aberdeen-music

Stalking Pete Doherty

Rob

On Channel 4 tonight at 10pm -

"When part-time academic and occasional filmmaker Max Carlish chose ex-Libertine Pete Doherty, the UK's most famous heroin addict, as the subject of his comeback TV documentary, it was set to end in tears - and worse. The result is this cautionary tale about a filmmaker who blurred the line between filmmaker and fan."

I wonder if they'll be any footage of the Aberdeen "riot".

Guest Logan

wtf? No one ever deserves to be beaten up. As soon as you start down that path, you can't win, but there are alternatives to fighting.

I thought the program was mildy entertaining. Pete Doherty tho is a complete and utter wanker, and why people like him I have no idea. He seems to believe that drugs are his life, that is fucked up! He's going to get all these kids who worship and idolise him into this because they know no better. Infact, they probably go to his concerts all doped up anyway. The guy Max is even worse. He really does have serious problems. And not just his mental problems.

The story didn't seem to go anywhere, but I guess it did have a conclusion. Although you don't actually know the true story of what happened, you end up not even caring.

The program never told me anything i never knew about pete, the only thing i learned was that the guy max has real issues. i dont believe his story aswell about his tape running out when he finally got the chance to speak to pete, bullshit, something obviously happened there. He tries to say he loves pete and adores him but if you cared about him so much you would never have sold that photos. Just shows that money talks

I thought the programme looked quite interesting, but it was utter tosh. It just had nothing new to offer about Doherty at all, I thought it might be quite insightful but alas, wrong again. I'm surprised Channel 4 bought it, I can only assume they hadn't seen any of it or were greatly lied to. I really had no interest in watching this twat trying to show his friends that he had a relationship with Pete Doherty. Really, who cares about seeing some has been film maker trying to make friends with Doherty?

The program never told me anything i never knew about pete

You just said a minute ago that you now have more respect??? for Pete than ever.

eh?

Both these twats are seriously fucked in the head and how the hell can that guy Max be employed as a "professor" again?

Loops

Yeah he was a fucking cock' date=' definitely deserved to be beating up, i have more respect for pete now than ever. See the bit when the gig was getting out of hand and max was like stop this, stop this, its getting out of control, fucking pussy[/quote']

Yeah, it's really fucking cool to beat people up, isn't it? He deserved it, eh?

Guy had bi-polar disorder & was obviously had problems - but it's ok, he's a fucking pussy so he desrves to get get the shit kicked out of him.

Do you go round care homes & beat the fuck out of the disabled? God, you're fucking hard.

I thought the programme looked quite interesting' date=' but it was utter tosh. It just had nothing new to offer about Doherty at all, I thought it might be quite insightful but alas, wrong again. I'm surprised Channel 4 bought it, I can only assume they hadn't seen any of it or were greatly lied to. I really had no interest in watching this twat trying to show his friends that he had a relationship with Pete Doherty. Really, who cares about seeing some has been film maker trying to make friends with Doherty?[/quote']

The film was less about Doherty & more about celebrity in general - and the effect it has on people. The title said it all - "Stalking Pete Doherty". It was a film about obsession. The guy, Max, was obviosuly deluded but his delusions were only an exagerated version of any fans obsessions - just read some of the posts here to see how Doherty's fans seem to think they have more insight into him & a "connection" compared to others.

You could substitute Doherty for any other minor celebrity & Max for any other obsessed fan & it would give you a pretty good idea of the Big Brother-wanabee famous / Heat generation. Max was deluded into thinking that by hanging out with a star he would become a star - rather than actually having to work at it to achieve fame. The selling of the pictures to the tabloids was just the peak of this guys quest for recognition.

One thing did bother me - what was Doherty & his management allowing this guy access to their every move? Surely discretion woud have been more prudent?

All in all, quite a sad film really that says more about obsessivness & fandom than it could ever hope to say about Doherty.

It's like a junkie version of "King of Comedy", really.

its when they go on about 'junkie chic'

if anyones ever known a junkie it def not chic

sad that some pricks think its cool

Its that rarest of things, me agreeing 100% with Betamax, how anyone can say they admire Pete Docherty is beyond me. The media have built him up so they can voyeuristically watch him fall. A sick indictment of the way things are nowadays possibly.

