aberdeen-music

Help required please........

sludge

I think you should look professional' date=' the last thing I want to see is some scruffy person with 'cool' hair serving me, I recently saw someone like this serving at M&S and it brings the whole impression of the shop down. If you want to have Highlights/emo cuts/piercings get a job that'll allow you to do this, places like 1-up, Retro rebels etc, where your style fits in. Your style doesn't fit the look for John Lewis, get anoher job where your aren't facing the public or where your style fits.[/quote']

Does it really matter how the person looks I mean just because they have red highlights doesn't mean you are gonna get ripped off or anything.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asda's the same - we have to have a weird meeting thing with personnel if we wanted to dye our hair or adopt a fashion 'extreme'.

Even though I wear a hat I'd still have to have this meeting apparently. Although I shaved my mohawk without asking and it looks pretty shady with the hat on but none of the managers have complained. Confusion.

I am so fucking lucky that I do whatever I want with my hair at work and they wouldn't even dare tell me offf about it.

You're idea is great Crocker but I don't think it's gonna get you anywhere because John Lewis is a huge company and it's not up to your store manager to change the rules.

HOWEVER, if you are working with food you should be wearing a hat anyway which they should provide you which should resolve the problem. Good luck!!

i got red highlights through my hair yesterday and my employer has told me to take them out. the managing director says its not open for disscussion but im going to push on anyway. i need someone to help me format a report. also someone with a digital camera to spend a day with me in town. i want to take pictures of employees across town with coloured hair to show them how dated their policy is. if anyone would like to pitch any ideas in or give me advice it would be appreciated.

At the end of the day... what your employer says... goes. You'll probably find it's in your contract to have, "a respectable and tidy appearance" what this is is the company's opinion. Not yours.

If you don't comply they will sack you for misconduct.

:D

Guest JockeySnogger
I am so fucking lucky that I do whatever I want with my hair at work and they wouldn't even dare tell me offf about it.

Thats because your a girl and you pretty much cant get into trouble about your hair.

Gay but true

i got red highlights through my hair yesterday and my employer has told me to take them out. the managing director says its not open for disscussion but im going to push on anyway. i need someone to help me format a report. also someone with a digital camera to spend a day with me in town. i want to take pictures of employees across town with coloured hair to show them how dated their policy is. if anyone would like to pitch any ideas in or give me advice it would be appreciated.

Unless you are conractually obliged to have "normal" hair then they can piss off.

cheers for the feedback guys. i dont really give a shit about the highlights. was just something which pushed a button. ive been advised from my boss not to because i could land myself in shit if i go through with all that i want to do.i think i carefully worded letter would be appropriate at the moment i think. then see how i get on. im well aware who pays my wages and well aware of where i stand but it dosent mean i cant question things. democratic work place anall.......

You could always try the sexual discrimination card - females at JL can have their hair streaked with red through it, yet a male can't? You'd have to be very careful though and make sure your argument was rock solid. Is there any rule about outrageous haircuts - because when I saw your disciplinary form it said 'unnatural hair colour/state' - nothing unnatural about a mohawk! lol - they'd love that.

The only time i had a problem with my employers not liking the colours i dyed my hair was when i worked in video drive in. Nothing was metioned in the interview or the terms i got, but then again the owner didn't like the fact i had my ear pierced and wanted me to take them out, that never really happened. I worked for six years at Mcdonalds and never had any problem with them over my hair colour, ok i wore a hat but with shoulder length hair you could still see it. I think your right to stand up for what you believe is wrong, but be careful about how you go about things, i would suggest a trip to citeizens advice in Market Street and see what they say. If you have a copy of your terms of employment take it along with other documents about your situation, and they should be able to help you. Good luck man.

i would suggest a trip to citeizens advice in Market Street and see what they say. If you have a copy of your terms of employment take it along with other documents about your situation' date=' and they should be able to help you. Good luck man.[/quote']

I would suggest not wasting their valuable time and leaving them to help people with real problems.

It's a bit annoying maybe, but the fact is the company are thinking of their customers. A certain percentage of JL's usual customer base wouldn't be too impressed by anyone looking any other than a 'smart young man' and probably will take their custom elsewhere. The company are within their rights to ensure that their staff don't do anything to hinder their business and lose them money.

Shit but true, welcome to the real world...

I think you should look professional' date=' the last thing I want to see is some scruffy person with 'cool' hair serving me, I recently saw someone like this serving at M&S and it brings the whole impression of the shop down. If you want to have Highlights/emo cuts/piercings get a job that'll allow you to do this, places like 1-up, Retro rebels etc, where your style fits in. Your style doesn't fit the look for John Lewis, get anoher job where your aren't facing the public or where your style fits.[/quote']

what department in M+S where you in???

why should you have to go to a certain sort of alternative job just to have freedom of expresion? if you need a job, you need a job

darren - tell your work that they let you have coloured haid at markies, they'll hate it. my sister did it about how much she got paid and they gave her a rise. just because of the hate between the companies. hehe

M&S contract only states that you must wear the uniform... that the uniform is clean etc with smart shoes.

Hair isn't brought into it. I've seen some funny do's at my work (girl with bright red hair?) but asides the odd one most are well turned out and don't look, "emo" as you put it. 99% of employees dress in a conservative manner... including hair, piercings and make-up.

i saw sludge yesterday walking down the street...(in a non-stalker polite wave thing)..

i wouldn't say that your hair was like "extreme" or anything, just red highlights, i don't get what all the fuss is about..bad john lewis..bad :nono:

Sadly, you need to find your niche in the workplace before you get to be able to do what you want! When I worked for a certain oil co while at Uni, I used to get really pissed off about it all. I'd just not long had my nose and lip pierced, so I wore small retaining studs to work. My manager told me I was not allowed to have anything, I protested that you couldn't see the lip at all because of my beard, and the nose stud was no bigger or more obvious that the jeweled stud worn by another female member of staff. I needed the job and the money, so I had to relent and endure the fun aspect of putting them back in when I got home, which nipped somewhat as the holes would close up during the day. I eventually got a better job post-uni where they tolerated me looking how I wanted on a Friday, as long as I wasn't meeting a client (which I never really had to do). After three years, I am now valued enough to have started my own contracting business, and it's no longer an issue of how I look, but instead of how well I can do my job. I also am attempting to get a composites manufacturing business off the ground with a friend from Uni, and hope long term to work at that pretty much full time. I'll be my own boss, and can look how the hell I want, and if I ever need to employ anyone, then the same will apply to them. But, it's taken a long time to get to the point where my appearence is no longer important compared to the quality and speed of the work I do. Everyone has to start somewhere, and unless your skill is a niche thing, then he who pays the cash makes the rules!

At the end of the day, it's more the customers fault that Crocker will have to change his hair. His managers probably know that his appearance will piss off a certain amount of his customers and they just want to do the best for their business. It's the same everywhere. Even though tattoos, piercings and "radical" haircuts are more "the norm" than ever, we still have to cover up and take visible piercings out just to please the customers who still think it was "better back in their day".

What really annoys me though is the poster we use at the cinema to advertise vacancies says "DO YOU STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD?" Then you get a job and they give you a uniform and a hat to cover up your hair and you have to take all your jewellery off. And we're quite a relaxed company!

But that's the point. Alternative types don't always stand out from the crowd. The majority look the same, dressed in generic alternative clothing. It's got nothing to do with wanting it like it was back in the day. It's about showing professionalism. If I were on an interview panel and two candidates came in with the same qualifications, same experience etc, but one was smartly dressed, and the other was showing some sort of freedom of expression crap, the smart guy would get the job 100% of the time.