aberdeen-music

any bits of interesting guitar theory you wish to share?

Dan G

And this funky sounding riff....

-----7---8-----7-----------------------

-----8---8-----7-----------------------

-----9---9---- 8-----------------------

-----9---10---9-----------------------

-----7---10---9-----------------------

-0-------8-----7-----------------------

May not be anything new or groundbreaking but it sounds cool as fuck.

(Copyright - Zebrahead 'The Real Me')

Dudes, do you have a pesky major seven chord that you just can't wail over?? Well worry no more, simply move down one semitone from that pesky contemplative bastard and rip with a few of yer favourite minor pentatonic licks.... bootiful!!!!

Don't ask me why.... i think its to do with catching some of the lydian tones or summat, if I could be arsed I'd work it out but I'm a wee bitty baked and I just canna be bithered, min.

Originally posted by Mac Atom:

Dudes, do you have a pesky major seven chord that you just can't wail over?? Well worry no more, simply move down one semitone from that pesky contemplative bastard and rip with a few of yer favourite minor pentatonic licks.... bootiful!!!!

Don't ask me why.... i think its to do with catching some of the lydian tones or summat, if I could be arsed I'd work it out but I'm a wee bitty baked and I just canna be bithered, min.

I'll tell you why mr Mac:

Major 7th chords are the starting line for a lydian chord progression, however one semitone (or interval) down from that is the phrygian mode which is essentially the minor mode but with a flattened second, therefore all minor pentatonic licks will work over it.

:D

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

yeah Cammy, I know the above two.

Although the Kumoi scale is actually:

1, 2, b3, 5, 6 ;)

Damn these stupid hands!! :dunce: I'm obviously not thinking straight! I find that the diminished scale is also very cool for odd little Marty Friedman style flourishes! Though straighforward modes like the lydian mode are favourites of Steve Vai et al and still are cool!

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

everyone probably knows this but just now i'm creaming over adding an extra note to power chords

--------

--------

-(3)----

--4-----

--2-----

--2-----

and chords like that - its prety ace for adding another dimension

(beginners stuff??)

I think Craig from Quik occaisionally barres the E string when playing an 'A' shaped barre to give a chunkier, heavier sound. I do the same in "I Still Miss You", but what you have is something different again.

Not sure of the sound myself.

Here's one for you Paul...

Bring On The Sluts' opening chord is:

--6--

--7--

--8--

--9--

--9--

--7--

It's basically the same as an F chord with an open high 'E', but further up the neck.