aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Guest bluesxman
Dreamtime was cool, but with subsequent releases the band began to explore more traditional rock territory in place of their less commercial and more interesting and inventive positive punk beginnings.

Were you aware of Ian Astbury's adoration of Crass and of his involvement in the anarcho-punk community? About Crass he says "They lived a communal lifestyle and their motto was anarchy, love, and peace... And after the show they would share whatever they had - food, clothes, everything - with the audience, then they'd move on. They were a big influence on me."

A part of a then growing scene/community called positive punk - one which shared many of the same values and beliefs so important to Crass and others, Southern Death Cult, Sex Gang Children, and more spearheaded a then new and vibrant music community. So yes, do check out Richard North's piece if you can.

For more info on Blood and Roses visit Blood and Roses: Necromantra - deathrock . com

And The Danse Society at Heaven is waiting, a tribute to THE DANSE SOCIETY

Plus Sex Gang Children at www.sexgangchildren :: the official website

And... if folks would like to check out Southern Death Cult, then they can do so here:

The Southern Death Cult

I'd heard of the term 'positive punk', never knew about Astbury's interests in Crass...not sure that he really lived out the beliefs once he hit it big with the Cult, from what I know he slipped into a pretty old path to rock and roll excess in a pretty unoriginal manner!

Guest bluesxman

Lonesome Organist ~ Collector Of Cactus Echo Bags

Cinematic Orchestra ~ Man With A Movie Camera

Tinariwen ~ Amassakoul

Air ~ Pocket Symphony

Beat Happening ~ You Turn Me On

Guest bluesxman
Interpol ~ Our Love to Admire ...Given it a couple of listens and it is alright, I think it is a grower though.

Big Star ~ Third/Sister Lovers

Clutch ~ Clutch

I think it's a perfectly good album, certainly not bad by any means. They've just expanded their sound somewhat. Would be a bit dull to get countless retreads of the first album.....did you buy Clutch after seeing Triggerman by any chance? Dave O lent me their stuff after that gig, they are well good....

I think it's a perfectly good album, certainly not bad by any means. They've just expanded their sound somewhat. Would be a bit dull to get countless retreads of the first album.....did you buy Clutch after seeing Triggerman by any chance? Dave O lent me their stuff after that gig, they are well good....

My first impression of the new Interpol was that it just sounded like Interpol. I'm going to give it a few more tries, as like I said before, I think it will be a grower. I would say my initial thought is wrong, as like you said their sound has expanded somewhat.

I bought the Clutch album as it was cheap, Andrew Ross who gives me a lift in has been playing them to me for over a year, but I thought I should go and actually add one of their albums to my collection...

If anything I thinks it's regressive apart from the last two tracks, being more dense sounding and thus reminisecent of TOTBL, but lacking the memorable songs. On Antics they succeeded by being more economic with melody, but OLTA doesn't present anything new. Admittedly I ain't listened to it many times so it could be a grower as Jan says.

Guest Steven Dedalus
The Cult era circa 'Love' was my entry point, which back tracked to 'Dreamtime' then the Southern Death Cult and Death Cult years, agree that Death Cult's stuff is great. I do have a soft spot for the 'Electric' album, 'Sonic Temple' had sporadic good moments and I liked the self-titled album. 'Ceremony' however was very bad....will check out the other stuff, cheers.

I knew we were always destined to be in the same band. Got 'Love' for my 17th birthday and worked my way back. Then got the rest and never listened to them, except to laugh at the guitar solos.

For a long time, my pride and joy was a weird little 7" single of 'Resurrection Joe' that I picked up at a record fair. Good times, although it led me towards the Mission and the Sisters of Mercy. Which was possibly not so good a move.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Good times, although it led me towards the Mission and the Sisters of Mercy. Which was possibly not so good a move.

Actually, forget that, the Sisters of Mercy were brilliant as well.

I'd heard of the term 'positive punk', never knew about Astbury's interests in Crass...not sure that he really lived out the beliefs once he hit it big with the Cult, from what I know he slipped into a pretty old path to rock and roll excess in a pretty unoriginal manner!

Indeed. They'd slimmed down their name too in a bid for mainstream success and so as to appear more palatable to a wider audience. Signaled where the band was heading I think.

Guest bluesxman
For a long time, my pride and joy was a weird little 7" single of 'Resurrection Joe' that I picked up at a record fair. Good times, although it led me towards the Mission and the Sisters of Mercy. Which was possibly not so good a move.

Resurrection Joe is one of their best songs....Sun King on Sonic Temple is amazing in a gonzo metal kinda way in similar vein to the whole Electric album....

Guest bluesxman
Yeah! That YMG collection is sweet. Shame the presentation is a bit shitty. Still, worth it for the Peel sessions.

Yeah, the booklet is good with loads of info, but the packaging is pretty cheap and crappy. I now have the old CD version of the album to get rid of....