aberdeen-music

Dedalus/Politik EP review on Planet Sound today

i like some of stevens lyrics and i dislike others you're perfectly entitled to not like them though

I've always wondered if the name Dedalus was a refrence to the Greek mythology guy, or the James Joyce character Steven Dedalus, if it's the Jame's Joyce character it's a very clever name (with the singer having the name Steven etc).

I've always wondered if the name Dedalus was a refrence to the Greek mythology guy' date=' or the James Joyce character Steven Dedalus, if it's the Jame's Joyce character it's a very clever name (with the singer having the name Steven etc).[/quote']

I believe Dave Officer said it was the character from Portrait of the Artist...which is quite clever.

Dedalus got compared to Interpol (I think) and The Departure.

The guy is a Hookers Green fan too. I don't think he knew the connection.

Planet Sound stuff doesn't go on the web... it was going to, but then Teletext decided they were getting rid of their entire website to concentrate on getting everything on digital telly instead...

I worked there for a couple of days recently. It was ace. I got to do some demo reviews and singles and albums and errrrrrrr a 'quirky' profile on Avril. And stuff.

i really dont like the new dedalus stuff. the mix is poor' date=' the bass and drums are out of time with the delays on the guitar and the vocals/lyrics are rubbish, sounds like two bands at once.

shame as i used to think they were great

politik stuff is great though![/quote']

Thanks for your review there! Clearly you'd know a lot about good music, having been in Orwell. I'm not really surprised the bass is out of time, but it sounds great when you consider the fact Steven can't even play bass. But then, it's obvious to anyone who has ever witnessed your efforts that technical ability doesn't always amount to much.

Guest stuartmaxwell

ha, knew someone would pick me up on that!!what has it got to do with anything??

i like to think i know a bit about music,

i dont have techincal ability :(

but if you are willing to jump on my shoulders anytime i provide honest opinions about bands (instead of backslapping because they are friends of mine) then next time my new band play up in abdn ill give you a shout and you can come along and be un-impressed etc blah blah

i only know dave in dedalus and i like hime, good guy. doesnt mean im going to make exceptions etc

perhaps the way i said it was wrong, i was in a rush etc etc but the points were there,

sorry

Guest neil ex
Thanks for your review there! Clearly you'd know a lot about good music' date=' having been in Orwell. I'm not really surprised the bass is out of time, but it sounds great when you consider the fact Steven can't even play bass. But then, it's obvious to anyone who has ever witnessed your efforts that technical ability doesn't always amount to much.[/quote']

not to mention that maxwell is a bit of a wanker and he has a suspect fringe.

Guest stuartmaxwell

ha ha ha

i love you neil ex

GOFONES

it kinda annoys me that people have to bring what i (shamefully) have done/not done in the past when i give an honest opinion about there band,

the great thing is dedalus themselves havent gotten annoyed, just others and there so called manager, suppose its a testiment to thweir maturity, given 90% of this board are knuckleheads

Thanks for your review there! Clearly you'd know a lot about good music' date=' having been in Orwell. I'm not really surprised the bass is out of time, but it sounds great when you consider the fact Steven can't even play bass. But then, it's obvious to anyone who has ever witnessed your efforts that technical ability doesn't always amount to much.[/quote']

Harsh and uncalled for that. Orwell were ace. And even if you didn't like them there's fuck all point in bringing them up in this thread.

Whether Maxi didn't like the CD or not there's no point getting personal about it. he gave an honest review of the CD, he didn't slag off the bands just said what he thought.

i really dont like the new dedalus stuff. the mix is poor' date=' the bass and drums are out of time with the delays on the guitar and the vocals/lyrics are rubbish, sounds like two bands at once.

shame as i used to think they were great

politik stuff is great though![/quote']

I love the Dedalus/Politik EP, especially the Dedalus tracks. Mark has done an excellent job with the mix and the use of Delay especially on 'Seconds' is fantastic. This is the strongest release from an Aberdeen band(s) in a ages...very impressed!

i don't feel insulted about being comapared to snow patrol. final straw was the finest thing sebadoh never did :)

yea i don't see the point in what heather(who doesnt' actually manage dedalus but it's a running joke) responded with. we're big enough to look after ourselves and to accept someones honest critiscm for what it is, they're own opinion(well i am anyway, guess i can't speak for anyone else in the band).

surely the important thing here is that we're getting some good press!! yay us!! cmon, slap our backs!! :)