aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

Guest stuartmaxwell
Erm' date=' that would be in Glasgow. Did you mean the AECC? :rolleyes:[/quote']

same thing, except one is just uglier than the other

an aircraft hanger is an aircraft hanger :rolleyes:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to return to the original question:

What type of music do you have up there? Do you have rock nights? rock clubs/pubs? I ask because I know nothing I'm afraid. Where I live we have a rather good Indie/punk/rock-in-general scene and I hate to give it up but Aberdeen is too far to return home for the weekends.

ANSWER: YES! :up:

anything you can tell me about your music scene would be great.

Well you asked for it! Now for the long winded drivel part.

We have a thriving music scene in Aberdeen right now. I have a friend who's just absconded from Uni in Edinburgh to return to this alleged fishing village, because in his opinion the scene in Aberdeen is waaaay better. Given that Edinburgh is a much larger (and non-Aberdonians would have us believe superior) city, with a cultural heritage, AND was the location for Trainspotting... then WHOA! Aberdeen MUST be good... Oh and I neglected to mention that his girlfriend lives here.

Scan through this site and you'll encounter dozens if not hundreds of bands, most purveyors of original rock orientated music. Unfortunatley they're not all old enough to drink yet (at least not in my bar) <---*joke*, but give it a year or two and this town will be party central. At least I fuckin hope it will. No it will. I'm pretty sure of that. Yes.

As for rock orientated bars and clubs... some people posting on this thread would have you believe that the city would benefit from more places blah de blah... those are the same people that complain that "everywhere was quiet". Sure it was - but that's what happens when you have 1 pub per head of population :) Like: "We've only got 10 or so rock orientated bars and venues. BIG SIGH! I hate going to the same place 2 years in a row... BIG SIGH. What are we going to do with ourselves? I know let's just stay in and moan about how there aren't enough places catering exclusively for garage emp post modern jazz, err that we can't be arsed going to."

Other posters have already listed the various rock orientated establishements, albeit with their own subtle spin *detects the sound of various axes' grinding*. I'd also add the Blue Lamp to that list. They put some decent bands on. And their toilets are nice.

The reason I know we have a good scene up here is because I was also around 10 years ago. In fact I've been around for 34 years truth be told. Back then there was only 2 rock orientated bars... and they focused almost exclusively on crusty covers bands doing mediocre version of Basket Case. Hmm wait, delete the "almost". (takes deep breath) YES IT WAS SHIT BACK THEN. Such is the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Apparently there were some original bands around, just nowhere for them to play, thus I never saw any :( That's all changed. As far as I'm concerned I've died and gone to heaven.

We also have a lot of good 'name' touring bands coming up to Aberdeen now, on a regular basis. Drummonds and Moshulu especially are putting a lot of effort into this cause.

If you are from Hull then you probably know of a band called Planet 10, they played The Moorings a few months back. Ask them what they thought of the scene in Aberdeen but take into account that I bought a T-shirt from them, and gave them loads of cheap drink. In fact one of them ended up being sick.

Personally I'd move to Aberdeen, but then I've never lived/been anywhere else, and my entire experience of the North East of England is based on watching "Last of the Summer Wine".

Now the real issue here is whether we want you. Well a lot depends on whether you have ginger hair, but personally I think it would be great, as it would get around issue of over provisioning and give Luminar the scope to open another 20000 capacity venue.

Hope to see you soon :up:

its a pretty good place (moshulu esp) everyone has already said where is good' date=' ignore Rune, moshulu DO reqests (he seems to make it his lifes work to winge about shops and clubs not playing grindcore) its not all emo either. a friday consists of: metal, emo, screamo, punk, HC, Pop.[/quote']

Nothing like bringing up previous posts. nothing better to do?

