aberdeen-music

Meeting for Tsunami Fundraiser

purplefrodo

oh my god!!!

at the gig' date=' can black atom ALL have their heads shaved, onstage!!

but like, only if a certain amount of cash is raised through buckets being passed round and stuff!!!! it would certainly be a great incentive to cough up!!!!

mind you....im doubting theyre gonna agree to this....but....ITS FOR CHARITY!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

*jaw drops*

I think I'd actually cry. Even if it were for charity.

Yes. I'd definitely cry.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I persoanlly think this committe should help towards the Belmont Street benefits... On one dyas there's a coustic gigs, two Kef gigs, and a Drummonds gig. If they got good turn outs to them, collectively that could raise a lot of money. But they need as much help to promote it as possible...

Im just concerned at the amount of fundraisers that are being planned... Unfortunately, there is such a thing as too many, if the Belmont folk get the media involved first, then you won't get the same coverage in May, because of the events that would have already passed...

My worry is that.... In order for any benefit to make that difference, it would need to be held at either the Music Hall, or at the AECC... with a top band, and would need to sell out. Anything less... really wouldn't give you much more than a load of well attended gigs on the 20th February on Belmont Street...

Although these concerns are only relevant, if the focus is simply one gig in May. I would suggest the committee/group take a broader role on the Tsunami Aid Appeal... Than just be concentrating on one gig.

Im just concerned at the amount of fundraisers that are being planned... Unfortunately' date=' there is such a thing as too many, if the Belmont folk get the media involved first, then you won't get the same coverage in May, because of the events that would have already passed...

My worry is that.... In order for any benefit to make that difference, it would need to be held at either the Music Hall, or at the AECC... with a top band, and would need to sell out. Anything less... really wouldn't give you much more than a load of well attended gigs on the 20th February on Belmont Street...

Although these concerns are only relevant, if the focus is simply one gig in May. I would suggest the committee/group take a broader role on the Tsunami Aid Appeal... Than just be concentrating on one gig.[/quote']

I don't know, from the meeting last night I certainly think Moshulu has the potential to be able to create quite a special gig that would be of benefit to punter and the tsunami aid trust. The gig we're looking at is in March and will potentially be something different in appeal to the one in Belmonst street being that this is not just a local event but one which involves a named band or 2. As for the whole thing about it not doing mucjh, even iof it raised 500 then it's done a lot, thats the whole point of thids, this time no-one can argue with my usual thing about its all about making money. I think that the more events the better, this is about raising money, a lot of the same people will go to both events and well done to them.

Cheers

Stuart

Put it this way, even just 500 could prevent 20 or so people developing Cholera (which is one of the real dangers in the aftermath of the disaster because of a lack of clean drinking water), that's certainly something to be proud of. Saying a gig needs to be at a huge venue with a large band to "make a difference" is not something I agree with to be honest.

Even just a few donations to the trust makes a difference.

I wasn't saying that it had to be at a big venue with a big band... I was just saying that there is another side to this whole thing. Shouldn't we be aiming as high as possible? Not '500 can make a difference', but that '250,000 can make a difference'. Of course any amount will help... but that should just be a fall back... not the target.

No offence, but anybody can put together a semi-well attended benefit gig at Moshulu... If you have some brains about you, you put in some promo, pick a good night, and have a decent line up... I don't mean that with any disrespect to moshulu, because I think it is a great venue... And I certainly would support any benefit taking place there, and I would put time and effort into doing whatever I could to help make it a succes, but I have spoken to a few people, who raised some quite valid points, about what the actual point/target/ambition was and should be for any committee or persons involved in organising this gig...that's all. Im not out to cause trouble or anything like that. :up:

Ive put time into organising events before, and I know what I mean, even if it maybe isnt quite as clear to everyone else... I just seem to have a slightly different slant on this whole benefit... but that's no crime. Rach is of course right, any money that is raised will of course would make a difference, and it would be something for us to feel proud of... It just depends what the target actually is.

Moshulu has what, 600-650 capacity? That's alot of folk to make donations, and that could raise an awful lot. Better have a well attended gig at Moshulu with a great atmosphere which could encourage folk to donate money, than a gig at the AECC which has an attendance of 15% of the venue's capacity which might not go as well...

But then again that's just my thoughts...

Guest tv tanned

I think it was a good meeting, we didn't get ideas above our station too early, and we will doubtless have some fleshed out ideas next week when we will have a better idea of the scale of event we are looking at.

-edit- I think that there was a manageable number of people there last night. It could have ended up as a 'too many cooks' scenario but didn't.

Would somebody like to explain what was decided to those of us who didn't make it. Really pissed off i didn't make it' date=' sorry guys. Next meeting is when?[/quote']

It was decided that the gig will take place in March in Moshulu on one of a number of dates, that it will possibly consist of one named band and their support and 3 local bands, or possibly a band playing a one off date with some smaller named supports and some local bands. We decided not to make it an all day event and to concentrate on making it an evening and that whoever we get must be a gig that is likely to sell out on its own. The next meeting is same time next week 7 at the bassment and the plan is to have a list of bands etc we would like to play with the contacts we have to see if we can appeal to as big a group as possible. So far the bands we want are:

Phil Collins

Natalie Imbruglia

Midge Ure

and a few others i think were mentioned ;)

In seriousness it was also decided that this should be genre free, this is not going for minority bands that are cool to have its about maximising who we can get, the bigger the band the better if they can mean we can charge 20 a ticket then thats the way forward. In fact i think Girls Aloud were mentioned ;) We are looking at all bands to play pop/rock/punk whatever will guarantee a sellout.

Cheers

Stuart

It was decided that the gig will take place in March in Moshulu on one of a number of dates' date=' that it will possibly consist of one named band and their support and 3 local bands, or possibly a band playing a one off date with some smaller named supports and some local bands. We decided not to make it an all day event and to concentrate on making it an evening and that whoever we get must be a gig that is likely to sell out on its own. The next meeting is same time next week 7 at the bassment and the plan is to have a list of bands etc we would like to play with the contacts we have to see if we can appeal to as big a group as possible. So far the bands we want are:

Phil Collins

Natalie Imbruglia

Midge Ure

and a few others i think were mentioned ;)

In seriousness it was also decided that this should be genre free, this is not going for minority bands that are cool to have its about maximising who we can get, the bigger the band the better if they can mean we can charge 20 a ticket then thats the way forward. In fact i think Girls Aloud were mentioned ;) We are looking at all bands to play pop/rock/punk whatever will guarantee a sellout.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

If its Natalie Imbruglia, myself and Jester will personally tend to her needs :up:

i go and see girls aloud' date=' i think alot of people will be turend off if tickets are 20 and theirs no class "a" band playing[/quote']

The ticket price will be dependant on the band that is decided. Its very early days, the lowest a ticket price will be is 6-10.

Nothing will be decided until much later on.

Cheers

Stuart

Girls Aloud in Moshulu. Now that's a sentence I never thought I'd hear.

But hell if it's for charity I'd prolly go and see that, just for shits and giggles.

Natalie Imbruglia = oh yes.

Ive put time into organising events before' date=' and I know what I mean, even if it maybe isnt quite as clear to everyone else... I just seem to have a slightly different slant on this whole benefit... but that's no crime. Rach is of course right, any money that is raised will of course would make a difference, and it would be something for us to feel proud of... It just depends what the target actually is.[/quote']

This be true. But as I think we proved with Tribute it's possible to raise a heck of a lot of money from a show that doesn't necessarily sell well, but if you put the right organisation into it and get some sponsors too. :)