aberdeen-music

last night at the moorings

ben_1903

A good night methinks, thanks to cloud et al for putting on the gig.

We (tears of grace) think we did okay, could have gone better though.

Without wanting to come across like the guy who was slagging off infection - but what was with spikepike driver?? They seemed to spend the whole time slagging off 5 Finger Discount and taking the mick because younger folk came to see them and tears of grace. In between 30 seconds of clanging and screaming each 'song' they cracked old jokes about 'emo'....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie

basically spike's deal is this: they have 10 second one riff songs, basically ripping off the 'hilarious' napalm death thing where each one is like 4 seconds long. This works to their advantage in 2 ways.

1. Crowd has never heard Napalm Death or any grindcore/blast beat based music. Crowd goes 'Man! They're fucking ace! Who would have thought a band would play 5 second songs with really fast drums!' - Spike get to take credit for doing badly what a thousand bands have done already.

2. Crowd goes 'What the fuck - this isn't music, it's just 3 dudes going RARR and playing as fast as they can...' - Spike can just say "Well I wouldn't expect a little kid like you who listens to emo to understand extreme music"

I would imagine if they were slagging the crowd or band off that they were trying to earn 'anti-scene' credibility but the sad fact is that nobody really sees them as anything other than a novelty act (apart from the ones who have heard this shit before in the last 20 years)

Guest Scorge Spike

I thought we played fine last night, though we're going to have to ban baldy from taking absinthe before going on stage, he talks too much. Wasn't paying much attention to the other bands, apologies.

yak yak yak

You're a fucking hypocrite.

Thankfully that thread is enough to show how clueless you are without me having to waste any more time doing so.

basically spike's deal is this: they have 10 second one riff songs' date=' basically ripping off the 'hilarious' napalm death thing where each one is like 4 seconds long. This works to their advantage in 2 ways.

1. Crowd has never heard Napalm Death or any grindcore/blast beat based music. Crowd goes 'Man! They're fucking ace! Who would have thought a band would play 5 second songs with really fast drums!' - Spike get to take credit for doing badly what a thousand bands have done already.

2. Crowd goes 'What the fuck - this isn't music, it's just 3 dudes going RARR and playing as fast as they can...' - Spike can just say "Well I wouldn't expect a little kid like you who listens to emo to understand extreme music"

I would imagine if they were slagging the crowd or band off that they were trying to earn 'anti-scene' credibility but the sad fact is that nobody really sees them as anything other than a novelty act (apart from the ones who have heard this shit before in the last 20 years)[/quote']

Eloquently put young man......

or translated...

I am just writing this to confirm that I am a fucking moron... look at the pure shit spilling from my fingers' date=' all over my keyboard! Shit, I better not press "Submit Repl..." oops too late, now everyone can see what a moron I am! Oh no!!![/quote']

What the hell bands are you in anyway?? 10 Easy Wishes? Doing badly what a thousand other bands have done badly?

Jesus what a load of bollocks you speak.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

shut the fuck up you faggot

stop defending spike pile driver, an appalling act with no originality who play the most coma inducing music ever heard.

you are trying to have a go at me because i slagged off your mate - you fucking asshole, your name is 'doc murray'.

I am in a band called 10 Easy Wishes, we don't play fucking gimmick music. We are a band who play rock music heavily influenced by punk bands, and old surf, pop and blues bands. No fucking gimmicks. I have a lot of other musical projects too, but none of them rely on novelty value.

basically spike's deal is this: they have 10 second one riff songs' date=' basically ripping off the 'hilarious' napalm death thing where each one is like 4 seconds long. This works to their advantage in 2 ways.

I would imagine if they were slagging the crowd or band off that they were trying to earn 'anti-scene' credibility but the sad fact is that nobody really sees them as anything other than a novelty act (apart from the ones who have heard this shit before in the last 20 years)[/quote']

1) I dont care

2) 4 Dudes

3) Not going to drink Absinth again in a hurry, sorry if I offended anyone (probably most people)

4) Were not scared to play our noisy band live

5) Our last song, was deadly serious. 2 Minutes, it wasnt a novelty song and if you were there you would of heard it.

