aberdeen-music

Does Aberdeen Really Want Bands

Stormhart

I have been a member of Aberdeen Metal Scene for more years than i want to remember.Ten years ago i would of died for the friends and contacts i have down south now.Just want thank the people who showed interest in the Bloodstock Roadshow so far but its just not enough.We have be moaning and complaining for years that bands wont come to Aberdeen.This one of the reasons why they wont come is because when push comes to shove Aberdeen crowd just wont come out in numbers or show the interest what other cities do.I hated haveing to say that but i come from this city and i hate haveing to travel south to see bands.Come on Everyone if your a metalhead or not support the Bloodstock Roadshow and rally behind it :bat: .Show the bands that we want them up here and post your replies in support please and i can show the bands that you are interested and they are wanted.

Hail And Kill

Stormhart Aka Marshall

Uk Defender Of Powermetal

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

The promotion of the gig itself.

If no bugger knows about it, then no bugger will go.

I have to say, I have been to a fair share of pish attendance gigs, but equally have been to some packed gigs as well.

Remember watching Gold Blade and The Needles at Glow (as it was in them days) with a tiny crowd. Was still a great show, but I only found out from a mate who was on the GB mailing list, I saw no real aggressive promotion, but I could have simply been missing it, it has been known and I was only young!

The metal/punk/hardcore "scene" is, relatively speaking, tiny in Aberdeen. That along with poor promotion will put off a lot of bands.

There seems to be no problem with mainstream acts like Travis, elton john, or even lulu pulling a crowd. I was even dragged along by my wife to see edi reader at the beach ballroom some time ago. To my surprise it was mobbed and a very good gig indeed.

I think thats rubbish if good bands are put on AND there is a good amount of promotion done then people will come out to watch them. You cant go watch a band you dont know are playing. Eg Caffine the other week, amazing gig one of the tightest bands ive seen play in aberdeen in ages and the only reason i knew it was on was because broken sunshine and gilman were playing and i know them personely. There was very very little promotion done for a band of that stature and therefore it wasnt a busy night. There are going to be nights when people turn out in force, sugarcult is a perfect example moshulu was packed to the bone that night after a lot of promotin and pushing of that gig by the people involved in the night.

As has been said people wont come if they dont know its on and i just think the promotion of gigs has almost dissappeared now a days.

Ok so people knows im not the promotor Vince is.Bloodstock was voted the best festival in Europe last year.Im just one of the people who has supports Bloodstock and has contacts in it.This was only decided last week that the roadshow is comeing and im passing the news on and doing some ground work for it.If you dont think Vince can promote just have a look at www.bloodstock.com.uk for yourself if Vince is doing this it will happen and people will know about it properly.Im testing the ground just now see what reaction im getting and i will pass onto Vince if i think people will come or not but its very early days so please chill i want this to happen Aberdeen needs it :bat: .Im just rallying support.

Hail And Kill

Stormhart

Last decent band what played Aberdeen was Saxon.I have seen Faith No More twice in Aberdeen once at the capital and another time at nightclub what used to be called the palace.Get a decent nite together and we finally get bands comeing up not just locals and i start comeing out again.

I was at that Saxon gig.

30 odd people in a 1,300 capacity venue...

It was hilarious. Especially when the drummer threw his sticks in the air and didn't manage to catch them. Or when he climbed onto the drum kit and then fell down.

In terms of local gigs and the likes then why should touring bands come up to Aberdeen when a local bill will pull far more people than a touring bill. Sad state of affairs but it`s just the wy it is in Aberdeen.

Last decent band what played Aberdeen was Saxon.I have seen Faith No More twice in Aberdeen once at the capital and another time at nightclub what used to be called the palace.Get a decent nite together and we finally get bands comeing up not just locals and i start comeing out again.

im sorry but Saxon are nothing but a bad joke. there are plenty of good gigs in aberdeen (not as much as glasgow mind) i think this Bleeding through and Cult of Luna gig should show a lot of bands that we have the venues...who knows what we might get next.

aye, storm its right, people!!

and Saxon isnt a bad joke! They have made more records, toured more countries and they have more fans than most other metal bands ... where are you in this world ? Are you as famous as BIff Byford

You should give some new bands a chance

Bloodstock is a famous thing throughout the UK

Im sure the Real Metalheads will be there though

Guest neil ex
also need to remember that people need to be given a reason to see a band if they havent heard of them sticking their name up will do nothing.

People are always on about supporting independent music, gigging venues, promoters etc. How many people really do though?

I think very little people will give time to bands they've not heard though, even if they think they might like them. That's why local gigs are better attended. It makes you wonder what kind of crowds some touring acts would play to if they weren't put on bills with local bands.

Do you remember Drakes had a series of free gigs on not that long ago? Lucky us, ay? Some of them were very poorly attended, so I don't think prices come into it at all, like said above.

It's all down to people being lazy, narrow minded, not giving things a chance and those that just go to see their mates band and 'cool' bands all the time.

You're right though, it sounds obvious, but you see it happen alot.

Guest stuartmaxwell
I think very little people will give time to bands they've not heard though' date=' even if they think they might like them. That's why local gigs are better attended. It makes you wonder what kind of crowds some touring acts would play to if they weren't put on bills with local bands.

People are always on about supporting independent music, gigging venues, promoters etc. How many people really do though?

Do you remember Drakes had a series of free gigs on not that long ago? Some of them were very poorly attended, so I don't think prices come into it at all, like said above.

It's all down to people being lazy, narrow minded, not giving things a chance and those that just go to see their mates band and 'cool' bands all the time.

You're right though, it sounds obvious, but you see it happen alot.[/quote']

good call neil ex

you are the best (at chess)

Not wanting to argue with you but excellant bands do indeed play Aberdeen and some of the local bands are excellant.

The following are some of my favourites over the last two years:-

Raging Speedhorn, Johnny Truant & One Pity

Amen Little Hell & Torqamada

One Minute Silence & Fallen To

Kill II This , Breed77 Everything for Some

sikTh ,Hopesfall & Murder One

The Misfits, Lonely Kings & Karloff

Norma Jean & Beecher D-Rail + Last Times Perfect

Bonesaw & Bumsnogger, Errata, Red Stars Parade & Vomitus

Johnny Truant Allegro & Femora

Viking Skull Deadloss Superstar & Radio Lucifer

H.I.M. & Cathedral

Breed77 Black Atom & MAB

I go to as many gigs as i possibly can in Aberdeen and i most certainly would go to your Bloodstock roadshow as would quite a few of my mates from Elgin, im not a big fan of Power Metal as such but it might open my eyes.

Which is what i suppose its all about :up:

Ok everyone i dont hate the local bands just not my taste ok.As for bands Vince is bringing up they are not all powermetal.You might not think much of what im saying but i have been pushing since i have started going to Bloodstock to get some of them to come up.I want the best for Aberdeen and this is a step forward not back.

Ok everyone i dont hate the local bands just not my taste ok.As for bands Vince is bringing up they are not all powermetal.You might not think much of what im saying but i have been pushing since i have started going to Bloodstock to get some of them to come up.I want the best for Aberdeen and this is a step forward not back.

Im 100% behind you, the more gigs in Aberdeen the better.

Its just over an hour from Aberdeen to Elgin, but its more than 3 times that to go to Glasgow. So getting home to my bed before 3/4 am in the Morning would be a boost to me :up: