aberdeen-music

bass multi effect

YETI

sorry but that went right over mi head.. what do thay do? i dont want any distorsion, cant stand it on the bass. id like a flanger, compressor and an eq so i can boost up volume during the song. ive been sugested a zoom 206II or was 506II cant really remember

It's all well and good tuning by ear but it's not the easiest thing to do live...people do not like to you hear you tuning your guitar between songs and trying to do it quitely in a crowded venue doesn't work.

Much better to mute the signal into a tuner and get it done accurately and quickly. Plus if there's 3 of you playing strings then your all going to want to be in tune together...again with as little noise as possible...if you all of you use tuners you don't have to play a note to know your all at pitch.

Obviously tuning by ear is something worth learning to do but everyone uses tuners...it elminates any potential problems/annonying noise...

well said tav. to go back to the single effect combination... it will get a bit expencive and quite difficult to carry around... admitedly ive seen planks of wood used but still... but i know that im gonna buy the korg 18 from bruce millers and go back to what i was using... sad old me

Originally posted by Tav:

It's all well and good tuning by ear but it's not the easiest thing to do live...people do not like to you hear you tuning your guitar between songs and trying to do it quitely in a crowded venue doesn't work.

Much better to mute the signal into a tuner and get it done accurately and quickly. Plus if there's 3 of you playing strings then your all going to want to be in tune together...again with as little noise as possible...if you all of you use tuners you don't have to play a note to know your all at pitch.

Obviously tuning by ear is something worth learning to do but everyone uses tuners...it elminates any potential problems/annonying noise...

Yeah, I suppose been able to tune silently is a good thing. But it doesn't take me long to tune my bass as its never really badly out of tune, so a quick play of each string at a low volume is enough for me to tell if its in tune or not, and as soon as I play the string if its out I will get it to its correct pitch. I suppose it helps that I have kinda good pitch.

Yeah, I suppose a quick little play isn't so bass...especially on bass since it's qutie a stable instrument with the fixed bridge...guitars with trem's can pose problems when it comes to stability...so might take longer to get back to pitch...

Tuning by harmonics is a nice way to do it loud...or like Tommy Emmanuel he uses a little riff type thing that incorporates tuning with harmonics in it and is a nice little touch instead of the usual....DING -DUMMMM DING - DUMMMM DING-DING

on a for strings bass is cool but when you gotta tune 7 is a bit of a problem specially when the low a is so low that you canna hear the waves.

the only problem with tuning wityh harmonics is that you arent really tuning... try it on a guitar and youll see what i mean, the perfect fifth of harmonics does not fit with the short octave of modern tuning... its a frequency thing

Originally posted by YETI:

well said tav. to go back to the single effect combination... it will get a bit expencive and quite difficult to carry around... admitedly ive seen planks of wood used but still... but i know that im gonna buy the korg 18 from bruce millers and go back to what i was using... sad old me

It doesn't have to be expensive, or difficult to carry around. I built my pedal board from a piece od laminate flooring covered in stickyback velcro. In all the total cost was about 50(power block, velcro flight case and patch leads), but now I have a set up that you can lift straight out of the case, plug in and play. No messing around setting up stuff. The dials on the pedals never get changed as the don't get knocked, and they are well protected for when travelling.

Who says you even need to buy all your effects pedals...alot of the are only some simple electronic components arranged in different way to alter the signal...I bet I could make the majority of distortion pedals for about 2/3 if that...obviously you need cicuit diagrams <got> the components <readily available> and a soldering iron...then some sort of container to mounrt it in...might not look as cool but at 3 instead of 60 it works for me...

yeah, just what i was gonna ask! what new sorcery is this, mmm?

my tuppence worth: don't buy a multi effects unit, ever. especially not anything made by zoom, they are just horrible. Tuning pedals are, i beieve, essential, but to be honest that's cos i'm not perhaps the most 'musical' of people. I find things like dropping a bass to D on stage, with one guitarist doing the same, the drummer fucking around, all the booing in the background etc is just bloody useless. much easier to just stand on your pedal and watch the comforting wee lights guide you home!

as for bass distortion, i never used it before, but have started using it recently really sparingly, just to beef up the heavy bits at the end of songs, under solos and stuff like that. I've seen some bassists use it eery time the guitars go heavy, and it can be a bit too much. For what its worth i use a Snarling Dog guitar pedal. It makes a hellish racket, and its got a dog on the front whose eyes light up red when you switch it on. That's what's important to me.

right before i can explain what i ment by short octave i have to do a bit of background knowledge. if you take the friquency of a standard a (440 Mh) and the frequency of the next a up (god knows what) subtract the smaller number from the bigger divide by 7 you get what should be the difference from one note to anopthe unfortunately does not work like that.

now if you take a fitfth interval (bog standard power chord) is not a real fifth frequency wise but is slightly short of one.

again if you ty to tune a guitar only with armonics you'll find yourself with a very out of tune hi e

if you want some mathematical information about this check out http://www.skytopia.com/project/scale.html

for any more questions just fire out