aberdeen-music

Kids These Days

A.Pel

i suppose shoulve thought of that some people give in to peer pressure real quickly. but still.. its not right for 15 year olds to go about taking ecstaasy and other drugs

I agree 100% on the drugs but man yeah. It's just that I remember people that'd been bullied for much of primary school starting smoking and stuff when we all went up to Secondary just to fit in - if you're desperate enough you might do anything for acceptance :(

I agree 100% on the drugs but man yeah. It's just that I remember people that'd been bullied for much of primary school starting smoking and stuff when we all went up to Secondary just to fit in - if you're desperate enough you might do anything for acceptance :(

yea i see where youre coming from there. its just a shame to see the state some of those people get into because there in these sort of situations. even when its all there fault :moody: at least its not to common a thing in most schools. cant remember being much of a problem with people doing drugs seriously at any of the schools i went to. there was the occasional stories but u kno thats expected

i've dabbled in drugs in the past and it wasn't a great experciance watching my friends slip slowly into this state of not knowing where they are or who they are and they were the lucky ones...it's just shear stuipity do involve yourself with such things, especially after hearing storys of people dying

Peer pressure?

If people I knew pressurised me into take something that could kill me.... I wouldn't class them as a friend.

I've been asked many times to take all sorts of crap' date=' thankfully once I say no... the issue is dropped.[/quote']

maybe she saw the effect it had on someone else and thought it wouldn't do her any harm?

maybe she saw the effect it had on someone else and thought it wouldn't do her any harm?

I suppose... there are probably many reasons she took it. Like I said, she was probably too naive to realise the danger she was in.

i've done pretty much every drug going with the exception of crack and heroin (and fuck i was offered it a lot in the 80's), i suppose i was lucky at 15 i was addicted to glue, after i stopped sniffing every day which i did for six months (and to excess and to any fucking substance we could get our grubby little mits on) i suffered terrible hallucinations, had trouble breathing and thought i was gonna die. i went to the doctor and he told me i was addicted, i had to take a course for 2 months of the strongest sleeping pills he could prescribe. but what i'm saying is its an easy trap to fall into.

at the end of the day its about individual choice. i've done the best fucking drugs known to mankind and enjoyed the buzz immensely, i've also done bad drugs with fuck knows what mixed in with little of the real article was in there, had the shittiest comedowns, been ripped off, hung round on streets buying whatever shit i could off dodgy dealers. but i never really took to excess, friends of mine did and one ended up in coma but thankfully survived. when i was popping e's there was always people who'd take 2,3,4 etc. same with acid. people do bow down to pressure, when your that age you tend to hang around in groups and if everyone else is doing stuff then its difficult to say no.

i've done pretty much every drug going with the exception of crack and heroin (and fuck i was offered it a lot in the 80's)' date=' i suppose i was lucky at 15 i was addicted to glue, after i stopped sniffing every day which i did for six months (and to excess and to any fucking substance we could get our grubby little mits on) i suffered terrible hallucinations, had trouble breathing and thought i was gonna die. i went to the doctor and he told me i was addicted, i had to take a course for 2 months of the strongest sleeping pills he could prescribe. but what i'm saying is its an easy trap to fall into.

at the end of the day its about individual choice. i've done the best fucking drugs known to mankind and enjoyed the buzz immensely, i've also done bad drugs with fuck knows what mixed in with little of the real article was in there, had the shittiest comedowns, been ripped off, hung round on streets buying whatever shit i could off dodgy dealers. but i never really took to excess, friends of mine did and one ended up in coma but thankfully survived. when i was popping e's there was always people who'd take 2,3,4 etc. same with acid. people do bow down to pressure, when your that age you tend to hang around in groups and if everyone else is doing stuff then its difficult to say no.[/quote'] and look at you now! :up: joking dude...but i know where you are coming from (to some extent) it is really hard to say no

Guest neil ex
It just seems to me that the nation has slumped so much in the past 5 years.

Drinking figures are increasing at a rate that couldn't even have been predicted 3 years ago... let alone 5.

I'm with Tom on this one. Everyone has a choice at the end of the day' date=' everyone must understand the dangers they put themselves in. I have literally no sympathy for the girl, only her family and loved ones... Just putting herself in that situation is fucking stupid.

1) If it was through a friend, or just a random dealer, it was her own choice.

2) If it was in a club, what the fuck was she doing there? Bad things happen in clubs and pubs. Fact. At that age she probably was too naive to even be on the look out for getting drinks being spiked etc (eg: Everyone I know.... if they leave a drink unattended, they leave it for good).

It was her own fault as far as I'm concerned.

It's just shit that stuff like this is happening so much, more education should be given about what to do if someone has a bad reaction to drugs and the consequences of the drugs themselves. Enough of the patronising, "now, drugs are bad, kids" bollocks.[/quote']

i think you're missing phat tom's point. you're talking as if the girl was an adult when she's 15 years old. i doubt anyone that posts on this messageboard knows the real reason(s) why she died or why she took the pill in the first place. the chances of a person in a percentage dying from taking a random ecstacy tablet are slim to none. fifteen year olds don't think for themselves, that's simple.

how can you complain about drinking figures when you're constantly bragging about how drunk you get, and how stupid you act on drink?

I have literally no sympathy for the girl' date=' only her family and loved ones... Just putting herself in that situation is fucking stupid.

[/quote']

That someone puts themselves in a stupid situation doesn't mean that you shouldn't have sympathy for them. I've put myself if dozens of stupid situations, and most other people I know have, where they could be killed, raped, assaulted, etc... I'm sure the girl didn't take ectasy thinking she would die, the same as when you get plastered you don't think you'd choke on your own vomit in the middle of the night.

I think the consequences on this occasion are grossly disproportionate to the actions involved, and I have sympathy for pretty much anyone who dies so young, no matter how much their death can be attributed to their own actions.

