfair that no one ever comes to Aberdeen and when they do, blah blah blah... Its not an exclusively north east event! It takes place here in an attempt to make heads turn a little further north than they normaly would. Get off yer fricken asses and make them notice you for crying out loud!!!!!

If you keep moaning etc then these things will stop happening and our geographically challenged city will be of no interest to anyone south of Cove! Get excited about things and stop crying in the milk! You may grow to like it

J :cheers:

and... Just stirring here by the way but... What if most of the bands from Aberdeen are shit and not worth showcasing?!

It is inevitable that there are bands that will play without becoming part of the selection (right or wrong). If you feel your band is worthy of a little attention then go make it happen and stop harping on about how its so unfair that no one ever comes to Aberdeen and when they do' date=' blah blah blah... Its not an exclusively north east event! It takes place here in an attempt to make heads turn a little further north than they normaly would. Get off yer fricken asses and make them notice you for crying out loud!!!!!

If you keep moaning etc then these things will stop happening and our geographically challenged city will be of no interest to anyone south of Cove! Get excited about things and stop crying in the milk! You may grow to like it

J :cheers:[/quote']

Ha ha ha ha how astute :D

Ha ha ha ha how astute :D

No, it isnt, but ypu would think it is you're so far up the foyers arse I'm surprised you remember what sunlight looks like. The point is certainly not just that Aberdeen bands arent being chosen at all but that bands with no experience are being given places without even applying yet bands who in comparative terms dont know their arse from their elbow. The point was that bands who have gone out their to try and raise Aberdeen's profile have been missed for bands who have never left the cities boundaries. We're not talking about shit bands not being showcased, we're talking about bands who are rated outwith this city getting a chance in their own city. The only Aberdeen act which is included and it might be argued cover tht is MMw, the others are jokes. I would be interested to know how much all the sponsors know about the fact that GoNorth is a means to promote certained favoured bands who bypass the selection process. I'd hope that AUBL and aberdeen-music will remove their endorsements for future years until they prove that all bands chosen are from those submitted, why be associated with a com,petition who takes the piss out of the bands willing to contribute. :down:

I mean, what good does it really do Aberdeen to show 'the professionals' that our music scene is purely a bunch of kids who have only played a handfull of gigs?The Aberdeen scene should be about covering the best not the mates of Dave and the rest of the foyer bunch, it's a joke and it does absolutely nothing for the Aberdeen scene except making it look amateurish. :nono:

Wheres the public face of the foyer in all this?Would he like to comment on why bands are being ased after the date without submitting demoes and why the better acts are being turned down in order for bands who strangely enough have all got promoter/foyer connections. If aberdeen-music is a GoNorth endorser then I think we are entitled to ask for an explanation. :swearing:

El Flosso

It is inevitable that there are bands that will play without becoming part of the selection (right or wrong). If you feel your band is worthy of a little attention then go make it happen and stop harping on about how its so unfair that no one ever comes to Aberdeen and when they do' date=' blah blah blah... Its not an exclusively north east event! It takes place here in an attempt to make heads turn a little further north than they normaly would. Get off yer fricken asses and make them notice you for crying out loud!!!!!

J :cheers:[/quote']

I agree it's inevitable, in such a large event with a lot of artists having to travel some distance to play, that there will be bands who can't make it, leaving the organisers to draft other bands in at short notice. Why not pick a band that submitted a demo though, one that did bother their fricken asses?

I thought you had to be in it to win it.

All those heads turning in a northerly direction will swiftly turn away again with the belief that these bands are the best Aberdeen has to offer (or at least among the best, because surely the home city of the event would put out their best talent).

Personally, if I was an A&R man and I came to Aberdeen and saw several young, inexperienced bands playing an industry showcase I would go away with the impression that that was all Aberdeen had to offer and would think twice before hauling my weary ass up here to see anyone again. It's a bit like inviting someone for a slap up meal and giving them cheese on toast instead.

So if people keep moaning it'll stop, I'd rather have that than have the preconceived notion that we're all a bunch of thick, sheep-shagging farmers who couldn't tell good music if they discovered it gnawing their leg off being reinforced in peoples minds.

