aberdeen-music

burberry

Guest hexagram56

The so-called "alternative" community are becoming more prejudiced than "ned's"' date=' this thread is increasing proof.

Let me relate a little story..... I am a person who loves clothes. I wear things I like and take pride in my appearance and I actively dislike the scourge of emo (and the majority of modern) music. Whilst in town last week I had the misfortune of having to cross through the top of the St Nicholas centre, when some totally hardcore alternative kids with wild pink hair and a host of crazy piercings designed to offend and alarm their totally out of date parents who just "don't get them", started spewing a stream of obscenities featuring the phrase "emo" repeatedly.

After a pretty difficult conversation littered with 00's alt-culture slang and poorly formed words, I managed to work out I was being called "emo" because I was wearing a scarf and black jeans. I pointed out it was the middle of winter in Aberdeen, the most northernly major city in Britian and I was liable to freeze to death without appropriate winter accesories. They were having none of it though, I was Emo and that was it. As a guy who couldn't name three "Emo" bands and listens to pretty much exclusively 60's Swing music, Elvis and the Cramps, I found this a bit alarming and it left me wondering, are we all going to catch Flu this Winter for fear of being labeled Emo because some filth-bag from (Insert popular Emo band currently doing the rounds on Scuzz) wears a scarf.

Anyway, the moral of my fable is, alternative/rock fans are just as discriminitave as the Ned's your so quick to chastise, remove the moat from your own eye's before you start slagging off other people's clothes. And also, they're probably getting laid more than you.[/quote']

i cant believe how right you are my man, bang on!

I could say a speel of shite but you have said exactly what im thinking, it is soo pointless, maybe 2 - 3 years ago i was extremely prejudiced to anyone who is of different style but now i dont think there is a point in at all, what is the point in getting annoyed soo much

but right now im still annoyed with "neds" coz a group of them beat up my mate for just wearing a suit top and eyeshadow, so maybe people have more reason to bitch than others

chill out people

Basically my argument here is it has nothing to do with the scene' date=' but with the individual. I could wear a tracksuit tomorrow and it doesn't make me a ned. I do agree though that the 'ned' scene does foster a larger ammount of asshole that other ones.[/quote']

Also...what difference does another's interests and clothes make to anyone else? Unless their interests involve punching people in the back of the head randomly, or their clothes have razor-sharp edges, what does it matter?

Why do you care?

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a fuck what they wear. I can portray a ned by the way they barge themselves past you, their ridiculous posture, and their petty offense. They just go through fashion changes like everyone else

I haven't seen someone with a burberry cap for at least a month. I just think a lot of people (and myself) think Burberry looks like Stevie Wonder had a go at making tartan, this then leading to the assumption that we deem anyone who wears fake burberry as a ned. Like i said, I really couldn't care what they wear, their attitude stands out more

Guest tv tanned
The so-called "alternative" community are becoming more prejudiced than "ned's"' date=' this thread is increasing proof.

Let me relate a little story..... I am a person who loves clothes. I wear things I like and take pride in my appearance and I actively dislike the scourge of emo (and the majority of modern) music. Whilst in town last week I had the misfortune of having to cross through the top of the St Nicholas centre, when some totally hardcore alternative kids with wild pink hair and a host of crazy piercings designed to offend and alarm their totally out of date parents who just "don't get them", started spewing a stream of obscenities featuring the phrase "emo" repeatedly.

After a pretty difficult conversation littered with 00's alt-culture slang and poorly formed words, I managed to work out I was being called "emo" because I was wearing a scarf and black jeans. I pointed out it was the middle of winter in Aberdeen, the most northernly major city in Britian and I was liable to freeze to death without appropriate winter accesories. They were having none of it though, I was Emo and that was it. As a guy who couldn't name three "Emo" bands and listens to pretty much exclusively 60's Swing music, Elvis and the Cramps, I found this a bit alarming and it left me wondering, are we all going to catch Flu this Winter for fear of being labeled Emo because some filth-bag from (Insert popular Emo band currently doing the rounds on Scuzz) wears a scarf.

Anyway, the moral of my fable is, alternative/rock fans are just as discriminitave as the Ned's your so quick to chastise, remove the moat from your own eye's before you start slagging off other people's clothes. And also, they're probably getting laid more than you.[/quote']

*applause*

The roof of the St Nicholas Centre is becoming ridiculously intimidating. All these freakshows who think that to be different is to make yourself look outrageous (only didn't all your mates just go and get the same idea, so you just look like a bunch of fucking pod people) sit around and stare at you as you walk past, or skate/BMX really close to you, so you have to sidestep around them or stop walking to avoid collision.

And please don't people feed me shite about nothing for young folk to do. That might wash in remote areas or the suburbs, but there's fucking heaps in the city centre that you don't need to congregate on a thoroughfare and act like people are cutting through your turf just because they want to take a shortcut to Schoolhill and beyond.

They might not wear the stereotypical clothes, but they're neds by any other definition

Yeh, really fucking cool guys. I wish I'd been like you when I was younger.

As far as the sentiment behind the thread goes, just imagine someone started a thread 'I fucking hate blacks, they should be banned'...