You must have very little to think about

Lovely. You continue to impress. If you decide to come up this way' date=' you will be among friends. Oh, I've just invented a joke! Here goes:

Q. How many emo kids does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 10. One to change it, and nine to collectively feel betrayed by it![/quote']

personally, i'm getting bored with the emo kid crying thing. Can anyone actually fully describe what emo is? Isn't all music to some extent emotional? You should just say you don't like whiney rock music. I'm confused because Rights Of Spring are supposedly one of the bands that were first described as emotional harcore...fair enough. Now everyone from Weezer to whatever are emo. I cant make sense of it and as far as I'm concerned emo doesn't exist! There is no emo scene in Aberdeen because I don't think anyone knows what emo sounds like. It seems to be just a fad or an attitude.

personally' date=' i'm getting bored with the emo kid crying thing. Can anyone actually fully describe what emo is? Isn't all music to some extent emotional? You should just say you don't like whiney rock music. I'm confused because Rights Of Spring are supposedly one of the bands that were first described as emotional harcore...fair enough. Now everyone from Weezer to whatever are emo. I cant make sense of it and as far as I'm concerned emo doesn't exist! There is no emo scene in Aberdeen because I don't think anyone knows what emo sounds like. It seems to be just a fad or an attitude.[/quote']

for me, personally, i have a definition of what emo 'is'

for the music, it tends to be centered around heartbreak and nostalgic memories of how great their relationship was, how it's killing them to be apart etc etc etc. but in a rock genre. I dont agree with all of the stereotyping of emo, some groups i simply dont class emo.

i dont so much have a problem with the music exactly....but the people who are on the emo 'scene'.

Now i dont know what it's like in Abdn. but at least here your stereotypical emo kid:

dyed black hair,often long, with emo fringe (sorry, i can't sufficiently explain how the fringe looks, sorta long and sweeps over one half of the face)

they wear the black band shirts, ie, funeral for a friend.

jeans down their ass with a pyramid belt

random braclets on their arms, often cheap and/or tacky

now they also wear converse and blazers as stolen from the indie scene.

it's not even the way they dress. it crosses over into a lot of genres what they wear, the 'stereptypical' things worn by each 'scene'. I like quite a bit of what they wear.

not that

not really the music (altho too much gets me depressed)

no it's their ATTITUDE and that's what REALLY gets me

everyone's against them

and they whine over every petty thing

constantly

it's almost like the 'mosher' scene we had a while ago

they were so 'different' but by their very trying to be 'different' they were all the same.

against fashion but had fashions themselves

brands themselves.

it's their attitude to others.

that's what i dont like. it's like to by 'bi' is cool.

everone seems to be 'bi'

it's just a fad

in the same way, loads of emo kids are just following the crowd.

i don't ask you to agree with my views. that's just how it is where i live, i dont even live in scotland so *shrugz* it may be completely different where you live. but that's my definition and some of why i have a disliking for them.

if it makes it any better there's lots of other groups i'm against for their attitudes....

it isn't just discrimination against emo. lots of other groups are guilty of the same things.

i agree, it is a kind of fad and an attitude. but where the music is concerned, yes all music is emotional, but this particular type focuses mainly on break ups, heart aches, screwing up your face in emotional pain and rolling about on the floor. and that's how it's different to others.

i agree' date=' it is a kind of fad and an attitude. but where the music is concerned, yes all music is emotional, but this particular type focuses mainly on break ups, heart aches, screwing up your face in emotional pain and rolling about on the floor. and that's how it's different to others.[/quote']

But that could describe music by all sorts of bands, songs that spring to mind are Kayleigh and Script for a Jester's Tear by Marillion, by that definition its emo, emotional music about heartbreak etc in a rock vein.

This is the problem anyone comes into with trying to classify certain music styles by genre, if the band is good it should be practically impossible because theoretically most songs should have different elements in them. Again to take an example of a band I know, going back to Marillion, Marillion are in the genre of prog yet to my mind all bands should be progressive, it shouldn't be something thats a way of describing the music, each band should move on as new influences and ideas are infused into the band. You ask any music critic what genre Marillion are and they'll be described as prog, in reality their stuff now is almost just generic rock music, certainly more in common with U2 than Genesis.