Guest Lisa
No' date=' it isnt, but ypu would think it is you're so far up the foyers arse I'm surprised you remember what sunlight looks like. The point is certainly not just that Aberdeen bands arent being chosen at all but that bands with no experience are being given places without even applying yet bands who in comparative terms dont know their arse from their elbow. The point was that bands who have gone out their to try and raise Aberdeen's profile have been missed for bands who have never left the cities boundaries. We're not talking about shit bands not being showcased, we're talking about bands who are rated outwith this city getting a chance in their own city. The only Aberdeen act which is included and it might be argued cover tht is MMw, the others are jokes. I would be interested to know how much all the sponsors know about the fact that GoNorth is a means to promote certained favoured bands who bypass the selection process. I'd hope that AUBL and aberdeen-music will remove their endorsements for future years until they prove that all bands chosen are from those submitted, why be associated with a com,petition who takes the piss out of the bands willing to contribute. :down:

I mean, what good does it really do Aberdeen to show 'the professionals' that our music scene is purely a bunch of kids who have only played a handfull of gigs?The Aberdeen scene should be about covering the best not the mates of Dave and the rest of the foyer bunch, it's a joke and it does absolutely nothing for the Aberdeen scene except making it look amateurish. :nono:

Wheres the public face of the foyer in all this?Would he like to comment on why bands are being ased after the date without submitting demoes and why the better acts are being turned down in order for bands who strangely enough have all got promoter/foyer connections. If aberdeen-music is a GoNorth endorser then I think we are entitled to ask for an explanation. :swearing:

El Flosso[/quote']

There is some good points in this thread.

I dont know about the whole "if youre mates with Dave then you get a spot" thing but otherwise this is a good post.

I agree it's inevitable' date=' in such a large event with a lot of artists having to travel some distance to play, that there will be bands who can't make it, leaving the organisers to draft other bands in at short notice. Why not pick a band that submitted a demo though, one that did bother their fricken asses?

I thought you had to be in it to win it.

All those heads turning in a northerly direction will swiftly turn away again with the belief that these bands are the best Aberdeen has to offer (or at least among the best, because surely the home city of the event would put out their best talent).

Personally, if I was an A&R man and I came to Aberdeen and saw several young, inexperienced bands playing an industry showcase I would go away with the impression that that was all Aberdeen had to offer and would think twice before hauling my weary ass up here to see anyone again. It's a bit like inviting someone for a slap up meal and giving them cheese on toast instead.

So if people keep moaning it'll stop, I'd rather have that than have the preconceived notion that we're all a bunch of thick, sheep-shagging farmers who couldn't tell good music if they discovered it gnawing their leg off being reinforced in peoples minds.[/quote']

Maybe it should stop! To be honest, bands in Aberdeen, not all, need to raise their game a smidge! (I'm playing devils advocate here)... I agree with you completely Ian. I just wish the politics would stay out of it and people put the energy into becoming a great band rather than complaining about everything that doesn't sit correctly with an idealistic vision of the unattainable... Makes for a good debate though and there is never anything wrong with that! Maybe a home grown organised event is something to think a bout, you know, one where promoters and bands all get on for the greater good. Is that unattainable or something to consider?

J

Maybe it should stop! To be honest' date=' bands in Aberdeen, not all, need to raise their game a smidge! (I'm playing devils advocate here)... I agree with you completely Ian. I just wish the politics would stay out of it and people put the energy into becoming a great band rather than complaining about everything that doesn't sit correctly with an idealistic vision of the unattainable... Makes for a good debate though and there is never anything wrong with that! Maybe a home grown organised event is something to think a bout, you know, one where promoters and bands all get on for the greater good. Is that unattainable or something to consider?

J[/quote']

I agree that most bands in Aberdeen need to raise their game but is it any better in other cities? In Aberdeen, we only see the better bands of other cities so perhaps that skews our judgement on our own scene, where we see the good, the bad and the exceedingly ugly.

I don't think we have the right infrastructure in Aberdeen to increase the overall quality of bands, there's not enough professionals and they soon get ground down listening to a seemingly unending stream of sub-par bands.

Plus most Aberdonians think that just because they can play a couple of riffs the prick behind the sound desk who's obviously been round the block a few times doesn't have the experience to dare to tell them what to do as regards their sound.*

I think any band who submitted a demo has a right to have a whinge about it, at least they tried, which makes it galling that a band who didn't try get a slot.

I don't think it's unnattainable to have a homegrown one, I just think that A&R men are not likely to travel so far for so little, which sort of fucks the whole point.

*Ever heard of frequency masking you fucks.

I can see both sides to this argument and Im not going to say anymore than that, but, I dont know, it may be a bit difficult to organise but i think it would be do-able:

If you dont like the way go-north does things maybe it would be worth looking into organising another event and that way what you want to see and to be done should, theoretically, be done.

Thats just the way I see things, theres not a lot going to be achieved by groaning Take action.