aberdeen-music

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

allstardawn

I hate your "oh the hype' date=' no they're too hyped, oh nooo, I can't listen to them because NME loves them" attitude. I bet you secretly love them[/quote']

Cowboy Dan's Listening To:

Beep Beep, Death Cab, Miles Davis, Rilo Kiley, Thelonious Monk, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Desaparecidos, DNTEL, Pavement, Bright Eyes, The Unicorns, The Arcade Fire, Interpol

I think that kinda shits on your summation of his attitude...

I hate your "oh the hype' date=' no they're too hyped, oh nooo, I can't listen to them because NME loves them" attitude[/quote']
Beep Beep' date=' Death Cab, Miles Davis, Rilo Kiley, Thelonious Monk, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Desaparecidos, DNTEL, Pavement, Bright Eyes, The Unicorns, The Arcade Fire, Interpol[/quote']

My point was more that the NME loves almost all of those artists. Besides he listens to other things - I've seen him in the Moorings listening to The Killers and Manowar :laughing:

NME's only any use for reviews. After you've read it' date=' stick it in a drawer, dig it out after a couple of years and have a good old bellylaugh at how wrong they were about almost everything.

Cooper Temple Clause...what were we thinking in 2003...?

Anyway, Bloc Party; I've had most of the tracks for months now, and listening to the finished article, I must say my opinion hasn't improved greatly. It's very deriviative of Gang of Four and The Modern Lovers (there's even a song called This Modern Love, joining the pantheon of Richman influenced tracks by The Strokes, The Jam, Yeah Yeah Yeahs et al), and it just sounds soulless, joyless and formulaic to these ears.

I get the feeling this album could be the beginning of the end for the indie resurgence. It won't appeal to the casual record buyer in the same way Franz Ferdinand did. There's a marked indifference when I play Bloc Party songs to a dancefloor these days. Chin strokers appreciate it, and of course those who genuinely love the band will dance, but there's no uniting force behind it that made the Strokes, Franz and The Killers universally popular.[/quote']

I generally disagree with you i'm afraid. Although they won't "do a Franz" i agree. And don't diss the Coopers. Kick Up the Flames...is an extremely underrated album.

• 2 weeks later...

just invested in said album from my new favourite record shop tescos and i have to say its pretty impressive stuff, i'm thinking franz ferdinand with an extra trick or two up their sleeve.

funny thing is i also bought the NME for the first time in ages and see they're the darlings of said mag, oh well......