I think if people stopped trying to pigeon hole muic and just liked what they liked then people would be a lot more open minded, the problem is with all these genre's is that many people won't listen to stuff that they feel is completely different because of different genre's when in reality they may be quite close to something they like, taking a glance at the CDs I've listened to lately, and its the music not the genre most definitely, so far recently my playlist has consisted of: Joe Walsh, The Eagles, Marillion, Fish, David Devant and his Spirit Wife, Racine, Def Leppard, Metallica, Magnum, Pulp, Genesis, Dido, Tatu, Foo Fighters, Queen, Bowie, Asia, Paul Rodgers, the H Band, Jo McCafferty and the Boomtown Rats, amongst many others.

cheers

Stuart

Not to sound funny' date=' but is there a single subject you can think of that you can't link to marillion?[/quote']

Yep, they're the band I have the most knowledge of, and in this case they fit right into the point i was making about a band very much judged on a perceived genre and not on the quality of their music. In fact from the music I do listen to I can't think of a band that have been damaged more by preconceptions about their style based on the media and public pigeon hole.

Anyway its no worse than Hog and Devin ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I think if people stopped trying to pigeon hole muic and just liked what they liked then people would be a lot more open minded' date=' the problem is with all these genre's is that many people won't listen to stuff that they feel is completely different because of different genre's when in reality they may be quite close to something they like, taking a glance at the CDs I've listened to lately, and its the music not the genre most definitely, so far recently my playlist has consisted of: Joe Walsh, The Eagles, Marillion, Fish, David Devant and his Spirit Wife, Racine, Def Leppard, Metallica, Magnum, Pulp, Genesis, Dido, Tatu, Foo Fighters, Queen, Bowie, Asia, Paul Rodgers, the H Band, Jo McCafferty and the Boomtown Rats, amongst many others.

cheers

Stuart[/quote']

i agree with a lot of what you say, i think a varied musical choice is well...almost healthy i guess. you shouldnt not listen to something cos it's the wrong genre for you. no, let me rephrase. you shouldnt judge a piece of music on what it's 'classed' as, and refuse to listen to it simply because you discriminate against that style. genres and music have a lot of grey areas, styles blur into one another, that's how it goes and some of the best bands come from blending those stereotypes and reforming and making it into something new.

like i said, it isnt the music, it's the attitude of those that listen to it. but that applies to lots of groups.

We have a thriving music scene in Aberdeen right now. I have a friend who's just absconded from Uni in Edinburgh to return to this alleged fishing village' date=' because in his opinion the scene in Aberdeen is waaaay better. Given that Edinburgh is a much larger (and non-Aberdonians would have us believe superior) city, with a cultural heritage, AND was the location for Trainspotting... then WHOA! Aberdeen MUST be good... Oh and I neglected to mention that his girlfriend lives here.

Scan through this site and you'll encounter dozens if not hundreds of bands, most purveyors of original rock orientated music. Unfortunatley they're not all old enough to drink yet (at least not in my bar) <---*joke*, but give it a year or two and this town will be party central. At least I fuckin hope it will. No it will. I'm pretty sure of that. Yes.

As for rock orientated bars and clubs... some people posting on this thread would have you believe that the city would benefit from more places blah de blah... those are the same people that complain that "everywhere was quiet". Sure it was - but that's what happens when you have 1 pub per head of population :) Like: "We've only got 10 or so rock orientated bars and venues. BIG SIGH! I hate going to the same place 2 years in a row... BIG SIGH. What are we going to do with ourselves? I know let's just stay in and moan about how there aren't enough places catering exclusively for garage emp post modern jazz, err that we can't be arsed going to."

Other posters have already listed the various rock orientated establishements, albeit with their own subtle spin *detects the sound of various axes' grinding*. I'd also add the Blue Lamp to that list. They put some decent bands on. And their toilets are nice.

The reason I know we have a good scene up here is because I was also around 10 years ago. In fact I've been around for 34 years truth be told. Back then there was only 2 rock orientated bars... and they focused almost exclusively on crusty covers bands doing mediocre version of Basket Case. Hmm wait, delete the "almost". (takes deep breath) YES IT WAS SHIT BACK THEN. Such is the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Apparently there were some original bands around, just nowhere for them to play, thus I never saw any :( That's all changed. As far as I'm concerned I've died and gone to heaven.

