aberdeen-music

The Pope - I believe his time aint long

Guest Zeenat Aman

I think its terribly sad that people are being so disrespectful towards the Pope's death. I'm not religious, I don't agree with alot of what the Catholic church stands for but I agree with Dave; the Pope did alot for the World and he stood up for democracy and helped people of other religions.

I think its terrible that you can belittle a man who did so much for the World.

With regard to contraception and HIV/AIDs, thats just the view of the church but in addition its also the view of ALOT of older people. Yes, its not right and as a leader he could have acted differently but thats just the church. Perhaps the new Pope will be slightly more modern on such issues.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its terribly sad that people are being so disrespectful towards the Pope's death. I'm not religious' date=' I don't agree with alot of what the Catholic church stands for but I agree with Dave; the Pope did alot for the World and he stood up for democracy and helped people of other religions.

I think its terrible that you can belittle a man who did so much for the World.

With regard to contraception and HIV/AIDs, thats just the view of the church but in addition its also the view of ALOT of older people. Yes, its not right and as a leader he could have acted differently but thats just the church. Perhaps the new Pope will be slightly more modern on such issues.[/quote']

I completely agree. I'm not Catholic, I don't believe in God, but he was a good man who regardless of his views on AIDS and contraception - which is the general views of his religion, not just him on his own - did alot of a good for the world.

How long before they get a new one?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Regardless of what anyone here thinks of the pope' date=' he was clearly not an evil man and clearly made of better stuff than the majority of human beings to have ever lived and even then you should show some respect towards people of the catholic faith (which i am not ashamed to admit i am). It sickens me the way it will always be okay for people to be totally disrespectful to catholics.[/quote']

Perhaps not evil, but I reckon that a homophobic, pro-life bigot is a fucking nasty bastard and one less of them in the world is a cause for celebration. And as for respect, that has to be earned. As with all religions, Catholicism disgusts me and I do not respect religions because they preach hatred and intolerance. If your religion is prejudiced towards homosexuals and people who choose to have abortions then you can expect some hatred back. If a woman decides on abortion, it's got fuck all to do with anyone but herself. What about HER life, the one that's actually well under way?

And before you say that you have the right to follow whatever faith you choose, of course that's the case. It is also the case that I can tear it to shreds if I choose to. Maybe all this is a bit harsh, but I'm fed up of people who think their faith should remain unchallengeable.

If i go about fucking random chicks....no one will ever know....and the vatican would cover it up anyway!

As for drinking....i'll just become a red wine addict and say its the blood of christ....

Oh the possibilities!

"Hey baby. I'm the motherfucking pope that's right!"

"Are you drinking alcohol my grace?!"

"Nah nah nah. It'sH just the blood of our saviour."

"Call the cops...I don't think this guy is pope material..."

Perhaps not evil' date=' but I reckon that a homophobic, pro-life bigot is a fucking nasty bastard and one less of them in the world is a cause for celebration. And as for respect, that has to be earned. As with all religions, Catholicism disgusts me and I do not respect religions because they preach hatred and intolerance. [b']If your religion is prejudiced towards homosexuals and people who choose to have abortions then you can expect some hatred back. If a woman decides on abortion, it's got fuck all to do with anyone but herself. What about HER life, the one that's actually well under way?

And before you say that you have the right to follow whatever faith you choose, of course that's the case. It is also the case that I can tear it to shreds if I choose to. Maybe all this is a bit harsh, but I'm fed up of people who think their faith should remain unchallengeable.

