aberdeen-music

First Drum Kit

Tav

Guest Scorge Spike

Kits - If he's budget conscious, I'd recommend either a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau or a Pearl Export - both are available for around the 500 mark, and will stand up to gigging without too much bother. They'll only be standard five piece kits with a smattering of hardware and one pedal though, though. If money is no object, my pick is a customised Pacific LX, failing that, you could always try DW's own kits, though I don't particularly like their toms....

Cymbals - Paiste are best at doing budget cymbals that last a while, though for sound quality I'd much rather invest in Meinl or Sabian (I currently have the Pro Sonix range 8" splash, 14" hats, 16" chinese, 16" and 18" crash and 22" ride, though that'll cost about 3-400 new) as they have far superior pitch, tone, and sharpness.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Kits - If he's budget conscious' date=' I'd recommend either a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau or a Pearl Export - both are available for around the 500 mark, and will stand up to gigging without too much bother. They'll only be standard five piece kits with a smattering of hardware and one pedal though, though. If money is no object, my pick is a customised Pacific LX, failing that, you could always try DW's own kits, though I don't particularly like their toms....

Cymbals - Paiste are best at doing budget cymbals that last a while, though for sound quality I'd much rather invest in Meinl or Sabian (I currently have the Pro Sonix range 8" splash, 14" hats, 16" chinese, 16" and 18" crash and 22" ride, though that'll cost about 3-400 new) as they have far superior pitch, tone, and sharpness.[/quote']

you have the coolest avatar imagineable

i want it :up:

Cymbals - Paiste are best at doing budget cymbals that last a while' date=' though for sound quality I'd much rather invest in Meinl or Sabian (I currently have the Pro Sonix range 8" splash, 14" hats, 16" chinese, 16" and 18" crash and 22" ride, though that'll cost about 3-400 new) as they have far superior pitch, tone, and sharpness.[/quote']

ive cracked 2 pro sonix 16"ers, it makes me sad :moody: But yea, the pro sonix cymbal starter pack, combined with the FX pack is a good set for anyone, 300 quid ish prolly. I actually took my 16" AAX metal crash back, coz i prefered the pro sonix sound :up:

Kits - If she's budget conscious

Cheers for the advice, anyone else? I did see a Yamaha Rydeen 22 Rock kit for 450 with some Zildjian Planet Z cymbols for 450. Not sure how that fairs with their budget but what do people think of Yamaha? I mean they are well renound for their cheaper guitars being much better than the price tag suggests.

Cheers for the advice' date=' anyone else? I did see a Yamaha Rydeen 22 Rock kit for 450 with some Zildjian Planet Z cymbols for 450. Not sure how that fairs with their budget but what do people think of Yamaha? I mean they are well renound for their cheaper guitars being much better than the price tag suggests.[/quote']

I got a yamaha rock tour custom (see avatar), 1980's like, but wouldnt trade it for anything, certainly not a pearl kit.

note: i only paid 500 for it.

A friend of mine is getting a drum kit for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone could give advice on brands/models to go for aswell as what it should include etc etc. Same goes for symbols if they are needed and what not...

Totally depends on budget. Others have mentioned that the Pearl Export and Yamaha Stage Custom are good options around the 500-600 mark, and they are quite right. Forget about DW drums as bizarrely suggested by one reply, unless this person has extremely generous parents....this is absolute top end, and you'll get no change out of 2000 at the bare minimum. I play DW myself, and the shells alone cost me 3200.

Others worth considering are the Gretsch Blackhawk, Mapex V Series which are about 400 - both are better thatn the cheap price tag suggests.

It's actually very difficult to buy a shite sounding drum kit if you pay more than 400. The cymbals and hardware are where you need to be a bit wary. Always go for double-braced hardware where possible, and it is always worth spending a bit more on cymbals. Do NOT buy Stagg cymbals, which may look cheap and cheerful, but they'll crack in 5 minutes. Far better to go for one of the Sabian B8 Pro Pro/Pro Sonix packs, or the Zildjian ZBT/ZXT packs.

Hope this helps,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

in terms of cymbals, i spent a long time wondering what to buy....after nearly buying both Zildjian ZXT's and the notorious pro sonix, i asked some professional advice and ending up getting paiste 802's (14" hi hats, 16" crash and 20"ride) for 209 off the web, they were meant to be 300. Absolutely superb, actually sound better than some expensive Zildjian Z customs I've played and a few sabian numbers too. Just about to buy the 18" crash for 100, can't wait to stop borrowing cymbals at captain toms for a pound a shot.

and planet Z are fucking awful, as are sabian solars, the first cymbals i bought. so bad i've never even tried the hi-hats.

Mike

Well i've always found that nothing comes easy!

My first drumkit was a 200 manhattan affair from bruce millars 13 years ago, kept it for 3 years, had a white tama Artstar 2 elite kit (with matching remo ebony's aka. lars ulrich stylee) which was ace that kit cost 700 about 10-11 years ago. Kept it for 4 years, and now i'm onto my third kit, MApex Orion Maple Custom, which sounds phenomenal, but not to every one's taste! I'm lucky enough to have a job that can support my drum habbit nowadays, but was not always the case!

I might have a very nice kit now, but it's taken me years to save up to buy as i like.

I was never worried about cymbals quality initially - as i had sod all money, but now i'm on the zildjians K and A Customs.

I think without wasting too much of your time i think the point of this spiel is that -----

Take your time, buy a cheapo kit to start with and work your way up. Don't despair about playing pan lids as there's no point in spending big bucks if you don't have to!

Everything will come with time! :band::up:

• 2 weeks later...

don't bother forcking out 500 for exports.

go to r n b and get the cheaper forum series. thats what i still have and once you stick some decent skins on it, and save up a bit more for cymbals stead of the shit they give with it its okay.

i can't wait to upgrade (won't be for at least 2 years) but this kit does me okay...

Id check out yamaha Rydeen Mapex V series, Pearl forum, tama swingstar, Rockstar, If the guys pretty new to drums then these kits should take a pounding, ideal for beginners and ready for gigging. Yamaha's stage custom Nouveu's also a tidy kit at a great price, I was getting told about these kits today and apparently they sound fantastic and look great.

Dont be fooled into spending load of money on a drumkit, If you spend 600 quid on everything then that should be enough. If you cant spend 600 quid then get a session pro and change the skins and get a cymbal starter pack. Not much cheaper but your sorted....

Mike

Long live Masterworks.......