aberdeen-music

Christian Bands?

Alkaline

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh...there was a big thread on the boards aboot this a while back. bands i like that can be seen as christian - mewithoutyou, the chariot and norma jean. i come from a fairly liberal christian family and whilst i don't practise the faith myself don't believe it should be painted in the coat of 'evil and life destroying'. certain branches of it yes, but not as a whole.

i like low

they sound like christians

2/3rds of Low are mormons. They don't play sundays. There's lot's of religious

reference points going on in their lyrics. But their music goes waaaaaay beyond.........

They play QMU Frid 25/02 & Queens Hall Sat 26/02. The Great Destroyer comes out

24/01 & by Low standards its a change...............

Guest stuartmaxwell
2/3rds of Low are mormons. They don't play sundays. There's lot's of religious

reference points going on in their lyrics. But their music goes waaaaaay beyond.........

They play QMU Frid 25/02 & Queens Hall Sat 26/02. The Great Destroyer comes out

24/01 & by Low standards its a change...............

yeah is the QMU show still available ticket wise

want to head along to it, i think they would be great in cottiers

I like Norma Jean, the first 4 ZAO records, 7Angels7Plagues, Edict of Milan, Spirit of versailles, Sinking Steps....Rising Eyes and a few other outwardly Christian bands.

Im a very anti-christian. Anti-religion actually. but im also anti fascist and anti-nazi, so it would be hypocritical of me not to listen to these bands because of their views when people clearly know that I listen to bands liek Graveland, Burzum and Mayhem.

Its just music, Im not gonna take their lyrics or views to heart, so fuck it, as long as it sounds good, its good.

The lyrical content would not stop me lsitening to a band, if their music was good. At the end of the day, lyrics and so on are just lyrics, they could be about anything. And if they want to write about Christianity, or rligion then good for them. I just tend not to let it affect me, unless they are like preaching in between songs, saying we all should pray for a minute and so on... that is different...

Guest allsystemsfail
Explain why please?

Christian belief conflicts with punk's strongly anti-authoritarian message. Christianity demands obedience to a higher authority. Punk seeks to fuck with authority.

Well that applies to traditional punk... Real punk music. But I don't think its the same for the sort of wishy washy punk culture we have nowadays, where punk music is style as opposed to an ideal or message. Big difference between Sex Pistols and Sum 41... Yet they both say the are punk bands...?

So following that line, I agree about the real punk attitude... but I don't think it would be wrong to have a Mdern Christian punk band...

I disagree with Christian "metal" bands, as they are almost trying to use "the devils music" to subvert children with their own message...

It's pretty much "double standards" for me.

Stryper, POD and all those bollox, if they have a message, and need to "hijack" a way of "getting it to the kids", I think that's wrong (especially if they say that "rock music is the devils work (but not if they are singing about god etc)...

It's the same as the old Christian Skate Park, yeah, lure the kids in with sk8ing, but once you've got em, come, listen to my sermon, have this bible...

fuck off, sell that shit with your "own merits", not on false pretenses.

Christian belief conflicts with punk's strongly anti-authoritarian message. Christianity demands obedience to a higher authority. Punk seeks to fuck with authority.

oh dear, oh dear. Christianity does not 'demand' obedience at all. The true underlying message behind all religions like christianity is love, respect and faith in others. It is very sad to see that you view religion this way, although it seems to be the norm these days with the way that supposed religious people use their faiths as weapons and tools of spite.

As i said i am not religious, but i do however believe in the above.

:up:

Guest allsystemsfail
oh dear' date=' oh dear. Christianity does not 'demand' obedience at all. The true underlying message behind all religions like christianity is love, respect and faith in others. It is very sad to see that you view religion this way, although it seems to be the norm these days with the way that supposed religious people use their faiths as weapons and tools of spite.

:up:[/quote']

It demands obedience to god - that one must obey his laws.

Sure, love, and a respect of others, is indeed preached. However, Christianity's practice has caused much strife, and extreme suffering over many many centuries. The Bible teaches us also that women should be at the service of men, and condemns homosexuality.

It demands obedience to god - that one must obey his laws.

Sure' date=' love, and a respect of others, is indeed preached. However, Christianity's practice has caused much strife, and extreme suffering over many many centuries. The Bible teaches us also that women should be at the service of men, and condemns homosexuality.[/quote']

do not get me wrong i don't agree with the missuse of christianity over the years i.e the crusades, mass witch burnings etc as i said it is often used as a weapon, as are all religions. and no christianity does not demand obedience to god, it asks you to love him and his creations, free will is an important part of christianity as a religion and it would not be possible to be subserviant to someone and maintain your free will.

i also don't regard the bible as a reference point, because lets face it its just a collection of stories that in those ages were used to put a message across. people thought diferently back then clearly so its not relevent by any means today.

oh dear' date=' oh dear. Christianity does not 'demand' obedience at all. The true underlying message behind all religions like christianity is love, respect and faith in others. It is very sad to see that you view religion this way, although it seems to be the norm these days with the way that supposed religious people use their faiths as weapons and tools of spite.

:up:[/quote']

Why then in america to this present day have all those southern religious tripe fuckers voted in that nazi motherfucker bush? Only thing that tells me is that religion is corrupt and lives under false pretenses. It's obviously standard preaching to vote in for dangerous ideas such as mass murdering of innocents, declaring war on a nation that has not attacked, creating war for dollar signs, corportate crimes, taking all your out of work bums, low life, unemplolyable and sending them to their death thus easing the dole queues and making your country richer and more well off. That makes me so fucking sick

Guest allsystemsfail
Well that applies to traditional punk... Real punk music. But I don't think its the same for the sort of wishy washy punk culture we have nowadays' date=' where punk music is style as opposed to an ideal or message. Big difference between Sex Pistols and Sum 41... Yet they both say the are punk bands...?

So following that line, I agree about the real punk attitude... but I don't think it would be wrong to have a Mdern Christian punk band...[/quote']

I believe it still applies today. Sure, while it's true that outfits such as Sum 41, NFG, and Good Charlotte will claim to be punk, there are a lotta other outfits out there fucking shit up, and like many of the first wave of punk acts, are pushing for change.

Why then in america to this present day have all those southern religious tripe fuckers voted in that nazi motherfucker bush? Only thing that tells me is that religion is corrupt and lives under false pretenses. It's obviously standard preaching to vote in for dangerous ideas such as mass murdering of innocents' date=' declaring war on a nation that has not attacked, creating war for dollar signs, corportate crimes, taking all your out of work bums, low life, unemplolyable and sending them to their death thus easing the dole queues and making your country richer and more well off. That makes me so fucking sick[/quote']

I'm hearing you man, read my posts though. I DO NOT ADVOCATE THESE PEOPLES ACTIONS, i too think it is sick that people can use something like religion in such a horrible way.

Guest allsystemsfail
do not get me wrong i don't agree with the missuse of christianity over the years i.e the crusades' date=' mass witch burnings etc as i said it is often used as a weapon, as are all religions. and no christianity does not demand obedience to god, it asks you to love him and his creations, free will is an important part of christianity as a religion and it would not be possible to be subserviant to someone and maintain your free will.

i also don't regard the bible as a reference point, because lets face it its just a collection of stories that in those ages were used to put a message across. people thought diferently back then clearly so its not relevent by any means today.[/quote']

To love him and his creations? Christianity teaches us that nature, that all other living things, should be at man's service. That he can do with them as he pleases.

And the Bible is used in the practice of christianity is it not? Used so as to bring God's word to others? It is wrong to dismiss it, and its power.