aberdeen-music

METALLICA and BOB ROCK part ways.

PRESS RELEASE

APRIL 1, 2005

METALLICA, the Grammy-award winning heavy metal band that just added a documentary to their roster of accomplishments, have announced that they are parting ways with long-time Canadian producer Bob Rock.

"As grateful as we are to Bob for all he's done for us since 1991, we feel it's time to move on," said drummer and spokesman for the band Lars Ulrich.

Metallica felt the need to reassure fans that despite the timing, this was not an April Fool's gag.

"Kirk Hammett [guitarist], was the one who mentioned, people are going to think this is an April Fool's joke," said James Hetfield, singer/guitarist. "But we can assure you, it was just a coincidence. We've been thinking about this for some time now, and it's just the way things have panned out."

Metallica united with Bob Rock for the 1991 self-titled album, universally called "The Black Album". It was a move that led to many long-time fans turning their backs on the band, while the better sound, simpler song structures and greater commercial acceptance led to a generation of younger fans who had never heard Metallica propelled the foursome to international dominance.

The subsequent tour for The Black Album lasted three years. Rock has since worked with Metallica on every studio release, leading many fans and music critics to believe he is single handedly responsible for the commercialization and "selling out" of the band.

Under Rock's tutleage, the band have released The Black Album, Load, Reload, Garage Inc, S&M and most recently St. Anger.

Rock, who also had production credits for Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, was unavailable for comment. Metallica have not speculated on who, if anyone, would be taking over as producer, although many fans are hopeful that Flemming Rasmunssen, who was responsible for the Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All releases, will return to the studio to work with the group.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not on the website, it's not on the news pages on Google...

There is however (from March 21st)

METALLICA fans have launched a new campaign, urging members of the band to ditch their longtime producer BOB ROCK.

The fans have set up an online petition in their efforts to have Rock removed from the band's future work, citing the music man as a mismatch with the metal veterans.

A portion of the petition reads, "We, the longtime loyal fans and friends of Metallica and their music... know it will be a hard thing to do, but we feel it is time to sever your working relationship with Bob Rock.

"Don't get us wrong, some of us like a few (very few) contributions Bob Rock has made to Metallica. Unfortunately one thing we can all agree on is nothing has been the same since he joined the ranks as longtime Metallica producer.

"We are not criticizing Bob Rock on his technical skills as he has mastered his sound. We just feel that his contributions to help craft a Metallica song are quite wrong and have been getting worse as time goes on...

"We are excited to hear the next studio album with the addition of masterful bassist ROBERT TRUJILLO... All we ask is you take our suggestion seriously for the sake of the band and your fans. Please end your working relationship with Bob Rock as producer and let's enter into a new phase for Metallica."

It's not on the website' date=' it's not on the news pages on Google...

There is however (from March 21st)

[i']METALLICA fans have launched a new campaign, urging members of the band to ditch their longtime producer BOB ROCK.

The fans have set up an online petition in their efforts to have Rock removed from the band's future work, citing the music man as a mismatch with the metal veterans.

A portion of the petition reads, "We, the longtime loyal fans and friends of Metallica and their music... know it will be a hard thing to do, but we feel it is time to sever your working relationship with Bob Rock.

"Don't get us wrong, some of us like a few (very few) contributions Bob Rock has made to Metallica. Unfortunately one thing we can all agree on is nothing has been the same since he joined the ranks as longtime Metallica producer.

"We are not criticizing Bob Rock on his technical skills as he has mastered his sound. We just feel that his contributions to help craft a Metallica song are quite wrong and have been getting worse as time goes on...

"We are excited to hear the next studio album with the addition of masterful bassist ROBERT TRUJILLO... All we ask is you take our suggestion seriously for the sake of the band and your fans. Please end your working relationship with Bob Rock as producer and let's enter into a new phase for Metallica."

This isn't exactly the same thing as was originally posted, the original post had Lars saying they had got rid of Bob Rock. :nono:

Nah its about time. The Black Album was a masterpiece of production but everything after that was a letdown or just shit. 'Load', 'Reload', 'Garage Inc.' and especially 'St Anger' were all very very poor. Out of five consecutivealbums only one was good. Now as much as this is Metallica's fault, the producer will definitely have had a lot to do with it. Compare that to the trio of 'Ride The Lightning', 'Master of Puppets' and '...And Justice For All'. All far better than the most recent four. Bring in Mutt Lange or the original 'Tallica producer (Ramussen or whatever hes called) and lets get back to the fucking rock!

Mike :rockon:

lars might get his snare drum back now ;)

I do believe that was Lars' own idea. Whats with all the Bob Rock bashing? Have you NOT HEARD THE BLACK ALBUM!? The production is amazing and so too is the playing. If you don't like St Anger's songs then that's not his fault. Sure the production is a little different but it's still an album full of fucking ace riffs...seriously...if you have a band play the opening and main riff from SKOM yourself...it's a beast!

I think people have more of a problem with the songs rather than Bob Rock it doesn't matter who produced Load a lot of "die hard" fans will never like the songs. I for one think both are amazing.

Maybe St Anger didn't get a good reception because as far as sound goes the Metal community can be pretty stuck in its own ways?

The drum sound on AJFA is a bit over the top and there's no bass - bloody BOB ROCK :swearing:

Oh wait a minute Bob Rock didn't produce that Ramussen did, :O

Garage Inc - Hmm 2 discs of cover versions, the songs were meant to sound raw so no long production schedules there and again not all the production was handled by Bob Rock.

It also features the long out of print Garage Days Revisited ep from 1987 (pre Bob Rock) so an essential purchase :up:

Metallica have been recording for years, so they should know what they want there albums to sound like, if they didn't like what they heard they wouldn't release it - so if its anyones fault its them.

I will agree that the first 4 Metallica albums are better thant the last 4 ( Garage inc & S&M dont count), however thats nothing to do with production but the songs themselves.

I would imagine considering the ages of the people on this board most peoples introduction to Metallica would be through the Bob Rock produced Black Album anyway and complaints only arise after hearing the older albums :D

Terry Date to produce 'Tallica. Or Colin Richardson. Or Simon Effemy. Or Devin!

Actually' date=' the potential for greatness is so huge, it seems silly for Metallica to limit themselves....[/quote']

You mentioned Devin!!!!!!!!! Yehaww. Although I dont know if hes in Metallicas good books. Hetfield didnt like Newstead and Devin collaborating

No dude' date=' Metallica made an arse of St Anger.

So what's the deal? Is he out or not?[/quote']

I dont like the sound, but I like some of the songs. Thought St Anger the song was a poor tune compared to a lot of their other singles. I suppose St Anger is one of those albums that certainly got the metal fans debating

I do believe that was Lars' own idea. Whats with all the Bob Rock bashing? Have you NOT HEARD THE BLACK ALBUM!? The production is amazing and so too is the playing. If you don't like St Anger's songs then that's not his fault. Sure the production is a little different but it's still an album full of fucking ace riffs...seriously...if you have a band play the opening and main riff from SKOM yourself...it's a beast!

I think people have more of a problem with the songs rather than Bob Rock it doesn't matter who produced Load a lot of "die hard" fans will never like the songs. I for one think both are amazing.

Maybe St Anger didn't get a good reception because as far as sound goes the Metal community can be pretty stuck in its own ways?

i didnt say anything about not liking the album. its just i like drums as opposed to the iid from a foxes biscuit selection tin