aberdeen-music

Good Charlotte Fans

Born with Wings

I'd thought I'd made it clear that that was all I was gonna say. So what's with these questions?

I have berated numerous bands who I do not like? Cept maybe Norma Jean' date=' and on this occasion GC, I have not singled out any other outfits. But regarding your main point - if I believe a band (or companies) practices damaging to the punk community, then I (and others) will say so. We ain't just gonna stand back and allow others to fuck with our scene - allow them to destroy our work.

You have a problem with me posting threads bout particular bands? Should I not be permitted to do so?

And no, GC were not "okay" prior to making it big. I said nothing of the sort, so do not twist what I did say, and that was that most folks were not then aware of them. Jesus. How many times do I have to say this? It ain't coz they're a popular band. I ain't got a problem with that. They're a pop outfit, paraded as punk.

And no, I did not say that I did not knock GC, but said that I did so not to appear cool, but so as to make a valid point.

Look man, I would have said not a thing bout GC here. I reacted only coz you took a swipe at their criticst. Your point regarding ealousy was ridiculous, so I challenged it.[/quote']

No, my point about jealousy was not rediculous, but probably true in many cases. Perhaps not yourself as you are so high and mighty. But lets face it, people hate seeing other people succeed. That's where the backlash comes from. Just like I hate Rangers and Celtic FC. Although you probably don't like football. Damn..... I can't think of any other examples. I'm too much of a sellout. :D

Your 'scene'? I am not very aware you have one. Again, as i'm not interested in it. Sorry. Damaging the 'punk' community? Is there such a thing? What exactly does the punk community do? what goes on? Please tell me. I'm genuinely interested to know. A way of life, yeah, i get that.

And what is the punk community doing about all these bands and companies exploiting them anyway? You mentioned awareness before.... but what is that doing for the punk community. Does anyone actually pay any attention? Or just those in the punk community? You really cannot do anything. Pop-punk is going to continue to 'exploit' you as you say. The kids like it. Simple as that.

But then again, surely punk sold out to itself back in the 70's when it became popular? And yes, you don't mind popular bands... I know this.

I don't care about you posting threads, everyone is entitled to do the same. As i'm perfectly entitled to disagree with you say. And you with what I say. If anything, at least you give me something to do when i'm bored at work.

:up:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey i'm not denying him the right to have a flashy car and house' date=' just pointing out that claiming to not be flashy and then spending that much on a house and car totally contradicts yourself.[/quote']

He only spent that money on the car ;) Although $100,000 aint much for a car really (less than 50,000). Loads of people here would spend more than that. If he was really a 'fancy dan' he'd be spending some big coin.

See, so they ARE skint.

heh.

Guest allsystemsfail
No' date=' my point about jealousy was not rediculous, but probably true in many cases. Perhaps not yourself as you are so high and mighty. But lets face it, people hate seeing other people succeed. That's where the backlash comes from. Just like I hate Rangers and Celtic FC. Although you probably don't like football. Damn..... I can't think of any other examples. I'm too much of a sellout. :D

Your 'scene'? I am not very aware you have one. Again, as i'm not interested in it. Sorry. Damaging the 'punk' community? Is there such a thing? What exactly does the punk community do? what goes on? Please tell me. I'm genuinely interested to know. A way of life, yeah, i get that.

And what is the punk community doing about all these bands and companies exploiting them anyway? You mentioned awareness before.... but what is that doing for the punk community. Does anyone actually pay any attention? Or just those in the punk community? You really cannot do anything. Pop-punk is going to continue to 'exploit' you as you say. The kids like it. Simple as that.

But then again, surely punk sold out to itself back in the 70's when it became popular? And yes, you don't mind popular bands... I know this.

I don't care about you posting threads, everyone is entitled to do the same. As i'm perfectly entitled to disagree with you say. And you with what I say. If anything, at least you give me something to do when i'm bored at work.

:up:[/quote']

What is it with folks that when others take a swipe at a successful act, that they believe it is because of jealousy. The Offspring said the very same thing bout their critics. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Fact. GC suck.

You may not have had first hand experience of it, but the punk community does indeed exist. Its influence has extended across the globe. What we have today is a world wide network of bands, zines, distros, show spaces, labels, and friends. It is a powerful alternative to the music biz, one whose interest is not profit, but community.

Regarding the taking of action - many are active politically. Many thousands of people would not have become activists had punk not touched their lives. It changed mine. While its influence it is true is not as great as it once was, it still continues to inspire.

And I ain't got a problem with pop punk. Never said I had.

