aberdeen-music

Dedalus/Politik EP review on Planet Sound today

Guest stuartmaxwell

i really dont like the new dedalus stuff. the mix is poor, the bass and drums are out of time with the delays on the guitar and the vocals/lyrics are rubbish, sounds like two bands at once.

shame as i used to think they were great

politik stuff is great though!

i really dont like the new dedalus stuff. the mix is poor' date=' the bass and drums are out of time with the delays on the guitar and the vocals/lyrics are rubbish, sounds like two bands at once.

politik stuff is great though![/quote']

really? i disagree with every point there. i thought mark did a great job with the mix, it sounds great maybe not perfect but great for the time we had. the drums are pretty much perfect, maybe the bass goes out of time a little but it'd only be the odd now and again(perils of recording live) and the vocals sound brilliant. lyrics are a personal thing, i like some of stevens lyrics and i dislike others you're perfectly entitled to not like them though. i don't think the drums are out of time with the delays at all, it all fits together nicely.

i really dont like the new dedalus stuff. the mix is poor' date=' the bass and drums are out of time with the delays on the guitar and the vocals/lyrics are rubbish, sounds like two bands at once.

woah dude im all speakin mind etc but to be honest the way you have put that across is fairly poor dude. but sayin that each to own etc. personally love what heard of new dedalus stuff. infact i should prob buy a copy instead of just listenin to miss real shocks copy when see her :p

Guest stuartmaxwell
really? i disagree with every point there. i thought mark did a great job with the mix' date=' it sounds great maybe not perfect but great for the time we had. the drums are pretty much perfect, maybe the bass goes out of time a little but it'd only be the odd now and again(perils of recording live) and the vocals sound brilliant. lyrics are a personal thing, i like some of stevens lyrics and i dislike others you're perfectly entitled to not like them though. i don't think the drums are out of time with the delays at all, it all fits together nicely.[/quote']

aye no offence or anything dave, i really liked the live at the melon tree cd. :up:

the delays are way out on seconds particularly, the mix was too low on the drums and bass but that is my preference

i just dont think it fits together well, i think there is a lot of fine tuning that will prob come with time.

as i said its nothing personal, i was just dissapointed with it.

love the politik stuff, they have came on leaps and bounds. did they do it at exile too?

Yeah Politik are ace. I think they might be fed up me telling them though.

aye no offence or anything dave' date=' i really liked the live at the melon tree cd. :up:

the delays are way out on seconds particularly, the mix was too low on the drums and bass but that is my preference

i just dont think it fits together well, i think there is a lot of fine tuning that will prob come with time.

as i said its nothing personal, i was just dissapointed with it.

love the politik stuff, they have came on leaps and bounds. did they do it at exile too?[/quote']

no they did it in their own studio. the live at the lemon tree stuff sucked compared to the new cd in my opinion. it was out of time and has no bass for half of it! and it features a lyrically poor everything has gone to hell.

which bit of seconds? cause there's not alot of delay until the end but even then i think that sounds really good. i'm the first to admit that if we went and did it again we'd probably do it better but we're all really happy with the way it came out and feel the end result was better than we'd hoped for.

i know it's nothing personal, i don't take critiscm personally and i like to hear it so it's all cool. just cause i like to hear it doesn't mean i have to agree with it though :)

Guest stuartmaxwell

maquette is amazing, the vocals are so perfect in every way. the guitars are so good and the drums work very well, nasty snare though :s

i would love to see politik again soon, richard was fair whacking the kit at the last masamune gig. hat was one thing i think they lacked before,

maquette is amazing' date=' the vocals are so perfect in every way. the guitars are so good and the drums work very well, nasty snare though :s

i would love to see politik again soon, richard was fair whacking the kit at the last masamune gig. hat was one thing i think they lacked before,[/quote']

well, he'll be there tonight, want me to give you a buzz when we're in town?

I think the mix for the dedalus tracks is superb. Definitely the best sounding stuff I've heard come out of exile and better than most of the local CD's I've heard over the years. The lyrics are far better than their early stuff as well (like aforementioned everything's gone to hell) and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the delay settings or the sound in general either.

If you don't like the songs, fair enough, but I don't really think there's any substance in your criticisms of the technical side of the recording.

Guest stuartmaxwell
well' date=' he'll be there tonight, want me to give you a buzz when we're in town?[/quote']

were going to the black bull for some drinkies (not me im driving) at about 6-ish

i am def going in for 7 30 for dead or american

if you fancy meeting up just fire in, meeting a few deadenstereo chappies

maquette is amazing' date=' the vocals are so perfect in every way. the guitars are so good and the drums work very well, nasty snare though :s

i would love to see politik again soon, richard was fair whacking the kit at the last masamune gig. hat was one thing i think they lacked before,[/quote']

i don't play drums for masamune!

you're thinking of rikki.

love richard

what's planet sound? where is this? gimme gimme gimme!

Planet Sound is the best music magazine there is. It just isn't printed on paper. It's on teletext on 4, starting on page 350. It's the reason I've not missed a single gig I desperatly wanted to see in the past year so. And on Tuesday's, they review band demos, and also have a wee interview with the band that sent in the best demo from the previous week.

Incidently, the Dedalus/Politik EP got 3.5 out of 5, which I think was the highest or joint highest...

I can't remember what exactly the review said, except that they thought you were good enough to have your own CDs without putting out a joint effort, and that, like I say, they thought Dedalus were faultless. They're never the most thorough reviews, just a couple of short paragaphs, and this one was basically one paragraph on how you're both good enough on your own merits, one paragraph on how Politik are good, and the final paragraph on how Dedalus are better.

I'd have thought that whoever sent the EP in (presumably someone from Dedalus or Politik) would have been looking out for it and would know better than me.

I'd have thought that whoever sent the EP in (presumably someone from Dedalus or Politik)

I'd assume it was someone from Nomad AM.

it's a shame planet sound don't put their reviews on the net. It seems a shame to have to catch them on one day only.

I'd assume it was someone from Nomad AM.

it's a shame planet sound don't put their reviews on the net. It seems a shame to have to catch them on one day only.

Aye. It's rather annoying when I forget what day it is and think "ooh it's demos day" when in actual fact it's Wednesday. Also it'd be handier for visiting the websites of the bands so you can check out their demos yourself.

The pages change too quickly as well. It takes me at least two rotations to get everything read properly.