aberdeen-music

Autistic Kid writes a book!

Birdman

"This machines' going to control immigration?! It looks like an autistic kid has done the programming....it lacks sensitivity, personality and it'll probably let the w*gs in" - Prince Phillip 1984

This isn't the case anymore though is it! Apparently an autistic person has actually written a book.

43722.jpg

Note: Apparently, used liberally because I find NO evidence that this guy, Mark Haddon, is Autistic (or whatever its brotherly disorder is called)

Does anyone else have information on this guys medical disorder?

SubNote: This book is actually shit!

(Not Birdman)

yeah i worked in Grampian Autistic society with autistic kids.

the kid in this book has Asperger's Syndrome, a subcategory of Autistic Spectrum disorder. Every 2nd sunday id be with a whole group of kids who acted in ways like this boy, so i found it a really good read and totally saw where he was coming from.

Kids would get angry but wouldnt know why they felt that way, found it difficult to express how they felt making social situations complicated, they find change very difficult and you have to tell them exactly whats going to happen, they usually have normal intelligence and language development, though one thing above all, each child is very different and to a great extent you cannot categorize them but have to learn how each individual acts.

As always, theres a lot more to it and doctors + researchers are still carrying out lots of research to try to find out more about ASD, since really, they know very little and dont have a clue why it happens.

Mark haddon wasnt autistic i dont think, but he researched it really well and i think its a bit narrow minded of you to consider this book so 'shit' when

a) it isnt and

b) you clearly dont have a clue so wouldnt understand the combined humour/seriousness!

and you're behind the times, that book was getting all its hype/whitbred award around 2 years ago

'Outstanding - A stunningly good read'

Er.... Would it be such a stunningly good read if fucking Dan Brown came up with it?

Just because the kid has autism (or whatever) doesn't mean you have to immediately say the book is outstanding! If it's absolute tripe, say it is.

I bet they didn't even bother reading the fucking thing!

Guest tv tanned
Er.... Would it be such a stunningly good read if fucking Dan Brown came up with it?

Just because the kid has autism (or whatever) doesn't mean you have to immediately say the book is outstanding! If it's absolute tripe' date=' say it is.

I bet they didn't even bother reading the fucking thing![/quote']

ok now I see melonpie's post....

So it's just some dude who researched autism writing a book? fair go... still not going to read it

Why not read it so you can form an opinion on it, and find out if it really is outstanding? How can you sling mud at people for calling a book 'outstanding' when you have no frame of reference yourself?

its not even a hard read, the letters are HUGE

and anway, its a harrowing murder mystery....and the detective is onto it yessir :D

anyway, its not about him having autism, its a story of a boy WITH it, and how he deals with certain events in his life, ie he thinks his mum is dead, but really she ran off with another guy!

someone murdered a dog and hes out to find the murderer

dadadum