And if you don't care whether I introduce threads or not, why then did you raise the fact that I did?

oh you mean 'here' as in aberdeen, not 'here' as in this website. well yeah, you're right but spending that much on a car is still flashy by ordinary standards. if good charlotte were really 'not flashy' as they claim to be, then they'd all be driving fiat puntos instead of massive trucks with ten grand's worth of decoration. if they wanna spend that much on a car they should at least be able to say 'we came from poor backgrounds so while the money's ripe we're gonna be as frivolous as possible!'

although they should really take a leaf out of mc hammer's book. when he was at the height of his success he was really flashy, solid gold toilet flashy. didn't bank on being a flash in the pan so to speak and now he's bankrupt and destitute.

What is it with folks that when others take a swipe at a successful act' date=' that they believe it is because of jealousy. The Offspring said the very same thing bout their critics. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Fact. GC suck.

You may not have had first hand experience of it, but the punk community does indeed exist. Its influence has extended across the globe. What we have today is a world wide network of bands, zines, distros, show spaces, labels, and friends. It is a powerful alternative to the music biz, one whose interest is not profit, but community.

Regarding the taking of action - many are active politically. Many thousands of people would not have become activists had punk not touched their lives. It changed mine. While its influence it is true is not as great as it once was, it still continues to inspire.

And I ain't got a problem with pop punk. Never said I had.

And if you don't care whether I introduce threads or not, why then did you raise the fact that I did?[/quote']

What do the Offspring have to do with this? They got backlash for becoming popular too sure. But how do you know it wasn't jealousy? Everyone isn't the same. Contradictory to what you believe (and I know you didn't say that ,i'm not putting words into your mouth, that's how it comes accross).

Punk music changed your life... so why can't good charlotte or the offspring do the same to some other young kids life? They have just as much right to believe in bands they like and look up to. Just as much as you and your unknown bands and bunch of hardy followers.

Why is punk an alternative to the music biz? if people like a band, they will listen. That's the point. They like the music. Not a whole hidden agenda behind the music. So does that make punk music inferior? Is it not important? Is it the lifestlye that's important? Why bother with the music if the community is the important part?

Punk involved politically? Never seen any evidence of that. Only National Front Scumbags who sometimes get affiliated with skin head nazi punks etc.... Again, what has the punk movement actually achieved in politics?

Oh, and you still didn't say how old you are. Is it a secret?

I'll start the 'Favourite Ultra crust Punk Bands of Septrmber 1993'. Although you'd probably come up with a list of 3000 bands you saw that month. ;)

Guest allsystemsfail
What do the Offspring have to do with this? They got backlash for becoming popular too sure. But how do you know it wasn't jealousy? Everyone isn't the same. Contradictory to what you believe (and I know you didn't say that ' date='i'm not putting words into your mouth, that's how it comes accross).

Punk music changed your life... so why can't good charlotte or the offspring do the same to some other young kids life? They have just as much right to believe in bands they like and look up to. Just as much as you and your unknown bands and bunch of hardy followers.

Why is punk an alternative to the music biz? if people like a band, they will listen. That's the point. They like the music. Not a whole hidden agenda behind the music. So does that make punk music inferior? Is it not important? Is it the lifestlye that's important? Why bother with the music if the community is the important part?

Punk involved politically? Never seen any evidence of that. Only National Front Scumbags who sometimes get affiliated with skin head nazi punks etc.... Again, what has the punk movement actually achieved in politics?

Oh, and you still didn't say how old you are. Is it a secret?

I'll start the 'Favourite Ultra crust Punk Bands of Septrmber 1993'. Although you'd probably come up with a list of 3000 bands you saw that month. ;)[/quote']

I used The Offspring only as an example. And no, their critics did not slam them coz they broke big. What is it with you and this jealousy thing?

Sure, folks can listen to The Offspring etc, but that was not my point.

And look up to? Punk ain't bout heroes.

And punk an alternative to the music biz? I already said why. Punk ain't just bout music. Never has been. It is a force for change. And there is no hidden agenda. Jesus. Also, the music is what holds this particular community together. Sure, it is not it's only reason for existence, but it is extremely important.

Punks not politically involved? I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You may not have seen any evidence of it, but it is indeed true. Many movements owe much to the involvement of punks.

And no, the NF has no affiliation with the punk community.