We also have a lot of good 'name' touring bands coming up to Aberdeen now, on a regular basis. Drummonds and Moshulu especially are putting a lot of effort into this cause.

If you are from Hull then you probably know of a band called Planet 10, they played The Moorings a few months back. Ask them what they thought of the scene in Aberdeen but take into account that I bought a T-shirt from them, and gave them loads of cheap drink. In fact one of them ended up being sick.

Personally I'd move to Aberdeen, but then I've never lived/been anywhere else, and my entire experience of the North East of England is based on watching "Last of the Summer Wine".

Now the real issue here is whether we want you. Well a lot depends on whether you have ginger hair, but personally I think it would be great, as it would get around issue of over provisioning and give Luminar the scope to open another 20000 capacity venue.

Hope to see you soon :up:[/quote']

:laughing:

Comedy post!

Guest WalkingOnGlass

im sorry but some of the posts in this thread are absolute balls.

There is some good ones but jesus...Its stupid that all these people who have no clue at all comment on "emo" and "screamo" etc...

Like all these people who call alot of bands that are blatantly modern day metal or metal core (not like the one i sing for...oh no..) emo.

Bollocks...most of you have absolutely no clue...whatsoever...about much at all it seems.

Ben

i was thinking the smae thing in a way' date=' but dont like starting arguments, but looks like one shalll surely arise now.....[/quote']

what's the point in arguing about it. as far as im concerned. each to their own :up:

I'm withdrawing from the emo discussion, as someone said before. It's totally repetative and people get way to worked up about something which, quite frankly, doesnt really matter.

what's the point in arguing about it. as far as im concerned. each to their own :up:

I'm withdrawing from the emo discussion' date=' as someone said before. It's totally repetative and people get way to worked up about something which, quite frankly, doesnt really matter.[/quote']

welcome to the world of the aberdeen music scene! they all love each other really :partyboy:

Hmm' date=' I bought a Marillion album the other day, hmmm.... its not that good. Bit cheesy and boring really.

On another subject, who likes Moby???[/quote']

which one ? They have done some albums that aren't startling and a few classics, i still hold you can't appreciate either Fish or Marillion unmtil you've seen them live, they are amongst the top 5 bands i've ever seen live.

Moby has done some great things but every so often he does stuff that is so uninspired its shocking, in general i do like his stuff tho.

Cheers

Stuart

Haha what a load of shit. "oh i hate emo it must be shite" God how many threads need to go on like this?? What i find funny is, all you "metal heads" or whatever say "all emo kids do is moan" but then at the same time all you seem to do is moan about them. How you can sit there and say all emo kids do is moan is beyond me cause its all you do!!! "oh emo is shit, so much whining" well stop going on about it then and let it die the death its going to. But sitting there moaning about moaning seems a bit hypocritical does it not??

Get over it grow up and go moan about something else please!!!!

Your as boring, no wait your far more boring than all this emo shit thats going about!!!

Emo is talentless fad. It's way too limited musically. Anyone who knows real music with real musicians will recognise this. I'd bet anyone who listens to emo doesn't have a clue about what real music is.

it's way too easy to jump on the bandwagon and become fashionable by listening to this musical fad, its even harder for people these days to like real bands that aren't a part of this fucking scener trend

Emo is talentless fad. It's way too limited musically. Anyone who knows real music with real musicians will recognise this. I'd bet anyone who listens to emo doesn't have a clue about what real music is.

it's way too easy to jump on the bandwagon and become fashionable by listening to this musical fad' date=' its even harder for people these days to like real bands that aren't a part of this fucking scener trend[/quote']

Haha backs up my point exactly. So come on then what is real music???

I think that has to be one of the most fucking stupid things ive read on here yet.

Haha backs up my point exactly. So come on then what is real music???

I think that has to be one of the most fucking stupid things ive read on here yet.

Real music let me educate you. Bands like nine ince nails, tool, fugazi, dinosaur jr, alice in chains, nirvana.

Want any more?