But the point is that at this time people should show respect for those of the Catholic faith by not making childish and offensive comments about the Pope's death or make flippant remarks about who his predecessor should be. I'm not suggesting that the religion is in anyway unchallengable but this thread is not about the catholic faith as such but rather about the saddening event that is the pope's death. I'm all for people challenging religious teachings but that is not what this thread is about and it was stupid comments made about his name and the like which i personally took offence to rather than any comments about the catholic faith in general. You wann try rip other people beliefs to shreds then start a seperate thread to do so. And i think it's a bit hypocritical the way you think you should combat hatred with hatred.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
But the point is that at this time people should show respect for those of the Catholic faith by not making childish and offensive comments about the Pope's death or make flippant remarks about who his predecessor should be. I'm not suggesting that the religion is in anyway unchallengable but this thread is not about the catholic faith as such but rather about the saddening event that is the pope's death. I'm all for people challenging religious teachings but that is not what this thread is about and it was stupid comments made about his name and the like which i personally took offence to rather than any comments about the catholic faith in general. You wann try rip other people beliefs to shreds then start a seperate thread to do so. And i think it's a bit hypocritical the way you think you should combat hatred with hatred.

I take you on, it has gone off topic a bit, but find me a thread that doesn't! I believe that after the requisite mourning spell, the next Pope is decided by the Cardinals? So, do they all vote in a secret ballot? Genuine curiosity, I'm not ripping here.

The thing about your post that got me going was when you said Catholicism is more criticised than other religions. Given the rampant Islamophobia today, I'll have to disagree with you there. Anyway, I don't see why religion shouldn't be criticised and I see nothing wrong with challenging any kind of faith. To me, religion does far more harm than good but I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye on religion.

Combatting hatred with hatred? Well, a bit strong that, but I don't see why the intolerant should be tolerated uncritically. It's to be expected when intolerance is preached, if you give it you should expect to take it. There is one thing I agree with you on, this silly guessing-game as to who the next pope will be. So, I repeat, how do they decide? I figure you'll know your stuff on this.

Oh, another thing, and this is a serious question. Is Catholicism opposed to all forms of birth control, such as vasectomies?

Guest AmbientMood

I read somewhere (daily star) that one of the possible candidates is already 72. What the hell is the point in getting one who's almost in the grave anyway? Must've bribed himself through the medical..

I also read somewhere that there are 1.1 billion catholics in the world, which I find a very hard statistic to believe.

I think I should probably point out that I'm not launching a childish attack on the pope as has been said, but am merely stating that I disagree with many of his policies and those of the Catholic Church as a whole.

However, I can't but agree that he has in fact done some great things in his time; standing up to totalitarianism and suchlike.

Not trying to destroy anyone else's beliefs, not launching personal attacks, just stating my opinion.

Although, it really does make me sick that religious people can lay into atheists, agnostics and even other faiths, but as soon as I make a criticism of somebody's faith, without so much as telling them they will be punished for all eternity as I am regularly informed will happen to me, then it is completely unacceptable.

Bollocks if you ask me. Which I'm sure you don't.

I take you on' date=' it has gone off topic a bit, but find me a thread that doesn't! I believe that after the requisite mourning spell, the next Pope is decided by the Cardinals? So, do they all vote in a secret ballot? Genuine curiosity, I'm not ripping here.

The thing about your post that got me going was when you said Catholicism is more criticised than other religions. Given the rampant Islamophobia today, I'll have to disagree with you there. Anyway, I don't see why religion shouldn't be criticised and I see nothing wrong with challenging any kind of faith. To me, religion does far more harm than good but I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye on religion.

Combatting hatred with hatred? Well, a bit strong that, but I don't see why the intolerant should be tolerated uncritically. It's to be expected when intolerance is preached, if you give it you should expect to take it. There is one thing I agree with you on, this silly guessing-game as to who the next pope will be. So, I repeat, how do they decide? I figure you'll know your stuff on this.

Oh, another thing, and this is a serious question. Is Catholicism opposed to all forms of birth control, such as vasectomies?[/quote']

To be honest i don't know the technical ins and outs of the process of electing a new pope but you'll surely find it easily in a newspaper or new website. It's not exactly a transparent method of election as far as i know, but it's not for the mob to decide who the pope should be. And yes the church is i believe opposed to all forms of birth control. As for what you said about Islamophobia, that seems a valid but but i guess what i'm getting at is that people who think they are liberal and tolerant are often very highly critical of catholicism where as they are scared to say anything they see wrong with other religions so as to not seem bigoted or intolerant.