My age? No, it isn't a secret. I just didn't think it relevant. I'm 42.

oh you mean 'here' as in aberdeen' date=' not 'here' as in this website. well yeah, you're right but spending that much on a car is still flashy by ordinary standards. if good charlotte were really 'not flashy' as they claim to be, then they'd all be driving fiat puntos instead of massive trucks with ten grand's worth of decoration. if they wanna spend that much on a car they should at least be able to say 'we came from poor backgrounds so while the money's ripe we're gonna be as frivolous as possible!'

although they should really take a leaf out of mc hammer's book. when he was at the height of his success he was really flashy, solid gold toilet flashy. didn't bank on being a flash in the pan so to speak and now he's bankrupt and destitute.[/quote']

Yeah, but if you lived day to day by the rule "I once said this so I can't do that" then your life would be rigid and unworkable. Circumstances change and so do people. You grow. Your lifestyle changes to incorporate the wealth you create for instance. To me, a 50 grand car sounds like the biggest waste of money imaginable, but if I had a million I suppose I might consider it.

Good Charlotte are one of those weird bands. "The Young and The Hopeless" was good in an extremely cheesy kinda way, desribed by certain journalists as 'neo-communist' (hahahaha) while their first album came across as a tongue-in-cheek 'in it for the laughs' teenage joke. (But I really don't think they saw it that way.)

The new GC video isn't my cup of tea at all, but the fact everyone else hates them so much kinda makes me want to like them.

i was just under the impression that they still claim to be not flashy' date=' as some kid said earlier in this thread. if they said that back when they were poor and then they came into money and became flashy with their cash, that's different.[/quote']

Agreed. Now all we need to do is find out exactly what they said, when they said it and how well off they were at the time of saying it, and we can determine once and for all if they're hypocritical!

Or we could just say 'who cares?'.

:up:

In answer to the initial question, I don't know if they can now be classed a manufactured band when they were a group that got together themselves....but the new album just isn't doing it for me. The first passed me by, but young & hopeless was a constant player in the car last summer, bit of light spirited decent tunes never harmed anyone...

..oh and for punk points, I downloaded the album :rolleyes:

for more punk points can you burn it for me keils...unless your lovely bro buys me it for christmas... HINT HINT!

I dont care what anyone says..i get enough shit anyways.. GC make goos fucking hyper music. Thier pop fuelled anthems are great to make you sing and songs like "emotionless" really help with hard times..

the first single from the new albujm was sooo good for me cuz it came just at the right time... aint heard the new single yet though so i cant comment on it but give GC a break, so what they got popular...good for them!

(plus Billy is FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!)

heehee xx

They did a passable song a few years ago called "Superman Can't Walk", but it was Pop-Rock at best.

They've never been a Punk band and their new stuff is turgid radio death. They're the kind of "Punks" that claim to be on-the-street homeboys from blue-collar families who caught a lucky break, when in reality they spend stupid money on stupid cars and wining and dining American socialite/strippers a la Sum 41.

They're too Pop for Punk and too ugly for Pop, so they're stuck in the grey-area inbetween called "Pop-Punk".

My advice - Sell all your CD's and listen John Barry style instrumental movie scores.

In answer to the initial question' date=' I don't know if they can now be classed a manufactured band when they were a group that got together themselves....but the new album just isn't doing it for me. The first passed me by, but young & hopeless was a constant player in the car last summer, bit of light spirited decent tunes never harmed anyone...

..oh and for punk points, I downloaded the album :rolleyes:[/quote']

The first album's pretty good but there are some amusing 'younger band' moments. I'd figure that to be a manufactured band you'd be selling loads when you were on your first album...

Do you still class them as a real rock/punk group' date='after seeing there new song and video?

I think it hould be more like manufactured boy band.

Taylor[/quote']

Does it matter what they're classed as? If they're Good Charlotte fans then Im sure they like the music they play rather then the title (of music) they play under

They did a passable song a few years ago called "Superman Can't Walk"' date=' but it was Pop-Rock at best.

They've never been a Punk band and their new stuff is turgid radio death. They're the kind of "Punks" that claim to be on-the-street homeboys from blue-collar families who caught a lucky break, when in reality they spend stupid money on stupid cars and wining and dining American socialite/strippers a la Sum 41.

They're too Pop for Punk and too ugly for Pop, so they're stuck in the grey-area inbetween called "Pop-Punk".

My advice - Sell all your CD's and listen John Barry style instrumental movie scores.[/quote']

I half agree with you their. Personally I think they can come up with a good song or too. They are on of the few decent pop bands out there but the whole "ghetto" image is doing my head in.

yes but rune is so much better than us remember!!! His musical tastes out weigh that of anybody on here........ :rolleyes:

Serioulsy you lot will try and take down anything that makes it big. Fair enough GC maybe arnt the greatest band ever but they are damm good at what they do.

What i said is fact though not opinion