aberdeen-music

Help required please........

sludge

Yeah I know the point you're trying to make. I'd be the same, I'd always employ someone clean over someone who looked like they needed a good scrub but that's a societal thing, you know that the smarter person would be more accepted with the public and therefore a far more suitable person for the job.

I'm struggling to get my point across here in words that actually make sense. I was just saying that Crocker will have to change his hair because ultimately it's the customers who pay his wages.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I worked at Alldays, my manager told me he wouldn't give me a promotion unless I stopped having blue hair. I liked my blue hair. I kept it. I didn't get promoted. My supervisor had red streaks through his hair...go figure?

I like working in a bar. So long as I wear my t-shirt, no one cares what hair colour or style you have.

But society will dictate the appearance which is deemed "acceptable" and in certain jobs, you will have to fit this description. Old people and professional people in particular are likely to assume that someone who looks "different" from the next employee is likely to provide poorer quality service. In general, this assumption is unlikely to be well-founded, but how is one to tell the customers that someone who looks "rock" will provide the same level of service as someone who looks "professional."

That added nothing to the debate. I just needed a break from writing my essay. Sorry.

Guest tv tanned
When I worked at Alldays' date=' my manager told me he wouldn't give me a promotion unless I stopped having blue hair. I liked my blue hair. I kept it. I didn't get promoted. My supervisor had red streaks through his hair...go figure?[/quote']

Perhaps you should have died it red?

There you go sludge, get a job at Alldays...

Heres a point.....

If you went into a store to buy something and the 50 year old assistant approached you wearing baggy jeans that had been trailing on the filthy pavement for months and had bits missing, were hanging round his arse with four inches of boxer shorts visible, wearing a NIN tshirt thats well worn and un-ironed. He has a nose and eyebrow piercing and his grey hair (or whats left of it) is streaked with pink and baby blue....

Could you take him seriously?

My point is, with very few exceptions as people mature they tend to loose the desire to be 'different' in their appearance, or it mellows dramatically. As kids enter the big bad world and join the ranks of the employed they are expected (rightly or wrongly) to conform, and in a few short years its they who expect the next generation to tow the line.

When I started work down pit aged 9 (that may be a lie) because my job wasnt customer facing they didnt give a shit what I looked like, their only concern was long hair (not good around machinery) which was easily fixed with a hat.

You think its an outrage being asked to tone down your 'chosen' appearance now but in a few months you'll laugh at how unimportant it all is.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i have to keep my hair short, shave regularly and wear suit

its rubbish but it pays money

plus i doubt my clients would appreciate me showing a complete disrespect for them by turning dressed the way i dress normally. at the end of the day, customers pay money, and part of that demands respect. i.e. making an effort to dress/clean appropriately

mind you i tend not to dye my hair and dont wear outrageous clothes. jeans and t shirt does me nicely

Old people and professional people in particular are likely to assume that someone who looks "different" from the next employee is likely to provide poorer quality service. In general' date=' this assumption is unlikely to be well-founded, but how is one to tell the customers that someone who looks "rock" will provide the same level of service as someone who looks "professional."

[/quote']

No. I think that you'll find that in general professional people more educated and less narrow-minded, and older people longer in the tooth, therefore more accepting than you would expect. They will have been through phases of teenage rebellion and angst themselves.

The only way to ensure that the public know that they are getting the same level of service from someone who looks "rock" to someone who toes the line and looks smart is to make the "rock" person look smart.