aberdeen-music

Favourite type of pickups

JME

Just wondering what type of pickups are most popular here? i'm guessing alot of the metal heads use humbuckers, for myself i like super hot texas special single coils for my strats, my 79er's got custom shop ones and boy do they sound nice. :D

Also what are active pickups? i know they are battery powered but thats it.

active pickups, like you said are battery powered (such as the EMG 85's and 81's), the purpose of the battery is to power a small preamp which boosts the pickup signal and gives a super hot output... i believe...

anyway, I love my DiMarzio Evolutions (as used by Steve Vai and Herman Li of Dragonforce), fucking awesome sound and for clean stuff they rock too....

So DiMarzio for me

I like my EMGs.

I put an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck of my Explorer and they sound great together. I'm yet to find something that does what I desire better than an 81 in the bridge. I mean, Gibson pickups are good, as are Seymour Duncan, but they don't do for me what EMG does.

I ordered the EMG SPC control which acts as a variable mid boost switch. It can be used with any pickups but it'll be with the dual 81s in my KH-2. I'll let you know how it seems.

James

i havent experimented with Pickups much myself. But i might get some Evolutions when i get my RG2550 but thats when i have the money for them after buying the guitar.

how much did they cost you doc?

um... if you're buying them over here then its 80 each pickup... however I got mine in the good old USA so they cost me $70 each which is like 35-40 so with shipping around 100 for the 2 !!!!

I can't reccommend them enough, paired with an Ibanez RG they are just perfect!

EMG's are the most sterile sounding pickups in the world, they're great for one thing, but kill your clean sound and totally mask the sound of your guitar. i mean, once you put emg's in your guitar you sound exactly like every other guitar with emg's in it.

dimarzio are ace, but can't cut it at high gain rhythm playing, great for the solo's, not for the riffery, that's why the dimarzio in the bridge of my parker fly is getting swapped for a seymour duncan, but the one in the neck is staying.

my assassin has two humbuckers in it (standard bc rich jobbies)

my tele has a jb humbucker in the bridge, and a strat singlecoil in the neck

the tele sounds baeutiful, the jb is rock itself and has a shedload of output and tone, the singlecoil has a completely different character, half the output and much more open and defined

some days i would like a bit less output from the humbucker, but if i changed it out i know i would miss the output of it...

i am thinking about upgrading the pickups in the assassin, i really like the singlecoil sounds so am considering a sd phat cat in the bridge, its a p90 in a humbucker housing, so hopefully the more open cool sound of a singlecoil, but with a more rocky humbuckery type sound, the guitar looks like a pretty metal widdleplank (even though the neck is pretty fat and nice) so a phat cat would at least give it some chance at more metalley sounds alongside the usuall rock rather than a proper singleoil

i am still trying to work out if i will like the sound of the phat cat in the guitar over a humbucker

i would also like a set of emg's for my old strat copy, mostly because of the fact they make every guitar sound alike, and will cover up any problems with the guitar being made of a cheaper wood

David

Guest Gasss

I ordered a set of Phat cats for my SG. I toyed with the idea of strat pickups or even lipstick tubes but eventually settled for P90s because they would keep in with the guitars intended purpose but without being humbuckers. I hate humbuckers. Whenever I play them I wonder "Hey where did the other half of the frequencies go?".

totally mask the sound of your guitar. i mean, once you put emg's in your guitar you sound exactly like every other guitar with emg's in it.

To an extent yes, but if your ear is focussed enough, that statement is mostly bull.

It is very clearly different sounding having an alder bodied guitar loaded with EMGs compared to a mahogany bodied guitar with EMGs. It is also, IMO, clearly different having an all mahogany guitar with EMGs compared to a mahogany bodied guitar with a rosewood top and EMGs.

they're great for one thing, but kill your clean sound

I love the sound of an EMG 60 for cleans. It's great IMO. I'm curious as to how an EMG 89 will sound with the coil tap on.

they're great for one thing

And that's what I need them for so that's why I use them! :D

James

P90's!!! :D

sp90-1.jpg

If I had any money I'd upgrade my gibsons to seymour duncan hot P90's as I love the dirty tone these can produce (as well as a heavy as an elephants sack sound by giving it more volume on the guitar)

i like them too, dead nice clean or scuzzed up

humbuckers are fine too but theres so many some are bound to sound shit...same for single coils......it totally depends on what you wanna use em for

Just wondering what type of pickups are most popular here? i'm guessing alot of the metal heads use humbuckers' date=' for myself i like super hot texas special single coils for my strats, my 79er's got custom shop ones and boy do they sound nice. :D

Also what are active pickups? i know they are battery powered but thats it.[/quote']

My favourite pickup was a Toyota HiLux it was diesel powered, but it did have two batteries, and certainly qualified as heavy metal.

I'm curious as to how an EMG 89 will sound with the coil tap on.

Well its very very quiet compared to the full humbucker. apart from that it sounds like a single coil EMG, which is what it is as the 89 incorporates a humbucker and single coil in one casing.

Guest DustyDeviada
oh man' date=' crappy old silvertone pickups, the kind jammed in the old lipstick tubes. sound killer through a dimed amp...[/quote']

I hear ya! Mark Knopfler's been playing a Silvertone recently, and what he doesn't know about tone isn't worth knowing. Here's a pic from a show in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_0074.jpg

Well its very very quiet compared to the full humbucker. apart from that it sounds like a single coil EMG' date=' which is what it is as the 89 incorporates a humbucker and single coil in one casing.[/quote']

Yeah I'm aware of that! Guess that's why I'd just need to make sure and have the clean channel volume higher than the distortion channel volume so when I change, it balances it up (this is only if I get an 89 though!).

James