Any governments' focus on the drugs issue is always askewed in terms of them appointing "drugs tsars", they always seem to appoint ex-police officers or politicians to take up such positions but these people are totally out of touch with the causes and effects of drug problems, they don't seek to gain any education about the problem but merely find ways and means of combatting against the problems and that tact is not the best way to deal with the drugs problems in any country that are seeking to lower drug-related issues like crime and addiction.

Like it or not, drugs are a fact of today's life and nothing will stop people taking them. The sensible thing to do is limit the worst effects. The worse thing about drugs is the dealers. They're the ones who target kids and cut drugs with all sorts of shite.

The most effective way to remove dealers from the loop, in my opinion, is to legalise drugs and sell them in a controlled and monitored manner in Boots. The dealers are out of business at a stroke and clean drugs and needles can be sold at their proper cost along with a small tax element to fund centres where people can be treated for addiction.

The need to steal to fund a habit would be drastically reduced, along with drug crime in general.

Not everyone would take drugs of course, just because they're legal (I certainly wouldn't!), just as not everyone drinks and smokes.

Like it or not' date=' drugs are a fact of today's life and nothing will stop people taking them. The sensible thing to do is limit the worst effects. The worse thing about drugs is the dealers. They're the ones who target kids and cut drugs with all sorts of shite.

The most effective way to remove dealers from the loop, in my opinion, is to legalise drugs and sell them in a controlled and monitored manner in Boots. The dealers are out of business at a stroke and clean drugs and needles can be sold at their proper cost along with a small tax element to fund centres where people can be treated for addiction.

The need to steal to fund a habit would be drastically reduced, along with drug crime in general.

Not everyone would take drugs of course, just because they're legal (I certainly wouldn't!), just as not everyone drinks and smokes.[/quote']

spot on, which makes me go back to my previous point, just who the hell is pulling the strings? the government or the very powerful drug lords?

Guest neil ex

There was an interesting article in the times yesterday about Danielle Beccan and how she might have been shot by drug dealers, it was basically an article for legalising prohibited drugs. it mentioned estimated weekly figures that some dealers make, an income that comes without tax. i just wonder, if there was less of a market for drug dealers, what else they might turn to to aid their luxurious lifestyles. however, saying that, selling bad drugs, ripping people off etc, is certainly something that would benefit the public immensly, if rid of or atleast reduced and is something that needs to be worked on.

there would still be drugs available on the streets, but by legalising drugs, they could considerably cut down the numbers buying shite off the streets. i think drugs would have to be available at a fairly cheap price, but some might argue that it would have negative effects, but i don't think legalising drugs would encourage anyone to use them, regardless of how cheap they would be made available. critics might also argue that it might make it harder for users, to stop, though i doubt that. it might make users more willing to buy though, but i'm not sure about that.

questions for those in favour of legalising drugs......

would you legalise every possible drug available on the streets? would you legalise, for example, LSD, a drug that is said to be non addictive, harder to get a hold of than the likes of MDMA these days, and i'd imagine (might be wrong) doesn't get cut with shite (that's if it is LSD you're buying, which is yet another case of buying shite drugs, i just presume it wouldn't happen as frequently as it does with the likes of speed and other powders)?

where would drugs be available to buy?

who would drugs be available to? for example, would anyone over a certain age be able to buy highly addictive drugs like heroin and crack cocaine?

i'm definately 'staggering' towards legalising drugs.

what about those against legalising drugs? what are your arguments?

Guest neil ex
Any governments' focus on the drugs issue is always askewed in terms of them appointing "drugs tsars"' date=' they always seem to appoint ex-police officers or politicians to take up such positions but these people are totally out of touch with the causes and effects of drug problems, they don't seek to gain any education about the problem but merely find ways and means of combatting against the problems and that tact is not the best way to deal with the drugs problems in any country that are seeking to lower drug-related issues like crime and addiction.[/quote']

too true.

however, i'm not so sure if these people are 'out of touch', it would certainly appear so though. people are fed alot of rubbish about drugs just to put them off using. i heard a story about the american government telling the public that LSD made actual physical holes in your brain. i think that was a few years after it was invented, when it was banned.

spot on neil, good comments....

i saw a documentary last year where they tried a pilot scheme in plymouth and made as much morphine available to heroin addicts as they needed, unsuprisingly in this three month period the drugs related crime figures were down dramatically.

i think the government really still run scared at the thought that promoting the legalisation of drugs might actually affect the way people vote. i think each new generation that is coming through now is getting more and more into the idea that legalised drugs could actually work. i can see no alternative, as a part time druggy, i certainly would rather buy my fix legally in a chemist.

and i think it would take a huge amount of the glamour out of them as well which still has an effect on some teenagers. i mean going down your local chemist to buy an e would hardly be radical would it?

like em or loathe em, drugs are part of modern culture and society, as i always say work with em not against em, for years they've been trying to work against them and it hasnt worked, i'd rather see that money ploughed into research onto drugs instead of needless 'ooh dont take drugs they're bad you know' campaigns...

take the case of leah betts in 1995, she died because her parents simply didnt know what to do when someone has a bad reaction to E but instead of learning from this experience, they plastared her picture all over the tabloids and her parents go round schools saying 'ooh dont do drugs they're bad' those kind of scaremongering tactics help no-one, the chances of dying from an E are very remote hence all the high profile cases and mostly its always from a bad E mixed with all kinds of shite. i mean i read an article about a girl who died from eating peanuts because she had a bad reaction against them...

maybe a start would be to take the more liberal views towards drugs that our neighbours in Holland do, you can get your E's tested in clubs before you pop them although they do come down very hard on dealers over there which is no bad thing.

time for a change of strategy methinks.