*applause*

The roof of the St Nicholas Centre is becoming ridiculously intimidating. All these freakshows who think that to be different is to make yourself look outrageous (only didn't all your mates just go and get the same idea' date=' so you just look like a bunch of fucking pod people) sit around and stare at you as you walk past, or skate/BMX really close to you, so you have to sidestep around them or stop walking to avoid collision.

And please don't people feed me shite about nothing for young folk to do. That might wash in remote areas or the suburbs, but there's fucking heaps in the city centre that you don't need to congregate on a thoroughfare and act like people are cutting through your turf just because they want to take a shortcut to Schoolhill and beyond.

They might not wear the stereotypical clothes, but they're neds by any other definition

Yeh, really fucking cool guys. I wish I'd been like you when I was younger.

As far as the sentiment behind the thread goes, just imagine someone started a thread 'I fucking hate blacks, they should be banned'...[/quote']

It must be a really rare parallel dimension cross-over thing happening as for once I agree with basically every word you said,

Oh the horror!

The roof of the St Nicholas Centre is becoming ridiculously intimidating. All these freakshows who think that to be different is to make yourself look outrageous (only didn't all your mates just go and get the same idea' date=' so you just look like a bunch of fucking pod people) sit around and stare at you as you walk past, or skate/BMX really close to you, so you have to sidestep around them or stop walking to avoid collision.

[/quote']

just walk through the little bastards they all like to think they are hard but really they wouldnt do anything about it. Especially not with you ;)

Guest tv tanned
It must be a really rare parallel dimension cross-over thing happening as for once I agree with basically every word you said' date='

Oh the horror![/quote']

It's OK, just have a cold shower, you won't feel as dirty and violated then ;)

Another bugbear is the amount of litter the little shites leave behind, despite there being no shortage of bins.

i cant believe how right you are my man' date=' bang on!

I could say a speel of shite but you have said exactly what im thinking, it is soo pointless, maybe 2 - 3 years ago i was extremely prejudiced to anyone who is of different style but now i dont think there is a point in at all, what is the point in getting annoyed soo much

but right now im still annoyed with "neds" coz a group of them beat up my mate for just wearing a suit top and eyeshadow, so maybe people have more reason to bitch than others

chill out people[/quote']

is that me?or do u know sum1 else that happened to?

For the first 70 years of 'Burberry' the infamous Burberry tartan didn't even exsist. The man who thought of, and marketed 'Burberry' designed clothes for locals, and travelling sportsmen. He also invented the first ever water-proof material called gabardine. The first man to reach the south-pole in 1911 was completely fitted in Burberry-wear, which protected him from the elements, and the 'wet'. Burberry was commisioned in 1900 to be the sole uniform designer and outlet for the 'War officers'. The 'knight on horse' burberry logo was then commisioned to be stitched on the garments, to signify the worth and use of the clothes. Burberry designers were also the first to deisgn the 'trench coat' which is worn by many people today.

don't slag off 'Burberry'. slag off the 'tartan' which was originally illegaly copied but 'ned' outlets. do some research before you mouth off about something which has aided in many great achievements. you mihgt not be walkin round in waterproof clothin, had it not been for burberry.

oh dear, i see people are still waffling on about neds and Burberry, it really is sad that some people need to find someone to blame all of society's ills on - one minute its the National Front and now its people described as "neds" wearing Burberry clothes

some people in my family have Burberry stuff, my wife and my three sisters have Burberry handbags and my brother has a Burberry cap, why should they have to feel any discrimination from the wanker who started up this thread because he doesn't approve of their clothing purchases when its got fuck all to do with him?

i think its really sad and pathetic that some people's lives are really that empty that they have to go and single out people for the clothes they wear, that kind of behaviour is what you expect from primary school kids and not young adults :rolleyes:

keep inventing prejudices to make yourselves happier, its nice to see hypocrisy in action innit? ;)

Haha good excuse' date=' try it in about 2 months ;)[/quote']

What are you, a Yeti? it's freezing.

It's alright though, next time it's cold I'm just going to wrap up in my Machine Head hoodie and the fiery warmth of my rage at the nazi society that has spawned us but can't accept our radical pink hair and eye-lid piercing.

(Disclaimer - I don't actually have a Machine Head hoodie)

i think its really sad and pathetic that some people's lives are really that empty that they have to go and single out people for the clothes they wear' date=' that kind of behaviour is what you expect from primary school kids and not young adults :rolleyes:

[/quote']

But surely when even a national tabloid newspaper (The Sun) has a campaign running which calls all Burberry wearers 'Chavs' (Chelsea Averages apparently) then this would be off-putting enough for anyone even considering wearing the brand.

Even if I loved Burberry, I couldn't wear it now because of its tarnished image. It'd be like wearing a Michael Jackson T-Shirt.

Sue

But surely when even a national tabloid newspaper (The Sun) has a campaign running which calls all Burberry wearers 'Chavs' (Chelsea Averages apparently) then this would be off-putting enough for anyone even considering wearing the brand.

Even if I loved Burberry' date=' I couldn't wear it now because of its tarnished image. It'd be like wearing a Michael Jackson T-Shirt.

Sue[/quote']

When the tabloids identify a subculture, it tends to follow the following pattern:

1. Fear : "The Filfth and the Fury!" , "Roving neds hold Town Under Siege"

2. Riddicule: "This months Chav fashion" "Dozy ned leaves baby in shop after robbery"

3. Assimilation: ....

We'll see if it happens here.