Cheers

Stuart

Its that rarest of things' date=' me agreeing 100% with Betamax, how anyone can say they admire Pete Docherty is beyond me. The media have built him up so they can voyeuristically watch him fall. A sick indictment of the way things are nowadays possibly.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Like, I said, the whole program says more about the media portrayal of celebrities & peoples worship of them rather than the celebrity themselves. The program didn't really give an insight into Doherty, just into the Max characters state of mind.

I just felt the guy needed help, that he wasn't totally in control of his emotions or his new found obsession. In fact, his obsession with being Pete's friend bordered on the obsessive compulsive & was quite scary when you thought about it.

But, what do I know? It's all just pop psychology on my part & I've no real insight into the guys state of mind. I thought his mother was an psychiatrist or something? She must have been aware of the guy's mindset?

One other thing - the guy dancing about in his bedroom to "electric dreams", & all other manner of bad taste music, was laughable at first then I just felt sorry for him & ultimately a little scared at his obsessiveness.

I'm not sure if the whole thing was brave, stupid, vain, a valid documentry or an ego trip for Max. The film left more questions than answers, I'm just sorry that not everyone can see those questions, as those here who endorse Doherty beating Max up testify.

That was the biggest heap of shite Ive seen in a while' date=' If that's the state of the music and media scene in Britain, you can keep it.[/quote']

What did it say about the music scene though? Outwith Doherty's world & max's obsession it said nothing.

Musician doing drugs isn't new or radical. Seeing it laid bare in brutal fashion on tabloid newspaper or film may be.

Ultimately, the film said nothing about music though.

Hmmmmmmm. Really made you wish you were in a "cult" band, eh? Being part of a bunch of hanger - ongers mindlessly wandering around a dirty london flat like zombies, preaching at the alter of a man freebasing crack cocaine. All while another man with serious mental health problems is made to look like a complete idiot by "ringmaster" Pete. It was sick and I just really hope no kids were watching it. the whole thing made my stomach turn.

Is this what the world of "music" has come to? The Babyshambles "songs" featured were so bad I cannot describe it - Doherty was so rubbished he could not even stand, let alone sing by the end of one of their shows. No wonder the drummer walked offstage.

A sad reflection on the "musician" and the "film - maker" at the end of the day. the former is a good - for nothing junkie, bereft of any talent whatsoever. The latter is clearly a mentaly unstable man who needs better support from his friends, family and doctor.

Channel Four would have been better off broadcasting a showcase for new bands instead of this tabloid - approved shite.

"Pete's letting me in' date=' its not rape, its sex. I'm having sex with Pete, Pete's having sex with me, and we're cuming together".... :nono:[/quote']

They were the words of a very sick man in need of help.

Surely Channel 4 could see the guy was ill and doing himself or Pete "junkie piece of shit" Doherty no help. Having said that, I found it incomprehendable that he has gone back to lecturing media studies - how?

I fucking hate Pete Doherty. It saddens and angers me the little junkie prick has so many "disciples."

I hate the Libertines, but I give mucho respect to Carlos Barat for not having anything to do with Weasel Boy until he is clean. This is the sort of message the media and famous people need to be giving - not showing the good - for - nothing waste of space freebasing crack on prime time Channel Four television.

I really fucking hate Pete Doherty.

I was under the impression this would be about Doherty and not Carlish. From what I saw, it seemed to be an hour of the seriously fucked up Carlish staring down the camera. He clearly had serious problems and I actually ended up feeling really sorry for him when he was trying to get Doherty and his boss to let him hang out with them, and Doherty's boss just told him to fuck off. The fact that he went into a two week depression after that one saga was really sad to watch.

Doherty just came across as a malicious little wanker, a pseudo-intellect who obviously thinks that writing admittedly good lyrics and taking crack makes him a muso - the part where he slagged Carlish off from the stage and dropped the mike stand on him made me cringe - Doherty was essentially the ringleader of the playground bullies, and his fans just the pathetic sidekicks. What attracts people like Kate Moss to people like Doherty is beyond me. Its a shame because with the Libertines he and Carl made some awesome music.

Mike