Spike always do a bit of slagging...but it's affectionate, tongue-in-cheek slagging. A more cuddly, warm bunch of fellows would be difficult to find.

I could sense a change in direction, though.......there was sensitivity a plenty last night, and the last song was an epic lasting about 3 minutes, so I've a feeling we should rebrand them 'Prog/Emo' :jester:;(:up:

Meh i just don't think it was really right they they (spike) Went on stage and slated 5 finger discount, and shouted 'grrr' a few times and randomly mauled the hell out of their guitar strings it passed as a gig. They also offended alot of folk for no reason what-so-ever - one girl said 'hi' to (i think) the bassist and he said words to the effective of "fancy a fuck?"

Also...emo is better than spikepile driver is. At least its got more than two chords in it and you can make out the words. And jow does spike = 'Extreme music' - that wasn't extreme - it was obscene

Why doesn't everyone ont the planet whos on the dole just go 'ARGHGHGHHHHHHHHHH I FUCKNIG HATE FUCKING EMO KIIIIIDS and that punk/pop band is gay go fuck michael jackson' and make a hundred quid a gig or whatever...

I can understand if they don't like 'emo'....but its a tad lame making a 'band' that spew it all over the stage being not-funny while they chug away at a two string bass.

No idea what the younger folk did to upset them either? I'm sure it was really shit if their mates went to see them play a gig when they were 17.

:cheers:

:cheers:

Ben_1903 - *ahem careful* the bass player with spike is kirkt who is also one of the Good For Nothing Collective, the promoters that booked you LOL. I can vouch that he would never say "Fancy a fuck?" to anyone. I'm pretty sure it was one of the other guys all of whom are more than capable of gross miscalculation when interacting with the opposite sex.

Although we admit 14-17 year olds to gigs the content remains striclty 'Certificate 18'. Underagers should expect to endure a bit of a hard time, it's a right of passage that the older crowd have already transversed. It serves to thicken the skin, loosen the top button, and ultimately preserve our famous 'anything goes atmosphere'. Don't take anyone seriously.

Most of the older crowd are intoxicated out of their minds on some of the most potent alcohol on this planet. This makes them totally uninhibited and their behaviour will become spontaneous and often inappropriate. That's why we turn the lights down... so that it's too dark to notice people making complete tits of themselves. To everyone that's err minging drunk the whole Friday/Saturday night experience takes on a strange multicoloured dimly lit dreamlike quality where they are not entirely in control of their actions. Fortunately the next day it's hard to, and better not to, remember much about it. But it sure felt good at the time.

The Moorings is a place where adults behave like children LMAO! When I encounter someone conducting themself with any degree of maturity then I know they are underage!!! I remember my first time - here I was about to enter this infamous den of eniquity. Inside it would be tough but with a gritty sophistication. I would meet interesting people with a certain raw street honed intelligence...

...instead what I found was reminiscent of a very dark and sticky nursey school :)

I said nothing of the sort to any girl. Anyone who knows me' date=' knows I'm not the type of person to say anything like that. Get your facts right in future.[/quote']

Sorry kirk, i did say i only thought it was you, it must have been one of the others; the girl just said it was the bassist.

i remember once i was speaking to kirt in the moorings and he bought me a drink next thing i woke up round the back' date=' was a strange night i was walking like john wayne for about a week after..........[/quote']

Best to eat a really hot curry before taking 'a trip out back'. Just think of it as an insurance policy. Mike and Ally both know to check a persons breath beforehand. Only Simon would risk getting his mucus membrane contaminated with chilli.

this is turning into quite a fine thread, no?

five finger discount = awesome as usual. the new song is awesome :D

tears of grace; not really my thing but they have improved from when i last saw them at kef. the singer is a bit static though (constructive criticism)

state of affairs; i liked them. i was quite drunk. so i danced.

spike pile driver; i got called kelly fucking osbourne by one of them when hog mentioned me. they amused me. yep

all in all a pretty good night